Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:30 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,330 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a small town?

Nothing as long as it isn't too far from a big city.

What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a big city?

Traffic.

At what age do you consider a person elderly?

There are teenage meth heads who look old and there are 80-year-old marathon runners. Who am I to say?

-Has that age changed much as you've grown older?

When you're a kid everyone is old.

What information do businesses too often leave off their websites or it's too hard to find?

Usually an actual way to contact. I rarely go to an official website for information.

If you or anyone you know lived or worked near a timezone line, does/did that affect daily life?
-For instance, do you have to make sure everyone knows WHICH time zone a meeting is in?

No.

Name a place that's beautiful.

A beach without brown water.

Considering Today's Quote (below) what are your thoughts on chivalry?

I don't get offended when a man holds a door open for me and I don't know why some women do. So what.

Foodie Question: For the herb basil, do you say "BAZ-ill" or "BAYZ-ill" or you tell us?

Bayz-ill.

If you have lived in a dwelling with a deck or balcony, did you get any use out of it? Like what?

I have a patio.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 AM

7,369 posts, read 5,483,693 times
Today is "Hot Enough For Ya Day" I hope everyone is as cool as they want to be.

Today's Questions:
What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a small town? none. I live in a small town.

What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a big city? Too big, too many people, crazy traffic, crime.

At what age do you consider a person elderly? 100
-Has that age changed much as you've grown older? no

What information do businesses too often leave off their websites or it's too hard to find?

If you or anyone you know lived or worked near a timezone line, does/did that affect daily life? I don't know.
-For instance, do you have to make sure everyone knows WHICH time zone a meeting is in?

Name a place that's beautiful. The Ocean around the Caribbean Islands

Foodie Question: For the herb basil, do you say "BAZ-ill" or "BAYZ-ill" or you tell us? BAYZ-ill

If you have lived in a dwelling with a deck or balcony, did you get any use out of it? Like what? I have a small platform deck in our backyard. We rarely use it anymore.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:38 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Today's Questions:
What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a small town? WE LIVE IN A TOWN OF 1200....WISH THERE WERE MORE STORES CLOSER

What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a big city? THE FREAKIN TRAFFIC

At what age do you consider a person elderly? WHEN THEY CANT FEND FOR THEMSELVES
-Has that age changed much as you've grown older? NO

What information do businesses too often leave off their websites or it's too hard to find? HOURS OF OPERATION....

If you or anyone you know lived or worked near a timezone line, does/did that affect daily life? MUST BE A REAL HOOT
-For instance, do you have to make sure everyone knows WHICH time zone a meeting is in?I WOULDN'T WANT THAT JOB

Name a place that's beautiful. MICHIGAN'S UPPER PENINSULA

Foodie Question: For the herb basil, do you say "BAZ-ill" or "BAYZ-ill" or you tell us? BAY ZIL FOR THE HERB. BAAZ ZIL FOR A PERSON

If you have lived in a dwelling with a deck or balcony, did you get any use out of it? Like what? WE JUST HAD OUR DECK REBUILT....IT'S A NICE ADDITION....

Old 07-23-2015, 06:49 AM

9,725 posts, read 14,266,863 times
bjh;40522110]Today is "Hot Enough For Ya Day" I hope everyone is as cool as they want to be.

Today's Questions:
What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a small town? Doesn't apply to me, I'm not moving out of my small town.

What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a big city? I hate cities...everyting about them..... Confusing mass transportation, scary looking people, dirty streets, police cars racing up and down the streets, sirens, and chaos.

At what age do you consider a person elderly? I used to think 50, then it changed to 60, then it changed to 70, and now that I'm 75 and kicking up my heels....I'm thinking maybe 95
-Has that age changed much as you've grown older? Yes, see above.

What information do businesses too often leave off their websites or it's too hard to find? Don't know. I don't look for businesses on-line.

If you or anyone you know lived or worked near a timezone line, does/did that affect daily life? N/A
-For instance, do you have to make sure everyone knows WHICH time zone a meeting is in? N/A

Name a place that's beautiful. The South - Tennessee Mountains

Considering Today's Quote (below) what are your thoughts on chivalry? My thoughts? Yesterday, my husband opened the door for a lady coming out of a store, then he went in. I tagged along behind!

Foodie Question: For the herb basil, do you say "BAZ-ill" or "BAYZ-ill" or you tell us? Don't know, it's just basil to me.

If you have lived in a dwelling with a deck or balcony, did you get any use out of it? Like what? Back deck gets little use, although it has a beautiful view of old English Walnut trees and is shaded. Front porch has lots of company, and that's where I entertain.

Thanks, bjh! Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Old 07-23-2015, 07:25 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Today is "Hot Enough For Ya Day" I hope everyone is as cool as they want to be.

Today's Questions:
too hard to fit in because of clicks, everyone knows everyone else and they're all up in your business

too many people, overcrowding everywhere and it's loud

At what age do you consider a person elderly? 70 or older
-Has that age changed much as you've grown older? Oh yes, I used to think 40 was "elderly"

clear directions and phone numbers

If you or anyone you know lived or worked near a timezone line, does/did that affect daily life?
Haven't ever lived near one and don't know anyone who has

Biltmore House

I think it's dead

Foodie Question: For the herb basil, do you say "BAZ-ill" or "BAYZ-ill" or you tell us?

If you have lived in a dwelling with a deck or balcony, did you get any use out of it? Like what?
Yes the house I used to live in had a big back deck with a screened in porch, I got lots of use out of the screened in porch and had bbq's and a few parties on the deck.

Today in History:
1632 Three hundred French colonists bound for North America departed Dieppe, France
1846 Henry David Thoreau jailed for not paying his poll tax, inspiring publication of "Civil Disobedience" in 1849
1903 Ford Motor Company sold its first car
1926 Fox Film bought the patents for recording sound onto film
1982 International Whaling Commission decided to end commercial whaling by 1985-86

Today’s Quote:
"If you're walking with your lady on the sidewalk, I still like to see a man walking street-side,
to protect the lady from traffic. I grew up with that, and I hate to see something like that get lost.
I still like to see that a man opens the door. I like those touches of chivalry that are fast disappearing."
~ Betty White, comedienne

Today’s Word:
hovel [Hov-uhl] noun
a small, very humble dwelling house; a wretched hut
or any dirty, disorganized dwelling

Today Includes:
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Hot Dog Day
Lumberjack Day
Vanilla Ice Cream Day

This Week Includes:
Moth Week
Zoo Keeper Week

Today's Nostalgia Picture:
Maryland, Patuxent River picnic and waders, July 1942

US government photo, in the public domain

Wade right in and enjoy your Thursday!

Thanks bjh!

Old 07-23-2015, 08:06 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Today's Questions:

Everyone knows everyone's business.

Too crowded and busy.

At what age do you consider a person elderly? 90

-Has that age changed much as you've grown older? Yes indeed.

If you or anyone you know lived or worked near a timezone line, does/did that affect daily life? Not that I'm aware of.

One thing I have to remember is not to call friends in Seattle too early in the day because it is a lot earlier than it is here in Texas.

Zacatecas, Mexico

Chivalry still exists and not just in older men.

Hmmm. I don't think I ever have.

Today in History:
1632 Three hundred French colonists bound for North America departed Dieppe, France
1846 Henry David Thoreau jailed for not paying his poll tax, inspiring publication of "Civil Disobedience" in 1849
1982 International Whaling Commission decided to end commercial whaling by 1985-86

Today’s Quote:
"If you're walking with your lady on the sidewalk, I still like to see a man walking street-side,
to protect the lady from traffic. I grew up with that, and I hate to see something like that get lost.
I still like to see that a man opens the door. I like those touches of chivalry that are fast disappearing."

Today’s Word:
hovel [Hov-uhl] noun

Today Includes:
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Hot Dog Day
Lumberjack Day
Vanilla Ice Cream Day

This Week Includes:
Moth Week
Zoo Keeper Week

Thank you, bjh. Great picture and thoughtful questions. Stay cool.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:30 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,839 times
Today's Questions:
Everyone being in your business
I'm definitely not a city person at all.
Never thought about it
A contact Email
Never known anyone who lived close to a time zone, although I was certainly shocked as a 5 or 6 year old when we arrived at Denver airport and it was only about an hour or so after our plane took off, and I knew we were on the plane for at least a few hours.
Maryland's panhandle. Never been there, but seen photos of it.
It's somewhat alive, still.
I use the first one.
We get some use out of it, although here in Maryland you don't really get to use it that often. We get a hot summer, a cold winter, and a short spring and fall.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:12 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Today's Questions:
As long as I had a job I can not think of any real reason to not move to a small town. I have lived in places with less than 250 people

Traffic

Depends on the person.

I use to think 60 was elderly. However now that I am less than 2 years away from hitting that age I have re-thought this.

The total cost of things

This is a big headache for me. Traveling all over the world my work is done using GMT. However most of the hotels work in local time. I have to make sure I convert the time correctly or I will be way early or way late for work. Things get really ugly when I start the day on one side of the International Date Line and finish the day on the other side. Is it still today or is it yesterday or is it tomorrow? After working a 36 hour day my brain can easily get confused.

Lubbock Texas in my rearview mirror. Oh wait, that is happiness. I will go with the inside the gold vaults at Fort Knox

Every time I think it is dead I see some mother get after their kid for not holding the door open for a stranger and I realize there is still some hope left.

I will substitute "stinky cheese" for "basil". It is pronounced "stinky cheese".

Use to have a balcony. Use to sit on it on Friday nights and watch the 20 something crowd get stupid on their way home from the clubs.

Today in History:

Today’s Quote:

Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 AM

396 posts, read 512,936 times
What reasons would make you NOT want to move to a small town? Too many people in your personal business.

Cost of living, traffic.

No set age really. I've known people in the 40s with elderly mindsets and people in their 80s who could put 30 year olds to shame.
Yes. Age really is a number. (I used to think that was bs.)

Geographic location. Most sites have a "contact" link but I want to know where they are physically located.

Oh yes! I lived in Indiana for years and when that state adopted DST, they left it to the counties to decide between Eastern and Central time zones. The result was a kind of piecemeal in the northern and southern parts of the state that made things "interesting".

Big Sur, CA

It's certainly not how it used to be, but many people I have encountered still have good manners.

BAYZ-ill, the other way if it's someone's name.

Our condo has a balcony and we use it for sitting outside, enjoying the weather, sunrises/sunsets and grilling. I also have a container garden on it.

Loving these questions and many thanks to those who welcomed me to the topic.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=bjh;40522110]Today is "Hot Enough For Ya Day" I hope everyone is as cool as they want to be.

Today's Questions:
The lack of things to do. Well there was this small town in Indiana that was right out of the Twilight Zone. I knew I could never visit there again let alone live there. It gave me the willies.
Chicago is a perfect example. It's a fabulous city but living there in the good part would be ridiculously expensive. That and all the violence.
At what age do you consider a person elderly? Maybe 70's.
No I don't think so. I've always thought of elderly people as hunched over and walking with a cane. Being old and elderly are two different things and I recognized that from a young age.
The hidden charges
That could be complicated.
Maine
I think who ever gets there first should hold the door open. I would feel like an ass if I was there first and waited for a man to come open the door. As far as that traffic thing I would think you would both get killed if a car comes racing on the side walk. I beleve we should all be chivalrous to one another regardless of race or gender.
Bayz...ill

There is a balcony off of the bedroom upstairs but it doesn't have any railings. I like to watch the storms come in up there and the sun sets. We have an upper and lower deck off of the kitchen but the mosquitoes carry you away here. Ever since West Nile appeared here I've been very cautious about mosquito bites. I like our front porch with the swing the best. I'm hoping to have a new patio in the back before October for a fire pit that might keep some of the mosquitoes away. When we entertain out side we usually have a fan blowing on us to keep the mosquitoes from landing. Sometimes they still manage to bite your feet anyway.
Today in History:

Today’s Quote:
Yep one size fits all silly Betty.
Today’s Word:
hovel [Hov-uhl] noun

Today Includes:
Hot Enough For Ya Day
Hot Dog Day
Lumberjack Day
Vanilla Ice Cream Day

This Week Includes:
Moth Week
Zoo Keeper Week

Thanks bjh I will until it's time to go to work. I already went out and fed my one traumatized fish left in the fish pond. It swims under the bridge every time it sees a shadow. It will be in a pond full of other goldfish in the fall if it survives that long. I wonder if fish get lonely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics