Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,620,572 times

Advertisements

I’m filling in for Kobber today. So scary and exciting! Here we go:

Question (and subquestion) of the Day:

What kinds of volunteer activities have you participated in over the years? What do you like and dislike about volunteering?

Bonus Question:

Would you ever voluntarily –

Walk on the roof of the tallest building in your area?
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands?
Crawl through a cave with no light?
Let a tarantula walk all over you?
Give a public speech?
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean?
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm?
Feed a snake?

Extra Credit:

Do any interesting plants volunteer in your garden or yard? If so, what are they?

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to the "Volunteer State"?

The Obligatory Food Question:

Have you ever volunteered to make food for (or bring food to) a special event in your community? If so, what did you make or bring?

February 24, 2015 is:

National Tortilla Chip Day
World Spay Day

Thought for the Day: "Wherever a man turns, he can find someone who needs him." Albert Schweitzer

Last edited by 601halfdozen0theother; 02-23-2015 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 11:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,904,188 times

Bonus Question:

:hamd
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands?

Yes, but you'd soon hear this....

Give a public speech?

Swim alone in the most remote placein the Pacific ocean?

Run in an open field during athunderstorm?

Feed a snake?

Extra Credit:
Do any plants volunteer in your garden or yard?If so, what are they?

Just for Fun:
Nope!
The ObligatoryFood Question:
Have you ever volunteered to makefood for (or bring food to) a special event in your community?If so, what did you make or bring?

February 24,2015 is:

WorldSpay Day
Thought for the Day: "Wherever a man turns, he can find someone who needs him." Albert Schweitzer

Thanks 601halfdozen0theother! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 02-23-2015 at 11:41 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 12:44 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,314,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

What kinds of volunteer activities have you participated in over the years? What do you like and dislike about volunteering? Can't think of a single thing. It's something I'm not good at making myself do.

Bonus Question:

Walk on the roof of the tallest building in your area? Highly, highly doubt it.
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands? Yes. Have done it before.
Crawl through a cave with no light? Nope!
Let a tarantula walk all over you? More likely than the above most of these others. I'm less arachnaphobic than most people.
Give a public speech? I stammer, so no. I even resent being asked questions in staff meetings.
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean? No.
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm? Yes, probably.
Feed a snake? Hells, no!

Extra Credit:

Do any interesting plants volunteer in your garden or yard? If so, what are they? Oh, every year I find something that I know I didn't plant. Looks like I might have a foxglove popping up, and I didn't put one there. Unfortunately - while I love foxgloves - it's growing in a bad spot.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to the "Volunteer State"? Doubt it.

Have you ever volunteered to make food for (or bring food to) a special event in your community? If so, what did you make or bring? Only for work.
Thanks, 601. Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

Old 02-24-2015, 12:48 AM

61,875 posts, read 87,361,740 times

What kinds of volunteer activities have you participated in over the years? What do you like and dislike about volunteering?

I was tutoring adults seeking to pass GED exam (math and science) at a local church. I liked to help adults achieve high school equivalency diplomas and move on to college, and employment. I still donate several hours a month to help kids with their homework.

Bonus Question:

Walk on the roof of the tallest building in your area? Not really
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands? Maybe. I am not overly afraid of germs.
Crawl through a cave with no light? No.
Let a tarantula walk all over you? No
Give a public speech? Yes, I speak frequently in front of large groups at my work.
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean? Not really.
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm? Probably.
Feed a snake? Maybe.

Extra Credit:

Do any interesting plants volunteer in your garden or yard? If so, what are they? Weeds. Some are pretty and interesting.
Just for Fun:

Yes, last year.

Have you ever volunteered to make food for (or bring food to) a special event in your community? If so, what did you make or bring?
Often - potluck at work. I am known to make good salads and spaghetti

February 24, 2015 is:

World Spay Day

You did very well, 601halfdozen0theother
Happy Tuesday, everyone!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-24-2015 at 01:07 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 01:50 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,812,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post

For many school & recreational activities for my kiddos & grand-kiddos over the years, plus business, civic and non-profit organizations - have always found it rewarding but some can become overly time-consuming.

Bonus Question:

Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands? For my sick family members only if needed.
Give a public speech? If I needed to.
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean?
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm?
Feed a snake?
All the rest are a resounding no, oh he!! no, no & no way in heck! I'm not superwoman & my mama didn't raise no fool!

Extra Credit:

Do any interesting plants volunteer in your garden or yard? If so, what are they?
Just the plain 'ole weed variety... except for those darn mimosa tree seedlings that pop up everywhere!

Just for Fun:

Lived there for five years, go Big Orange!

Hundreds of times for many different occasions over the years, cakes, pies, entrees of all sort & appetizers, etc., way too many to name.

February 24, 2015 is:

World Spay Day

Thanks 601halfdozen0theother for Tuesday's QotD!

To All ...

Old 02-24-2015, 02:11 AM

21,567 posts, read 8,745,386 times

In the 1970s I volunteered to help out when planeloads of Vietnamese orphan children arrived in the U.S. in an operation called the Babylift. I helped the adoptive parents find their children.

In the 1980s and 1990s I donated blood at least once a year; I need to start doing that again. I also volunteered at our company's annual children's Christmas party welcoming the families and directing them to the line for Santa, passing out cupcakes, and things like that.

One holiday season fellow employees and I went caroling at hospitals and nursing homes around the city.

In 2007 I volunteered for a medical study at a local teaching hospital.

What I like about volunteer work: The knowledge that I'm helping others and making a small difference in the world.
What I dislike about volunteer work: It can demand a lot of your time and energy, and no matter how much you do, it feels like it's never enough.

Bonus Question:

Walk on the roof of the tallest building in your area? No
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands? Yes
Crawl through a cave with no light? No
Let a tarantula walk all over you? Yes, I'm not afraid of them.
Give a public speech? No
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean? No
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm? No
Feed a snake? Maybe

Extra Credit:

We have a lot of ivy and some blackberry vines on the hill behind our house.
Just for Fun:

No, I've never been in Tennessee.

No, I haven't brought food to any events other than pot lucks or parties with family, friends or co-workers.

Thanks, 601halfdozen0theother. Nice job!

Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,160,683 times
many, rewarding

yes
nope
nope
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

run of the mill dandelions

Millington

yes, my wife made it

Old 02-24-2015, 04:48 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,872,309 times

What kinds of volunteer activities have you participated in over the years? What do you like and dislike about volunteering? Well, I'm a volunteer usher at the Hopkins Center, but I get to see shows for free, so the motivation isn't just to help out. I volunteer at school to help out in various ways...... Can't think of much else.

Bonus Question:

Walk on the roof of the tallest building in your area? Would not
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands? I work in an elementary school & pick up after kids all the time
Crawl through a cave with no light? No, thanks. I would at least want a headlamp.
Let a tarantula walk all over you? AAHHHHHHHHHHH!!
Give a public speech? Would not.... definitely would not.
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean? Besides the germy tissue, this is the most likely so far.
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm? Not voluntarily, just for the heck of it!
Feed a snake? That's another no.

Extra Credit:

Do any interesting plants volunteer in your garden or yard? If so, what are they? Lots of wildflowers grow in the fields, teeny little strawberries and black raspberries.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to the "Volunteer State"? Haven't

The last thing I made was soup.... Squash and Apple soup.

Thanks for volunteering, 601!

Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 AM

126,305 posts, read 19,089,268 times

What kinds of volunteer activities have you participated in over the years? What do you like and dislike about volunteering? I LOVE VOLUNTEERING ..candy striper when I came to Canada,taught reading to ESL students when they arrived new in our country,helped the teacher on field trips (all that while mine were in school ),helped out at church,local charity and working at the homeless shelter cooking and cleaning < this is my passion and going to the senior home talking to them,play games with them and play Santa's helper at Christmas time..we must NEVER forget either of them and I donated many myself crochet hooked scarfs to homeless shelters

Bonus Question:

Walk on the roof of the tallest building in your area? no thank you
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands? did that many times with gloves
Crawl through a cave with no light? so long someone is with me and holds my hand
Let a tarantula walk all over you? only if I am being promised safety OR someone hits me over the head and I am unconscious
Give a public speech? no thank you,my palms were sweaty when I spoke in front of my children's elementary school..scary for me
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean? noooooooo
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm? does that include lightening? than absolutely and positively a big NO
Feed a snake? yes I would love to they are beautiful creatures

Extra Credit:

Do any interesting plants volunteer in your garden or yard? If so, what are they? yes clover with pink and white flowers,dandelions and many interesting weed or wildflowers

Just for Fun:

Have you ever volunteered to make food for (or bring food to) a special event in your community? If so, what did you make or bring? I only cooked at the shelter

February 24, 2015 is:

World Spay Day

..nice quote

THANK YOU 601halfdozen0theother and a marvelous day to you all

Old 02-24-2015, 05:19 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,260,370 times

What kinds of volunteer activities have you participated in over the years? What do you like and dislike about volunteering? Helping out in a school (with the very youngest ones, they were adorable!). Spent a helping out people in Manchester with various tasks like gardening, taking down old fences and for one lady I put together the stair gate for her baby. A week in London entertaining the elderly (putting on Tea dances, doing crafts and playing croquet). Helping out with disadvantaged children on a rough estate. Other things along those lines, mostly with the Church back when I was a Christian.

I liked meeting new people, seeing their happiness when we helped them. Wasn't really much to dislike.

Bonus Question:

Walk on the roof of the tallest building in your area? For sure, got no skyscrapers here so I think the tallest building is the paper factory - that's no bother
Pick up someone else’s germy tissue with bare hands? I pick up plenty of germy tissues that my OH and kid leave lying around
Crawl through a cave with no light? Sure
Let a tarantula walk all over you? No!
Give a public speech? With a bit of Dutch courage beforehand
Swim alone in the most remote place part of the Pacific ocean? Nope
Run in an open field during a thunderstorm? Sure
Feed a snake? Depends if its venomous or not

Extra Credit:

Do any interesting plants volunteer in your garden or yard? If so, what are they? No

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to the "Volunteer State"? No

Have you ever volunteered to make food for (or bring food to) a special event in your community? If so, what did you make or bring? Made some gluten free savoury muffins for the local Red Cross Spring sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics