Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 10:19 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,468,330 times

Advertisements

Recently, here in Toronto, a tire store owner forgot to lock the front door to his store, and also forgot to set the alarm system. He was distracted by a late arriving customer, and he forgot his usual end of the day routine.

So, the door is unlocked, the lights are on, and the place is empty..... Guess what happened ?

Nothing. Five different people came in and looked around, didn't find any one, and they left, with nothing.

A man came in and seeing that the place was empty, he reversed the OPEN sign, to CLOSED, and turned off the lights, then he drove to the local Police station to report the situation to the Toronto Police Service. The TPS sent a officer to the store, and they also called the owner's cell phone, to alert him.

The owner went back and found nothing missing, and no damage . The owner of the tire store has offered a complete set of new tires to the man who went to the Police station to report what he found.....the man didn't give his name to the desk Sgt at 31 Division......Just a Canadian guy doing the right thing.

Here is a link to the Toronto news article. Store owner forgets to lock up, customers respond in the most Canadian way : The Loop

Jim B. In Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2015, 10:58 AM

24,781 posts, read 28,611,019 times
Back in the 70's I could fly into Toronto from Rochester N.Y for a weekend.. they were building the CN Tower at the time.. many great places to eat.. One stands out.. Eddy's near the tower.. best prime rib I have ever had.. I think the last time I was in Toronto was in 72...

Old 03-05-2015, 11:21 AM

That was one of a number of establishments on King street, that were owned by the legendary Honest Ed Mirvish. He made his money as the owner of "Honest Ed's bargain house ", at Bloor and Bathurst. Low prices, and garish advertising signs . The huge Honest Ed's out door sign was a Toronto landmark , for 50 years. It was a block long, and had thousands of bulbs in it.

Later in his life MR Mirvish bought the Royal Alexandria theatre, a once great Toronto, live stage location, but by the 70's it was sadly run down. He spent a million of his own money to completely redo it, and single handedly , he brought about the revival of that part of the city's core. Now, he has passed, but his son David has built three more new venues along King Street, as well as several other locations in the city. Mirvish also bought the London theatre, The Old Vic, and a coup[le more in the UK.

Mirvish Entertainment is now a world wide corporation, mounting dozens of shows per year.

Toronto has over 40 live stage venues, and many shows do their "pre Broadway runs " in Toronto.

Phantom of the Opera ran here for 10 years, as did Les Miz, and Miss Saigon.

Any comments on the tire store story ?

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:00 PM

Did a couple concerts at the water front park... and a Night Club at the airport.. had a " Cave" theme as I remember.. When home on leave.. we grab a plane on Friday afternoon over to Toronto and back on Sunday morning...
Also the Castle.. so many years ago forgotten then name..

Old 03-06-2015, 05:51 AM

That would be Casa Loma. We call it the folly on the hill....

When he built it in 1914, Sir henry Pellatt was the richest man in Canada, by a large margin. The building was/is a amazingly intricate and novel mixture of styles, and whimsy.

By 1928 he was bankrupt, and he had to hold an auction to try to pay off his creditors. The city of Toronto reluctantly seized the property for back taxes, which he couldn't pay. It is still owned by the city, but a private entertainment company operates it, with a 30 percent cut of the profits going to the city treasury.

When you were flying into Toronto, what airport did you use ?

YZZ is busy as ever, but the Island Airport ( officially the Billy Bishop V.C. air field ) in the harbour is very handy as it is just 10 minutes from the city core. No jets, but lots of turbo prop commercial, and fixed wing medevac flights from northern Ontario, with critical care patients who are headed to the 7 trauma hospitals in the city centre.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,933,734 times
It says something about our society when doing the "right thing" is treated as an anomaly and warrants a news story.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 03-06-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-06-2015, 02:55 PM

62,065 posts, read 87,781,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It's says something about our society when doing the "right thing" is treated as an anomaly and warrants a news story.
^^^ Exactly!!! Sad, but true!

Old 03-06-2015, 02:59 PM

30,708 posts, read 16,352,003 times
I guess I'm surprised that happened in a city.

Small town-SOP

guess I'm guilty of stereotyping.

I will try to mend my ways.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:13 PM

73,189 posts, read 62,899,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Recently, here in Toronto, a tire store owner forgot to lock the front door to his store, and also forgot to set the alarm system. He was distracted by a late arriving customer, and he forgot his usual end of the day routine.

So, the door is unlocked, the lights are on, and the place is empty..... Guess what happened ?

Nothing. Five different people came in and looked around, didn't find any one, and they left, with nothing.

A man came in and seeing that the place was empty, he reversed the OPEN sign, to CLOSED, and turned off the lights, then he drove to the local Police station to report the situation to the Toronto Police Service. The TPS sent a officer to the store, and they also called the owner's cell phone, to alert him.

The owner went back and found nothing missing, and no damage . The owner of the tire store has offered a complete set of new tires to the man who went to the Police station to report what he found.....the man didn't give his name to the desk Sgt at 31 Division......Just a Canadian guy doing the right thing.

Here is a link to the Toronto news article. Store owner forgets to lock up, customers respond in the most Canadian way : The Loop

Jim B. In Toronto.
Wow. I can only say that is amazing.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:01 PM

Just a guess from 40 plus years ago.. I would say Turbo-Prop airport.. That's what we flew from Rochester.. so many years ago it's hazy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics