Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:11 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times

Advertisements

People don't seem to know their neighbors anymore. Nor do people "reach out" to neighbors when life presents a tough moment ( a death in the family).

I remember as a kid, "we"(my family) knew all of our neighbors and they knew us. When someone died, the neighborhood collected money for flowers,food,etc for the family.

We had swim parties, cookouts and such.

TODAY---people slip away in their homes to never been seen until they come back home at 5pm, the next day from work. I've notice people can be outside washing their cars and will not even wave to the neighbor across the street watering flowers.

It's not exclusive to my neighborhood. People have become more interested in their mobile device than they are the human soul.

People try to say--"we're sooooo busy". People should be less busy as a result of this wonderful technology we have. I thought It made life easier? No.

Do you know your neighbors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 03:00 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
This depends, to a large extent, on what part of the country you're in. As for technology ...everyone has their head buried in a cell phone, Ipad, Tablet or other device thanks to it. No need for real life interaction. In some areas a constant never ending influx of outsiders (many with gang like mentalities) coming and going in neighborhoods. Open borders with enablers harboring several families in single family homes. There are many reasons. I know our neighbors in our little niche (bubble).

Old 02-21-2015, 04:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times
I know my neighbors. It’s important to have a relationship with them at arms length. You don’t have to get too personal but at least know who they are and their names, even better get a phone number. You might need it in an emergency. You never know when it’s important to call them for their own security should you see something strange going on in the area. I know all my neighbors and their phone numbers and it’s come in handy a couple of times.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM

22,859 posts, read 6,437,988 times
We talk to 2 of our neighbors if we happen to see them..another neighbor is nice but we don't
talk much, next door house is going into foreclosure, they never had much to do with us..
(been here almost 10 years)....they are the 4 closest neighbors...lots over an acre each.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:56 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,016,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I know my neighbors. It’s important to have a relationship with them at arms length. You don’t have to get too personal but at least know who they are and their names, even better get a phone number. You might need it in an emergency. You never know when it’s important to call them for their own security should you see something strange going on in the area. I know all my neighbors and their phone numbers and it’s come in handy a couple of times.
I'll bet you're over age 50?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:42 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times
And, I'm over 70. What does that have to do with it?
We live in small town, USA, know our neighbors, help one another shovel snow and mow grass, and most everybody knows everybody. Attendance to our town council meeting is rewarded with a cookie and a cup of red juice. Our 3 cops walk the beat and stop to chat. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:26 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
I know one of them, a nice older lady, we spoke several times when I moved here, we even had lunch together once. Then I had my baby. And then my child got very sick (cancer). Definitely a time when you'd need people to reach out. She didn't. Worse, IMO, she is involved with a very active group of ladies in the neighborhood, who help local charities and people in the community etc... she obviously did not communicate about my situation. I'm not angry with her or anything, just a little sad and disappointed.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:07 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Same here. We're not buddies, but we know each other's names and look out for each other. I also belong to a website called Next Door that is for residents of our neighborhood. Membership is by invitation only. We exchange information of interest to the community such as events, volunteer opportunities, recommendations for service people and warnings about criminal activity in the area.

Yes, I'm over 50.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,202,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Do you know your neighbors?
I know them just enough to not like them and not want anything to do with them. Blame the acoustics of my residence.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:31 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
What does knowing your neighbors or not knowing them have to do with anything? Is it negatively impacting my life to not interact with my neighbors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics