Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 07:38 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Just thinking earlier today, we rode bicycles without helmets! Skateboards and skates without knee and elbow pads! If you go back far enough, you rode in cars that did not have factory seatbelts. My dad installed the seatbelts in our cars up to and including in the 1960s!
My dad had some old car that had a luggage area, or an area similar to that, behind the front seat. We kids sat on empty paint cans in the empty area. When bucket seats became the norm, I always joked that my family had buckets seats a long time before people wanted them.

I don't think I had car insurance in 1962 when I was first got my beginner's driver's license at age 13 because it was not required in Texas. I was fully licensed the next year at 14.

BTW, Looking back at my first post, I made an error. In July of 1969 I had been in the military service a year so I must have watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon from my barracks room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:43 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
We did everything on bikes with no helmets. I know I got a concussion from a head-on with my brother. I drove for years in vehicles with no seat belts. Then drove many more years in cars sitting on seat belts. They came out with helmet laws for motorcyclists the year i got my first. Now not too many years later and since.. it's been done away with. Tell me that makes sense...
Then: don't eat too much fat.
Now: don't each too much sugar.

Salt causes high blood pressure.
Salt doesn't cause high blood pressure.
Now they've loaded our foods with flavor enhancers to make up for low salt.
At least we have a natural ability to tell when something has too much salt in it.

Eggs are bad for you.
Eggs are good for you.
Some of us kept right on enjoying eggs, scrambled, fried, in omelets, you name it.

There are others, surely. I know, I know, don't call you Shirley.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:47 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
My dad had some old car that had a luggage area, or an area similar to that, behind the front seat. We kids sat on empty paint cans in the empty area. When bucket seats became the norm, I always joked that my family had buckets seats a long time before people wanted them.

I don't think I had car insurance in 1962 when I was first got my beginner's driver's license at age 13 because it was not required in Texas. I was fully licensed the next year at 14.
I remember riding in the car laying down on the shelf behind the back seat. Remember those? Just for fun, being a kid. A family of five from the Communist bloc coulda lived in an American sedan and been amazed at how spacious it was.

Also, we rode in my dad's pickup truck sitting on the tool box. I think they made that illegal in some places. If even allowed to, you'd have to sit down in the bed of the truck. Not the cleanest spot in a work truck or the driest after a rain.

Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:

At least we have a natural ability to tell when something has too much salt in it.

Eggs are bad for you.
Eggs are good for you.
Some of us kept right on enjoying eggs, scrambled, fried, in omelets, you name it.

Yeah that drives me nuts. The age of the internet ... you can find differing "Facts" everywhere on it. Hard to believe anything we see on the WWW.

I now eat butter because margarine is said to be terrible. That's a switch. Fluoride toothpaste should be given to children in small quantities and not ingested. Now it's in something as basic as our water supplies with no restrictions or warning as to consumption.

Alcohol kills brain cells but a couple drinks a day are good for you.

God help us!

Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Wow! Was he killed in the accident? Don't leave us hanging.

My grand daughter apparently has a great relationship with her principal. Although it's a large high school, it seems he is an old "rocker guitar player" and she is a new "rocker." I think it's great. Oddly, I only remember my vice principal from HS, I think because he was the one who always dealt out the punishment.
Yes killed instantly from what I remember as a child..

Old 02-16-2016, 10:00 PM

Remember fishing with my dad... must have been 6-7 yr. old we had a old wooden boat with a 10 hp outboard.. Old motor the kind you wrap the cotton cord around the fly wheel and "YANK" n "YANK" n YANK" and slip and your hand comes off the wooden handle.... and the hand slams into your son face and throws him up into the bow... I had a big old shiner from that one... years later many times Dad and I would talk about that day..

Old 02-16-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:

Eggs are bad for you.
Eggs are good for you.

When I was a kid... I drank water from the creek.. Davey Crockett & Daniel Boone drank from the creek so that made it OK by me... little did I know about DDT and the 200 head dairy farm 2 miles up the creek.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:08 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E88RUqyjts

Old 02-16-2016, 10:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
I had a friend in Jr high we first met in 7th grade. He studdered at times if he wasn't careful. He was bright and a fun character. When I turned 14 I got a new motorcycle. Not long after that he went and gone an identical one himself. I think it was his first day out he was hit by a car that ran a stop sign. Spent a year in a cast with a broken leg. We were in the same classes throughout Jr high. When we moved on to High School we shared no classes. I switched schools after my first year of HS. Didn't see much of him until I'd graduated a couple years later.

Then one day as I was preparing to leave on a youth retreat with my church, I heard he was found dead. He was 19. He was found dead in his car on a lonely side street in the early morning hours. He had frozen his lungs by inhaling Freon. He had a younger brother and an older brother. I heard rumors of other kids ...certain groups maybe messing with drugs. Never really saw any back in those days. Most of us were a pretty innocent lot.

I remember a older boy in the neighborhood. Sort of a beatnik and/or anti-establishment type. He'd manage to have a group follow him around to what end I know not. In Jr high a couple boys tried to blow up a tree on the school property. They got in trouble but probably not too deeply.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times
Quote:
I remember riding in the car laying down on the shelf behind the back seat. Remember those? Just for fun, being a kid. A family of five from the Communist bloc coulda lived in an American sedan and been amazed at how spacious it was.

Also, we rode in my dad's pickup truck sitting on the tool box. I think they made that illegal in some places. If even allowed to, you'd have to sit down in the bed of the truck. Not the cleanest spot in a work truck or the driest after a rain.

Yes. Do cars even have a back shelf anymore? Ha! That's how long since I drove a coupe or a sedan. My dad once brought home what I remember was something like a used Packard 4-door. It had a backseat and floorboard area so large you could play hide and seek in it. We thought it was so ugly that we talked him into taking it back to the dealer.

Remember the side vent windows cars and trucks had on the leading edge of the front window? I think the last truck that I had with those was a '71 Chevy Cheyenne.

I think people riding in the truck bed is illegal here in Texas. However, they didn't make it illegal before I rode in many beds as a kid. One time we were all in the bed of, I believe, a Ford truck and one of the tie rods came loose. Luckily the truck headed for a shallow ditch and did not turn over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics