Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:50 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times

Advertisements

Today's Enthusiastic Questions:
If you could give a high 5 to anyone today, who would it be? Gee, I can't think of anybody. I guess I'll choose my goddaughter, Becca. Just because she's such a lovely and accomplished young lady.

What comes to mind when you think of Canada? Beautiful, fragrant pine forests; great fishing; great cities; very friendly people; excellent food.

Do you or yours have a home video game system? Yes. If so, which one? I have a Wii system.

What is your favorite video or arcade game, if you have one? I like the Wakeboarding and Sword Fighting and do these for aerobic exercise. Both are real strenuous workouts! For light activity, I like playing Frisbee golf. I've never played any video games where you just sit and play them. I got the Wii system to make exercise more enjoyable.

Ever seen or been affected, even mildly, by a volcano? I've never seen a volcano erupt, but I visited Mt. Saint Helens about 11 years after it exploded. It was stunning, to see the effects, even that much after the event.

Or would you visit one, as many do in Hawaii? I'd visit one in a heartbeat. I hope to go to Hawaii sometime in the next couple of years, and visiting at least one active volcano is high on my must-do list. I'd like to take a helicopter ride over one.

Ever had shoes shined while wearing them? If you mean by someone else, no.

If there was an uninhabited continent that people were moving to, would you consider moving there? Why or why not? It would depend entirely on the climate, what resources are available and who else is going.

Foodie Questions:
What foods or beverages are you craving right now? Chocolate. Dark, dark chocolate. All the time, every day.

If you could have any foods or beverages without health consequences, what would you add to or increase in your diet? Prime rib of beef; junk food such as potato chips and other nutritionally-void munchies.

Believe it or not Egg McMuffins are kind of a rip-off of (I mean inspired by ) eggs Benedict.
Have you ever had real eggs Benedict? If so, did you like them or ? Yes, many times. I love eggs Benedict for brunch or supper.

Today’s Word:
festschrift [FEST-shrift] noun, plural festschriften, festschrifts
(often written with initial capital letter)
a volume of articles, essays, etc., contributed by many authors in honor of a colleague,
usually published on the occasion of retirement, an important anniversary, or the like
Origin: 1900-1905, borrowed from German, equivalent to Fest "feast, festival" + Schrift "writing"
Interesting. I'd never seen nor heard that word before.

Edited to add: I lied! I did play a few video games, decades ago. I played the original Pong as well as Pac Man and Space Invaders. One of my co-workers in the early 80s had an Atari system and a few times she invited a bunch of us over to play the video games. It was totally cool at the time. (I was really good at Pac Man, by the way. )

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:58 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
If you could give a high 5 to anyone today, who would it be?
A co-workers SIL that was just awarded the Navy Cross.

What comes to mind when you think of Canada?
My brothers place in BC and the new house he is going to build.

Do you or yours have a home video game system? If so, which one?
No

What is your favorite video or arcade game, if you have one?
N/A

Ever seen or been affected, even mildly, by a volcano?
Was somewhat concerned about #1 som when he lived on the Big Island and the volcano was acting up.

Or would you visit one, as many do in Hawaii?
We did that when the volcano was flowing years ago.

Ever had shoes shined while wearing them?
Ive done that.

If there was an uninhabited continent that people were moving to, would you consider moving there? Why or why not?
Nope, I like my amenities.

Foodie Questions:
What foods or beverages are you craving right now?
A egg, ham, sausage and bacon breakfast burrito with salsa.

If you could have any foods or beverages without health consequences,
what would you add to or increase in your diet?
Fried food and booze.

Believe it or not Egg McMuffins are kind of a rip-off of (I mean inspired by ) eggs Benedict.
Have you ever had real eggs Benedict? If so, did you like them or ?
I've had them, they were OK, I'll take the Egg McMuffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=bjh;39239495]Hello all, here are . . .

If you could give a high 5 to anyone today, who would it be?
Probably John. He's had a difficult two weeks watching his sister go down hill.
What comes to mind when you think of Canada?
Happy childhood memories of visiting my great Aunt in her old house.
Do you or yours have a home video game system? If so, which one?

What is your favorite video or arcade game, if you have one?

Ever seen or been affected, even mildly, by a volcano?
No but we saw one in St. Lucia.
Or would you visit one, as many do in Hawaii?
Sure would love to see an active one.
Ever had shoes shined while wearing them?

If there was an uninhabited continent that people were moving to, would you consider moving there? Why or why not?
I'm way to social to be that isolated.

Foodie Questions:
What foods or beverages are you craving right now?
Those marshmallow bunnies. I ate my last one a couple of days ago.
what would you add to or increase in your diet?
Just give me unlimited chocolate covered marshmallow anything.
Have you ever had real eggs Benedict? If so, did you like them or ?
Sure it was good.

Today in History:
1780 University of Münster in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany founded
1818 US Senate ratified the Rush-Bagot Treaty, establishing the border with Canada
1853 1st passenger rail opened in India, from Bori Bunder, Bombay to Thane
1881 Bat Masterson fought his last gun battle in Dodge City, Kansas
1912 Harriet Quimby became 1st woman to fly an airplane across the English Channel
1941 Bob Feller of the Cleveland Indians threw only Opening Day no-hitter in MLB history, beating the Chicago White Sox 1–0
1991 British screenwriter David Lean, director of "The Bridge on the River Kwai," and "Brief Encounter," and adaptations of Dickens' novels among other films, died in London aged 83

Today's Quote:
"Life is a horizontal fall."
~Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963, French playwright

Today’s Word:
festschrift [FEST-shrift] noun, plural festschriften, festschrifts
(often written with initial capital letter)
a volume of articles, essays, etc., contributed by many authors in honor of a colleague,
usually published on the occasion of retirement, an important anniversary, or the like
Origin: 1900-1905, borrowed from German, equivalent to Fest "feast, festival" + Schrift "writing"

Today Includes:
Eggs Benedict Day
High Five Day
Save The Elephant Day
Wear Your Pajamas To Work Day

This Week Includes:
Animal Control Officer Appreciation Week
International Dark Sky Week, reducing light pollution at night
Library Week
Volunteer Week

Today's Picture:
Fog lifting from Banaue, Philippines rice terraces after planting season.

Made publicly available on wikipedia.org by photographer Jsinglador.

Happy Thursday!

Thanks bjh. John is coming home tomorrow but I will be at work.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:08 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
If you could give a high 5 to anyone today, who would it be? My friend Rick who is cycling in a 90 mile race next Saturday.

What comes to mind when you think of Canada? British Commonwealth.

Do you or yours have a home video game system? If so, which one? Nope.

What is your favorite video or arcade game, if you have one? Don't have one.

Ever seen or been affected, even mildly, by a volcano? Yes -- there are 3 active volcanoes in the middle of the North Island of New Zealand. A main road runs pretty close by and once when I was driving from Auckland to Dannevirke the road was closed because Mt. Ruapehu was erupting.

Or would you visit one, as many do in Hawaii? Yes, but not while the lava was flowing.

Ever had shoes shined while wearing them? Nope.

If there was an uninhabited continent that people were moving to, would you consider moving there? Why or why not? No -- too set in my ways.

What foods or beverages are you craving right now? None -- just had lunch.

If you could have any foods or beverages without health consequences, what would you add to or increase in your diet? I could eat much more bread of all kinds than I do right now -- love it!

Have you ever had real eggs Benedict? If so, did you like them or ? I have and I like it -- a yummy but very calorie-laden treat for a special occasion.

Thanks bjh and happy Thursday everyone!

Last edited by KiwiKate; 04-16-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-16-2015, 03:21 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Hello all, here are . . .

If you could give a high 5 to anyone today, who would it be?........... Vern Thanks Vern

What comes to mind when you think of Canada?...... O Canada and it's beauty... Dudley Doright

Do you or yours have a home video game system? If so, which one?... Pong

What is your favorite video or arcade game, if you have one?.....

Ever seen or been affected, even mildly, by a volcano? ... Nope

Or would you visit one, as many do in Hawaii?............ Not Hawaii ... New Zealand and hot springs

Ever had shoes shined while wearing them?...... Yes.. as a child in a train station

If there was an uninhabited continent that people were moving to, would you consider moving there? Why or why not?..... The See Food Sea Food Planet.. with steamed Sea Food

Foodie Questions:
What foods or beverages are you craving right now?....... DARK !!!! Chocolate bitter sweet...

what would you add to or increase in your diet?...... Steamed Sea Food.. Clams -- Crab -- Lobster

Have you ever had real eggs Benedict? If so, did you like them or ? Yes and not impressed.. I did like the 2-3 little white asparagus spears ... the sauces hum take it or leave it... rather have SOS on a biscuit.. real SOS not sausage ... hard salty chipped beef razor thin in a heavy cream sauce with black course pepper.. on a fresh home made biscuit..

Old 04-18-2015, 04:44 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
If you could give a high 5 to anyone today, who would it be? The Koolaid man. Oh, yeah. Why? Because he knocks down walls and delivers refreshment.

What comes to mind when you think of Canada? Woods and lakes. Their coins, which I get in change from time to time. Lots of Canadian entertainers in the US, too.

Do you or yours have a home video game system? If so, which one? Not at present.

What is your favorite video or arcade game, if you have one? PacMan and/or Ms PacMan

Ever seen or been affected, even mildly, by a volcano? Just dust off of the Mt St Helen's blast. It spread for hundreds of miles. Also made for some very red sunsets.

Or would you visit one, as many do in Hawaii? I'd like to see the Hawaiian volcano. I like the idea of riding a chopper over it.

Ever had shoes shined while wearing them? A long time ago. Used to be more prevalent in the lobbies of business buildings.

If there was an uninhabited continent that people were moving to, would you consider moving there? Why or why not? Not many takers then. If the climate was agreeable, I'd find it an intriguing prospect.

Foodie Questions:
What foods or beverages are you craving right now? Eggs and toast.

what would you add to or increase in your diet? Soda, pizza, cheeseburgers, cookies.

Have you ever had real eggs Benedict? If so, did you like them or ? Yes, and really enjoyed them.

Have a great weekend, folks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics