Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,772 times

Advertisements

It was weird, when I was a camp counselor in Maine, the kids were playing a game where they had to describe counselors without using their names, and the other kids would guess who they were describing. One kids said: "He has a southern accent." I was trying to figure out who they were talking about. One by one, kids would say: "It must be Tim." Even then, I was like "Who's Tim?"

I could not believe that me, a guy from Pittsburgh sounded like a "Southerner" to kids from Boston, New York, Chicago, Philly, DC. etc. I thought they were just messin with me. But a few weeks later, I flew back to Pittsburgh, and was wondering why so many people at the airport had a slight southern accent. Then I realized it was all true.

Later I realized, Pittsburgh was not alone it was more of an Ahiya River accent. (which does sound southernish). And even later yet, I found people from Montana, Idaho and Wyoming have the same accent. So after spreading down the Ahiya, it must have gone up the Mazura.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:51 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,893 times
Southern accents are just plain annoying. One of my friends is from NC, I always make fun of him for it lol.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
Southern accents are just plain annoying. One of my friends is from NC, I always make fun of him for it lol.

That’s not nice, I am from NC and I think we have very little accent. I do notice most of the North Eastern States talk really funny. I just assume it has to do with damaged vocal cords due to exposure to the cold.
All kidding aside, I love to hear someone with a strong southern accent. It sounds almost musical.
I have lost some of mine which may be why people run when I start singing. They seem to think I came from New Hampshire.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Actually Southern California has a very distinct accent. I notice it on someone right away... not sure if anyone agrees.
I agree, I think it is call spanish I hear the same one in South Florida.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:24 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I love to hear someone with a strong southern accent. It sounds almost musical.
I love it too. I also love the long island and brooklyn accents.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
That’s not nice, I am from NC and I think we have very little accent. I do notice most of the North Eastern States talk really funny. I just assume it has to do with damaged vocal cords due to exposure to the cold.
All kidding aside, I love to hear someone with a strong southern accent. It sounds almost musical.
I have lost some of mine which may be why people run when I start singing. They seem to think I came from New Hampshire.
I lived in NC and yes "y'all" got a strong accent down there.

I never really had an accent of any kind, even though I was born and raised in Boston for most of my life. I do slip up sometimes though

Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Hi ya'll, jest wanna say thet ahm from acrost th swangin brige, an at th hed uh th holler here in Pahksvulle, Kentucky..Wen ah gets tuh th flatlands, ah cain't unnerstan nary uh thang ya'll talkin bout, yer aksent be so strong lak

Old 07-24-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
I lived in NC and yes "y'all" got a strong accent down there.

I never really had an accent of any kind, even though I was born and raised in Boston for most of my life. I do slip up sometimes though
Is that y’all with a New Hampshire accent or a Boston accent? I need a language dictionary to get through some Boston accents.
No accent, hmmmm I think I hear Boston in your post right now.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:26 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,089,265 times
Heh, my mom's cousin has a Boston accent so thick that I'm only convinced I can understand it because I grew up listening to those kinds of accents from that side of the family. He's actually fun to listen to speak, he's an older blue-collar guy who has never lived anywhere but New England ... a linguist would probably have a field day with him.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 PM

31 posts, read 76,439 times
This is an interesting topic, I am from Texas (a genuine Texan) and I have a non descript accent, its only when in a real laid back mood that the slightest Texas drawal can be recognized. I have worked on this for years but going back to the original discussion on Nebraska accents I am instantly reminded of Johnny Carson, from Norfolk, Ne and Dick Cavett also from Nebraska and their smooth non descript delivery, this represents Nebraska to me, in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics