Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 PM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, January 3, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people who were born on this date include legendary record producer George Martin, pianist and comedian Victor Borge, writer J.R.R. Tolkien; actors Ray Milland and Mel Gibson, actresses Anna May Wong, Danica McKellar and Joan Chen; film directors Dorothy Arzner and Sergio Leone; NHL legend Bobby Hull; Formula One race car driver Michael Schumacher; and rockers Stephen Stills and John Paul Jones.

Today’s Question:
Are you good or bad with directions?

Do you prefer to use a navigation app or a traditional paper map?

Have you ever been completely lost? How did you find your way?

Bonus Question:
How did you ring in the New Year?

What ambitions or goals do you hope to achieve in 2016?

Just For Fun:
How often do you get your hair cut?

Who cuts it?

Have you ever seen an old picture of yourself and said, "I can't believe I thought that (haircut, clothing style or whatever) looked good on me?"

Today in History:
1431 - Joan of Arc handed over to BishopPierre Cauchon.
1496 – Leonardo da Vinci unsuccessfully tests a flying machine.
1521 – Martin Luther excommunicated from the Catholic Church.
1750 – Tax revolt in Haarlem, the Netherlands.
1777 – General George Washington defeats British forces at the Battle of Princeton, New Jersey.
1823 – Stephen F. Austin receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
1831 – First building and loan organized, Frankford, Pennsylvania.
1870 – Construction on the Brooklyn Bridge begins.
1911 – A magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan (now Kazakhstan).
1925 – Mussolini announces that he is assuming dictatorial powers over Italy.
1938 – March of Dimes established by U. S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
1944 – World War II flying ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down by a Japanese Zero and is taken prisoner.
1945 – Adm. Chester A. Nimitz is put in command of all U.S. Naval forces.
1946 – Popular Canadian-American jockey George Woolf is killed in a freak accident. The annual George Woolf Memorial Jockey Cup is created to honor him.
1957 – Hamilton Watch Company introduces the first electric watch.
1961 – The United States severs diplomatic relations with Cuba over their nationalization of American assets.
1977 – Apple Computer is incorporated..
1999 – The Mars Polar Lander is launched.
2015 – Boko Haram militants raze the Nigerian city of Baga. As many as 2,000 are killed.

Quote of the Day:
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Word of the Day
judder noun /ˈdʒʌdɚ/
Definition:
: a spasmodic shaking.
: (television) jerky playback caused by converting between different frame rates.

Today is
Drinking Straw Day
J.R.R. Tolkien Day
Memento Mori “Remember You Die” Day
National Chocolate Covered Cherry Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 09:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, January 3, 2016. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people who were born on this date include legendary record producer George Martin, pianist and comedian Victor Borge, writer J.R.R. Tolkien; actors Ray Milland and Mel Gibson, actresses Anna May Wong, Danica McKellar and Joan Chen; film directors Dorothy Arzner and Sergio Leone; NHL legend Bobby Hull; Formula One race car driver Michael Schumacher; and rockers Stephen Stills and John Paul Jones.

Today’s Question:
I’m good if the person giving me directions give me the total details step by step if you are asking for a new work related job to do. However if you’re asking for directions for a place or location, then I like to know the north or south not simply turn left or right. As with anything important “details” make it happen.

Give me a GPS unit most of the time, however I do enjoy paper maps very much and find them very useful.

Only a few times when I was in a strange area and got turned around by accident. However I generally will get back on track within a few miles or less than ten minutes of driving.

Bonus Question:
How did you ring in the New Year? Yes, but stayed home safe n' sound and off the roads with drunk drivers.

What ambitions or goals do you hope to achieve in 2016? To have more fun and enjoy more, life is getting shorter and shorter for me, so I've got to make the best of it.

Just For Fun:
How often do you get your hair cut? 3 to 4 weeks

Who cuts it? a barber nearby the area.

Have you ever seen an old picture of yourself and said, "I can't believe I thought that (haircut, clothing style or whatever) looked good on me?"
Oh yeah! It's too funny to see some of those photos of when I was a kid or in my teens. What a hoot,,,,,,, LOL

Stay safe during in these days of cold, snow and flooding weather..........

Last edited by AksarbeN; 01-02-2016 at 09:56 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:44 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Today’s Question:

Nope.

Bonus Question:
Watching the shows on TV.

I have no goals but I do hope that my health continues to be good.

Just For Fun:
Every 6-7 weeks.

Who cuts it?
A stylist named Linda. She's been cutting my hair for over 20 years.

Yeah, those granny glasses were not very attractive on me.

Today in History:
1777 – General George Washington defeats British forces at the Battle of Princeton, New Jersey.
1823 – Stephen F. Austin receives a grant of land in Texas from the government of Mexico.
1911 – A magnitude 7.7 earthquake destroys the city of Almaty in Russian Turkestan (now Kazakhstan).
1944 – World War II flying ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down by a Japanese Zero and is taken prisoner.
1946 – Popular Canadian-American jockey George Woolf is killed in a freak accident. The annual George Woolf Memorial Jockey Cup is created to honor him.
1961 – The United States severs diplomatic relations with Cuba over their nationalization of American assets.
2015 – Boko Haram militants raze the Nigerian city of Baga. As many as 2,000 are killed.

Quote of the Day:
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Word of the Day
judder noun /ˈdʒʌdɚ/
Definition:
: (television) jerky playback caused by converting between different frame rates.

Today is
Drinking Straw Day
J.R.R. Tolkien Day

Thank you, BA4. Have a great week!

Old 01-02-2016, 09:53 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times

Today’s Question:
I think, I am good, although giving direction in the US is different from the way people give direction in Europe.
I don't get the cardinal directions in a new city, or on a cloudy day.

General direction including big area - paper map, then narrow it to detailed direction using navigation app.

Have you ever been completely lost?
Yes. In a very remote area in a complete darkness at night.

How did you find your way?
I backtrack my way with the guide of the night sky (I am a constellation nerd)

Bonus Question:
I was in a New Year party.

No goals. My New Year's resolutions have the shelf life of a fruit fly But I will try my best to change/pursuit few things.

Just For Fun:
Only when I see split ends. I got a radical hair cut only few times in my life.

Who cuts it?
I do.

Not really. Hairstyles/colors like mode styles are trends most of us follow...

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:
“Not all those who wander are lost.” <<< Most women don't get easily lost. Men never ask for directions
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Word of the Day
judder noun /ˈdʒʌdɚ/
Definition:
: a spasmodic shaking. <<< That's modern "dancing"

Today is
Drinking Straw Day
J.R.R. Tolkien Day

Thank you, Baya!!!
Wishing all healthy and successful New Year!!

Last edited by elnina; 01-02-2016 at 10:24 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 09:57 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Today’s Question:
Usually pretty good. There have been times the directions given to me were so bad I was not able to get to where I was going.

Any more I will use my GPS.

Once when working at the airport in Baltimore I went to the store during lunch. On the way back I missed my exit. no problem as I will just turn around at the next exit. Just my luck, once I took the next exit it did not have a ramp back onto the freeway going the other direction. Now I am heading who knows where. Finally I spotted a sign indicating an airport exit. I took that and drove a couple miles before spotting the airport.

Bonus Question:
Looked at the clock and went back to sleep

Not saying what they are but they are the same two I had for 2015. Maybe I will have better luck this year

Just For Fun:
Have gone as long as 18 months and as soon as 1 month. Right now it has been about 3 months

Who cuts it?
I go to regular barber shops when ever I can. Once I went to a salon. Almost got up and walked out when the lady grabbed a pair scissors when I requested a number one buzz cut. After pointing out it was only 3 hours till closing time and that it would take longer than that using scissors for a buzz cut I finally convinced her to use the clippers.

I avoid looking at old pictures of me.

Old 01-02-2016, 10:01 PM

2,322 posts, read 923,655 times
Today’s Question:
Yes... unless you mean W, N, E, or S then, I may need more than 1 go at it.

The un-refoldable paper map please.

Define completely. I've gotten lost in Puerto Rico but that's an island and you can only get so lost.

Bonus Question:
Masquerade Ball with wit-nit, bjh and 601halfdozen0theother

I have plans to visit London, Japan and Idaho(for relocation purposes)

Just For Fun:
Once a week, should be every 2 days to maintain the chrome dome. I went for the Vin Diesel look, realistically hoped for Bruce Willis, but ended up with George "The Animal" Steele

Who cuts it?
Me

Yes, I had tight wine colored corduroy pants with black leg warmers tucked into a nice pair of tan Tony Lama cowboy boots. Form fitting (read:tight) purple sweater over dress shirt with knit tie. I really am straight.

Quote of the Day:
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Thanks Bayarea4 Have An Amazing Sunday Everybody!!!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Question:

While I have a GPS, I prefer looking up directions on Googlemaps prior to venturing to any new places I'm not familiar with first to get a visual "fix" of it and its surroundings. I've also navigated by the sun's direction many times, especially prior to having the GPS or Googlemaps.

Have you ever been completely lost? Usually in the general vicinity
How did you find your way? Stopped and asked for specific directions

Bonus Question:
Very nicely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_izvAbhExY

Just For Fun:
Every 6-8 weeks, more or less

Who cuts it?
My hairdresser

Today is
My annual indulgence, love the dark chocolate ones kept cold in the refrigerator... only five left
Thanks Bay for this 1st Sunday's QotD in 2016!

Happy Sunday all, enjoy!

Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 PM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Today’s Question:
Are you good or bad with directions? I'm not very good at giving someone directions to get somewhere.

Do you prefer to use a navigation app or a traditional paper map? I have a GPS and love it. However, just to be safe, if I'm going to an area that I'm totally unfamiliar with, I like to look it up first on Google Maps just to get a general idea of where I'm going.

Have you ever been completely lost? Yes, a few times. Once, well over 30 years ago, I was walking my sister's dog in their new neighborhood, which is all windy roads. I got completely lost, and asked several people how to find my sister's street. No one knew. People in her neighborhood know how to get to their own homes and their friends' homes, but it seems nobody knows the names of the streets. It was an extremely hot summer day and both the dog and I were tired exhausted and parched. How did you find your way? I just wandered around for a very long time until I finally found a familiar street and eventually found my way back to my sis's house.

Bonus Question:
How did you ring in the New Year? My boyfriend and I went to my sis and bro-in-law's home, and one other friend joined us. We played penny-ante poker and watched a movie. We had good eats and good company. It was a very nice evening. I got home just after 4 a.m.

What ambitions or goals do you hope to achieve in 2016? I'm hoping to slow down my schedule a little this year and to take better care of myself. Losing weight is high on the list.

Just For Fun:
How often do you get your hair cut? Two or three times a year.

Who cuts it? David, the owner of a salon in my town.

Have you ever seen an old picture of yourself and said, "I can't believe I thought that (haircut, clothing style or whatever) looked good on me?" Haha - High school and college pix come to mind.

Word of the Day
judder noun /ˈdʒʌdɚ/
Definition:
Interesting word.

Today is
Drinking Straw Day
J.R.R. Tolkien Day
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-02-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-02-2016, 10:44 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Today’s Question:
Are you good or bad with directions? Good, I have no problems with directions. She tells me what to do, I do it.

Do you prefer to use a navigation app or a traditional paper map? Both. GPS for overall directions, map for local information.

Have you ever been completely lost? No but the lady in the capsule up above has directed me wrong on a few occasions.
How did you find your way? Either recalculating or with the map.

Bonus Question:
How did you ring in the New Year? Was in bed asleep til the neighbors started shooting off fireworks.

What ambitions or goals do you hope to achieve in 2016? To be able to make it to 2017, health being main concern.

Just For Fun:
How often do you get your hair cut? About every 6- 8 weeks.

Who cuts it? Barber of 40 years.

Have you ever seen an old picture of yourself and said, "I can't believe I thought that (haircut, clothing style or whatever) looked good on me?" Many times.

Bay

Old 01-02-2016, 10:51 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times

Today’s Question:
Excellent!

Map but eyes may prevent that these days....

Bonus Question:
Watching the light show in our neighborhood.

Start a new company, make tons of money and retire in the Swiss Alps.

Just For Fun:

Who cuts it?
Barber or daughter
Yep!

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:
- J.R.R. Tolkien

Word of the Day
judder noun /ˈdʒʌdɚ/
Definition:

Today is
Drinking Straw Day
J.R.R. Tolkien Day
Thanks Bay!Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-02-2016 at 11:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics