Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 11:18 PM

21,545 posts, read 8,727,966 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 22, 2015. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio, but on the cusp of Sagittarius. Some famous people who were born on this date include French President Charles de Gaulle, composer Benjamin Britten, tobacco heiress Doris Duke, comedian Rodney Dangerfield, actresses Geraldine Page, Mariel Hemingway and Scarlett Johansson, actors Robert Vaughn and Terry Gilliam; tennis stars Billie Jean King and Boris Becker; conductor Kent Nagano and musicians Jesse Colin Young and Steven Van Zandt.

Today’s Question:
Have recent world events changed your attitude toward travel?

In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel?

What is the scariest travel experience you have ever had?

Bonus Question:
The other day my friend Margaret called me in a panic because there was a pop-up screen on her computer that wouldn't go away. It warned that her computer was infected with a virus and said to call Microsoft at (telephone number). I advised her to ignore the message and close her browser. She uses a Mac with no Microsoft software so this was obviously a scam. Sometimes it’s not so obvious, though.

Have you ever been contacted - by telephone, by mail or on your computer - by would-be scammers? If so, did you recognize right away that it was a scam or did it take a while? How did you handle the situation?

Just For Fun:
It’s the gift-giving season. Are you excited about it, dreading it or indifferent to it?

What is a gift that you would like to receive?

What is a gift that you don’t need and hope not to receive?

Today in History:
1497 – Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope on the first voyage from Europe to reach India.
1718 – Off the coast of North Carolina, the pirate Edward Teachout (“Blackbeard”) is killed in battle by the Royal Navy.
1794 – Strasbourg Alsace-Lorraine prohibits circumcision and the wearing of beards.
1842 – Mount St. Helens in the U.S. State of Washington erupts.
1869 – In Dumbarton, Scotland, the clipper ship Cutty Sark is launched, one of the last of its kind and the only one that still survives today.
1858 – Denver, Colorado is founded.
1886 – Victoria Street cable tram route begins in Melbourne, Australia.
1906 – Berlin Radiotelegraphic Conference adopts “S.O.S.” as the Morse code signal of distress. The first recorded use of S.O.S. in America was in 1909.
1910 – Arthur Knight patents steel shaft golf clubs.
1927 – First snowmobile patent granted to Carl Eliason of Sayner, Wisconsin.
1927 – “Bolero” by Maurice Ravel first performed publicly in Paris, France.
1930 – First Irish Sweepstakes run.
1934 – “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town” first heard on Eddie Cantor’s radio program.
1935 – The China Clipper inaugurates the first transpacific service between Alameda, California and the Philippines.
1943 – Churchill, F.D.R. and Chiang Kai-Shek meet to discuss ways to defeat Japan.
1943 – Britain’s R.A.F. begins bombing Berlin.
1954 – Humane Society forms.
1955 – RCA Victor makes its most profitable investment ever when it pays $25,000 to Sam Philips and his Sun Records for the rights to a Tupelo, Mississippi truck driver named Elvis Presley.
1963 – U.S. President John F. Kennedy is assassinated by a sniper while riding in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas; John Connally, the Governor of Texas is wounded; Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as 36th president. (Two other notable deaths on this date are authors C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley.)
1965 – Boxer Muhammad Ali KOs Floyd Patterson in 12 rounds to win the world heavyweight title.
1968 – The Beatles release their only double album, Beatles (aka the White Album).
1969 – Scientists at Harvard University announce that they have isolated the first gene.
1975 – Juan Carlos becomes King of Spain.
1977 – Regular Concorde service between New York City and Europe begins.
1986 – Mike Tyson defeats Trevor Burbick to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history.
1987 – Two Chicago television stations are hijacked by an unknown pirate dressed as Max Headroom.
1990 – Margaret Thatcher announces her resignation as British Prime Minister.
1995Toy Story is released, the first feature-length animated film created entirely using computer-generated images.
2005 – Angela Merkel becomes the first female Chancellor of Germany.

Quote of the Day:
“When written in Chinese, the word ‘crisis’ is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity.”

- John F. Kennedy

Word of the Day
Solipsism\so-lǝp-si-zǝm, sä- \ noun
Definition:
: a theory in philosophy holding that what's in your mind is the only thing that is real or that can be proven to exist; extreme egocentrism.
Example:
Melissa’s solipsism led her to believe that God had personally ordained that the storm would end in time for her outdoor wedding ceremony.

Today is
Lebanese Independence Day
St. George’s Day (Eastern Orthodox; observed in the Eurasian nation of Georgia)
Go For a Ride Day
The first date Thanksgiving can be celebrated in the U.S. (November 28 is the last date)

Last edited by Bayarea4; 11-21-2015 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: because spacing is important; because Georgia is a nation and not part of Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 22, 2015. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio, but on the cusp of Sagittarius. Some famous people who were born on this date include French President Charles de Gaulle, composer Benjamin Britten, tobacco heiress Doris Duke, comedian Rodney Dangerfield, actresses Geraldine Page, Mariel Hemingway and Scarlett Johansson, actors Robert Vaughn and Terry Gilliam; tennis stars Billie Jean King and Boris Becker; conductor Kent Nagano and musicians Jesse Colin Young and Steven Van Zandt.

Today’s Question:
Nope! Never will travel to any of those areas involved anyway, unfortunately.
In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel?

Bonus Question:
The other day my friend Margaret called me in a panic because there was a pop-up screen on her computer that wouldn't go away. It warned that her computer was infected with a virus and said to call Microsoft at (telephone number). I advised her to ignore the message and close her browser. She uses a Mac with no Microsoft software so this was obviously a scam. Sometimes it’s not so obvious, though.

Have you ever been contacted - by telephone, by mail or on your computer - by would-be scammers? If so, did you recognize right away that it was a scam or did it take a while? How did you handle the situation?
I'm oblivious to all things on the internet. Scammers don't have a chance against my ignorance.
Just For Fun:
It’s the gift-giving season. Are you excited about it, dreading it or indifferent to it?
Not too excited at the moment.
The gift of gab.
One of those that keep on giving....

Today in History:
1497 – Portuguese navigator Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope on the first voyage from Europe to reach India.
1718 – Off the coast of North Carolina, the pirate Edward Teachout (“Blackbeard”) is killed in battle by the Royal Navy.
1794 – Strasbourg Alsace-Lorraine prohibits circumcision and the wearing of beards.
1869 – In Dumbarton, Scotland, the clipper ship Cutty Sark is launched, one of the last of its kind and the only one that still survives today.

1906 – Berlin Radiotelegraphic Conference adopts “S.O.S.” as the Morse code signal of distress. The first recorded use of S.O.S. in America was in 1909.
1934 – “Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town” first heard on Eddie Cantor’s radio program.
1935 – The China Clipper inaugurates the first transpacific service between Alameda, California and the Philippines.
1943 – Churchill, F.D.R. and Chiang Kai-Shek meet to discuss ways to defeat Japan.
1955 – RCA Victor makes its most profitable investment ever when it pays $25,000 to Sam Philips and his Sun Records for the rights to a Tupelo, Mississippi truck driver named Elvis Presley.
1963 – U.S. President John F. Kennedy is assassinated by a sniper while riding in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas; John Connally, the Governor of Texas is wounded; Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as 36th president. (Two other notable deaths on this date are authors C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley.)
1965 – Boxer Muhammad Ali KOs Floyd Patterson in 12 rounds to win the world heavyweight title.
1968 – The Beatles release their only double album, Beatles (aka the White Album).
1969 – Scientists at Harvard University announce that they have isolated the first gene.
1986 – Mike Tyson defeats Trevor Burbick to become the youngest heavyweight champion in history.
1987 – Two Chicago television stations are hijacked by an unknown pirate dressed as Max Headroom.
1995Toy Story is released, the first feature-length animated film created entirely using computer-generated images.

Quote of the Day:
“When written in Chinese, the word ‘crisis’ is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity.”

- John F. Kennedy

Word of the Day
Definition:
: a theory in philosophy holding that what's in your mind is the only thing that is real or that can be proven to exist; extreme egocentrism.
Example:
Melissa’s solipsism led her to believe that God had personally ordained that the storm would end in time for her outdoor wedding ceremony.

Today is
Go For a Ride Day
The first date Thanksgiving can be celebrated in the U.S. (November 28 is the last date)
Thanks Bay! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-21-2015 at 11:43 PM..

Old 11-21-2015, 11:54 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Have recent world events changed your attitude toward travel? Its just a part of my mental conversation . . . I decided to stop flying about 10 years ago, because I've always suffered from air sickness and claustrophobia. But I really want to go interesting places now that it's possible. But I'm too chicken to go a lot of places. But a relative makes his living travelling to unusual locations and writing about it and he's never had trouble. But I'm not as young as he is. But people all over the world hate Americans now. But most cultures like old ladies. But that wouldn't matter to the young unemployed uneducated males interested in creating mahem in various parts of the world. But if we change our habits we're letting them win. But most of the places in which they wreak havoc aren't places I'd go to anyway. But there are lots of places in the world to visit that are probably safe. But no where anywhere is completely safe. But I don't like leaving my pets for long periods of time anyway.

In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel? I've never had any interest in visiting the middle east, and that's still my opinion for additional reasons.

What is the scariest travel experience you have ever had? Driving in a blizzard over the Sierra Nevadas in a teeny car with 3 cats in the middle of the night.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been contacted - by telephone, by mail or on your computer - by would-be scammers? If so, did you recognize right away that it was a scam or did it take a while? How did you handle the situation? Haven't we all received e-mails from a Nigerian Prince? I'm pretty good at blocking all entities with the potential to irritate me. I actually did know a man who had developed an on-line "relationship" with a woman from (Russia, maybe?). He sent her a ton of money, and of course he never got any of it back or ever met the woman in person. If it really was a woman and not a geezly old dude sitting in a call center in Nairobi.

Just For Fun:

What is a gift that you would like to receive? I really want a little bobcat with a plow blade. Does anyone want to give one to me?

What is a gift that you don’t need and hope not to receive? Anything someone else considers "decorative". No more ceramic angels or signs with "cute" sayings, please. But thank you for thinking of me, of course!

Thanks for the questions, Bay!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
[quote=Bayarea4;42024229]

Today’s Question:
Zero effect

No more so than I already do.

None really and I've travelled extensively both by auto and planes. The worst experienced is super long and boring flight delays and missing connections, frustrating for sure but not scary.

Bonus Question:

No phone or mail contact, but I had a virus take over one of my computers years ago when I had not kept the OS updated and this virus took advantage of that fact. I recognized immediately what was going on and disconnected my computer from the internet immediately... found the file that was downloaded... which would NOT let me delete it... however, I outfoxed it by renaming it! Stopped it in its tracks... then ran several virus programs that removed it... and then updated my OS as I should have done BEFORE this happened, which would have prevented this event from taking place altogether.

Just For Fun:
Love it!

You know, I've been trying to think of something I need or would like to have... and haven't thought of a thing yet... just having the family here for Christmas is really more than I could ever ask for!

No such thing, I'd be pleased with anything that someone else was generous enough to give me.

Today in History:

1963 – U.S. President John F. Kennedy is assassinated by a sniper while riding in a motorcade in Dallas, Texas; John Connally, the Governor of Texas is wounded; Lyndon B. Johnson is sworn in as 36th president.

Thanks Bay for your always info-rich Sunday's QotD!

Enjoy All!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-22-2015 at 12:07 AM..

Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
Good Morning Bayarea4!

Today’s Question:
Have recent world events changed your attitude toward travel? Sadly yes.

In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel? Yes

What is the scariest travel experience you have ever had? I can't say I have had anything really scary--but feeling lost in the NYC subway system was a bit frightening! I can get all over Europe and other Countries, but navigating the NYC subway system is too crazy for me!

Bonus Question:

Yes many times, I recognize it right away---I hang up or delete message on commuter.

Just For Fun:
It’s the gift-giving season. Are you excited about it, dreading it or indifferent to it? I would prefer to have all the gift giving go away and just embrace time spent together.

What is a gift that you would like to receive? Time with family and friends.

What is a gift that you don’t need and hope not to receive? "stuff"

Today in History:

1927 – First snowmobile patent granted to Carl Eliason of Sayner, Wisconsin. I love snowmobiles!

Quote of the Day:
“When written in Chinese, the word ‘crisis’ is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity.” Interesting.
- John F. Kennedy

Word of the Day
Definition:
Example:

Today is
Go For a Ride Day
The first date Thanksgiving can be celebrated in the U.S. (November 28 is the last date)[/quote]

Wishing you a super duper day!

Old 11-22-2015, 12:08 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Today’s Question:
Have recent world events changed your attitude toward travel? No, but I am more cautious.

In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel? Yes, will avoid all the trouble areas.

What is the scariest travel experience you have ever had? Flying with Mikey It's an experience you could die for..

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been contacted - by telephone, by mail or on your computer - by would-be scammers? A few times. If so, did you recognize right away that it was a scam or did it take a while? Right away. How did you handle the situation? Usually hang up. Sometimes I'll play along with them for awhile until they finally catch on and hang up on me. A few times I told them I'm bed ridden, no arms or legs and everything I do is voice operated and ask are they experienced in the armandlegus computerized operating system, and they sound confused and hang up.

Just For Fun:
It’s the gift-giving season. Are you excited about it, dreading it or indifferent to it? Right now not into the season. Looking at buying a new vehicle so right now that's all I'm concentrating on.

What is a gift that you would like to receive? Gift of Love, I have about everything I'll ever need. Oh I did drop a hint about an Urn for in the future.

What is a gift that you don’t need and hope not to receive? Chia Pet, someone did give me one a few years ago.

Bay

Old 11-22-2015, 12:39 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Today’s Question:
They have not really changed my attitude but they have honed them. I have no plans to leave the continental US in the future. I'm just thankful that I traveled to Europe in the 70s.

See above. I don't plan to avoid any airline. El Al is probably the safest airline to travel on these days. The Israeli's are known for their security service and they have sadly had a very long time to perfect it.

Ireland 1977. The "troubles" (IRA) were heating up again. We were visiting relatives in England and wanted to fly to Ireland for just the day. The police at the airport in London really interrogated us before letting us board the flight. It was unusual to them to think we were just going for the day. We did manage to convince them that we were not going to join the fight as soon as we touched down in Dublin. I completely understand why they were worried. It really was not a bad experience. I wasn't scared I was just worried that we would not get to see Ireland.

Bonus Question:

Yes. The caller was wanting me to send money ($3000) to pay off a fine. I knew I had done nothing that broke the law. He said he was a DEA agent. I'm a retired federal employee and I have friends who work for the DEA. I started asking the guy things that a DEA agent or any federal employee should know. He said he couldn't answer those questions because it would be against the law for him to do so. Of course, it was all a crock. He finally ended the call. I was scared for just a few minutes until it became obvious he was running a scam. I did report the call to the DEA.

Just For Fun:

Amazon gift cards to spend on books.

A drone.

Today in History:
What? ahahahahahahahaha

Quote of the Day:

- John F. Kennedy

Word of the Day
Definition:
Example:

Today is
Go For a Ride Day

Thank you, BA4. Your questions are always chock full of interesting things.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:30 AM

11,371 posts, read 9,286,148 times
Today’s Question:
- Nope.

In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel? - Not much of a traveler, so...

What is the scariest travel experience you have ever had? - N/A

Bonus Question:

For my own piece of mind I pay Best Buy $10.00 per month to take care of that for me. That price includes any tech support I need. My desktop computer is 9 years old and still going strong...

I've never been contacted by scammers.

Just For Fun:
I don't remember the last time I received a gift. It's been many years. My ex wife on my birthday but that's been 9 years now since we broke up.

This time of season I would have to go back at least 30 years.

What is a gift that you would like to receive? I won't be getting one.

I work with a group of 24 people and they are having a "Secret Santa." To my knowledge I am the only one not participating. Lucky for me that and the holiday pot luck are scheduled on one of my regularly scheduled days off.

What is a gift that you don’t need and hope not to receive? N/A

Thanks, Bayarea4
Happy Sunday to all!

Old 11-22-2015, 01:37 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Question:
Have recent world events changed your attitude toward travel? Somewhat, yes. I've never felt 'safe' about travels to the Middle East, even back in the 80's. But you couldn't pay me enough to go there now!

In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel? Definitely. But, really, I don't have any big urge for international travel at this point in my life, anyway (although I'd love to visit Australia).

What is the scariest travel experience you have ever had? I've been pretty lucky. In San Diego in the 90's, this person made an attempt to steal my camera but I wasn't going to let him take it and I made so much noise that people chimed in until he gave up and left. I was furious.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been contacted - by telephone, by mail or on your computer - by would-be scammers? If so, did you recognize right away that it was a scam or did it take a while? How did you handle the situation? I think I had an attempt the other night, and it sure looked genuine, but I had this "feeling", so I x'd it out. My husband's a computer tekkie, so I'm taught to be suspicious.

Just For Fun:
It’s the gift-giving season. Are you excited about it, dreading it or indifferent to it? Mixed feelings. I do enjoy exchanging gifts with my husband and a friend.

What is a gift that you would like to receive? A particular type of bird-feeder. I printed it out and gave it to my husband. We give each other Wish Lists every year to pick a few things from.

What is a gift that you don’t need and hope not to receive? Another gift certificate from the neighbor for an Indian restaurant. The amount is generous but the restaurant does not like to break it down for next time, and my husband does not want to address it with the giver.
Thanks, Bay.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 AM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
Good morning Shep and all.

Today’s Question:
Have recent world events changed your attitude toward travel? Yes and no. I'd heed current governmental advice, but I'm not going out of my way to be influenced by this kind of thing. I'd go to Paris tomorrow if I wanted to, for example. We in the UK have lived with bombs for a few decades courtesy of the IRA and others. I've been in London during a bombing- heard it, didn't see it, and we as a nation have shown to be pretty resilient.

In the future will you avoid certain parts of the world, or avoid flying certain airlines if you do travel? Well I have no intention of doing a sight seeing tour of Kabul or Damascus, and I'm not fussed about Egypt, but I'll be going where I'm going, and we're still looking to live in part in France.

What is the scariest travel experience you have ever had? Me- probably flying in on the tail wind of a hurricane. Mrs J had a knife pulled on her and a friend in Tenerife. She remembered that there were some people just up the road and she screamed, they came running, and the b*****d ran off.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever been contacted - by telephone, by mail or on your computer - by would-be scammers? If so, did you recognize right away that it was a scam or did it take a while? How did you handle the situation? I had a phone call from some pillock who started rabbiting on at 100 mph about the 'fact' that my computer was infected etc etc. I quickly cottoned on that this was some scam. I've been known to converse in Anglo Saxon before now, and I told him to Foxtrot Oscar.

Just For Fun:
It’s the gift-giving season. Are you excited about it, dreading it or indifferent to it? It will be nice to have Miss J and some other people around at Christmas.

What is a gift that you would like to receive? Hmm... not sure.If there were unlimited funds, then a particular bridge camera, so that I don't have to lug around a camera and two lenses at times.

What is a gift that you don’t need and hope not to receive? Anything I wouldn't use.

Thanks Shep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics