Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 12:03 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,153 posts, read 30,476,106 times

Advertisements

Today's Frenchified Questions:
What comes to mind when you think of "France"? Good food, the language and people, great museums, vineyards.

Ever sat out on the sidewalk at a cafe or would you like to? If so, where so? Yep, in Florida, among other places.

French __cooking__

Did you study the French language in school? In high school and junior high. Don't remember much tho.

Tell us at least one French word(s) or phrase(s) with translation to English, if possible: sans souci, without worries

A French girl's name: Marie

A French boy's name: Louis

Do you have any French ancestors? Oui, from Alsace for instance.

Have you or yours ever visited France or lived or worked there for any reason? One of my grandfathers served in the US military in France during WWI.

Foodie Questions:
What French food do/would you like:
-Baguettes/crunchy bread? Yes, and will ride home with it on a bicycle.
-Bisque/creamy soup?
-Croissants?
-Eclair?
-Escargot? I'd try them once.
-Fromage/cheese?
-Onion soup?
-Pomme frites/French fries?
-Other? I'd try just about any beef dishes.

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 12:52 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,265,093 times
Today's Frenchified Questions:
What comes to mind when you think of "France"?
1994, August in Paris, in the 16th Arrondissement, in the apartment of a friend who went home to the states and offered us her apartment.

Ever sat out on the sidewalk at a cafe or would you like to? If so, where so?
Nothing quite like the Champs Elysee, but there were so many other wonderful little cafes on wonderful little squares with much less tourist activity.

French
onion soup

Did you study the French language in school?
Four years in high school, two semesters in college, so by then I was reading French literature and writing interpretive papers. Sadly, though my accent and grammar were actually pretty darn good (have forgotten 90%), I never learned to HEAR the French language.

So even today I can say something in French, and be understood without much difficulty. But when people speak French back to me, I really hardly ever know what they're saying. I can't tell where one word starts and another leaves off, so I can't begin to translate. It's such a beautiful language, I'm sorry now I didn't make more effort to learn to actually converse in it.

Tell us at least one French word(s) or phrase(s) with translation to English, if possible:
coup d'oeil. It's an idiom that technically translates as "throw the eye," and means glance or quick look. In high school, we got hysterical one day when a classmate said, "coup d'ouef" for "coup d'oeil." Like, "I happened to throw an egg out the window and saw that it had started raining." It was a running joke the whole rest of our high school French classes.

A French girl's name:
Pierrette (actually the name of one of my closest friends, who grew up in Quebec).

A French boy's name:
Gaston. Or Jean-Luc, as in Picard. (Be still, my heart.)

Do you have any French ancestors?
Not as far as I know.

Have you or yours ever visited France or lived or worked there for any reason?
Husband traveled there frequently for business 1985 - 2005. I was lucky enough to tag along occasionally. And then had that magical month (see above) which was the best vacation I've EVER had. My biggest regret is that we didn't venture outside Paris much. We did spend some time in the Alsace region in 2010, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Foodie Questions:
What French food do/would you like:
-Baguettes/crunchy bread?
yes
-Bisque/creamy soup? yes
-Croissants? good ones, yes
-Eclair? absolutement
-Escargot? at first, yes, but too many rubbery ones have spoiled the memories
-Fromage/cheese? especially Brie
-Onion soup? yup
-Pomme frites/French fries? One of my favorite dishes is Moules Frites!
-Other? OMG, Profiteroles!!!! Never ever had a better dessert! I occasionally try a Julia Child recipe, with mixed success. One that was a hit was Coq au Vin. Makes a wonderful casual company dinner and also the leftovers freeze well.

Today's Nifty Picture:
Paris Metro sign in autumn.
Just want to say thanks for that photo of the Metro in autumn. It's now my desktop background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics