Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times

Advertisements

So lately, I've been doing a few reading and changing the way I do things regarding my goals and aspirations for my life. I noticed that for the last few years, I have been quite negative regarding the finances of my family and the choices they make with them. We always seem to have financial problems and I swear I knew the answers to them but nobody listened to me. Everything always turned out exactly how I predicted they would. Bad.

I'm recently finding out from not only reading biblical scripture but listening to advice of life coaches and authors who say that we can speak things into existence and that perhaps it wasn't my family's fault but my own fault for my negative words and discouraging statements that made the bad things fall in line with what I said. I've read a few astonishing things online regarding this same thing. Even as far as speaking death and it happened!

Do you believe we can speak things into existence? Tell me what you think and your experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
You could try preventing everyone in Florida from speaking about hurricanes and see if that helps.

By which I mean to suggest that the question has practical existence only on some levels. People talk about winning the lottery every day, and it still doesn't happen. But when you talk about one's attitude, outlook, and approach regarding life and all its little puzzles, there would not appear to be the slightest doubt that they factor into all sorts of different outcomes. Athletes regularly train by simply (but deeply and repeatedly) visualizing themselves succeeding at whatever it is they are trying to do. There is certainly value to be found in that sort of regular focusing, framing, and practicing in anticipation and eventually expectation of positive outcomes.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,878,766 times
I believe we can speak things regarding our own personal attitudes into existence. I.E. if we tell ourselves repeatedly that we will become physically fit, we will increase our ability to do so. Repitition reinforces our attitudes.

I do not believe we can literally speak something into existence-such as the 2nd posters mention of ppl in Florida w/a hurricane.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,034,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So lately, I've been doing a few reading and changing the way I do things regarding my goals and aspirations for my life. I noticed that for the last few years, I have been quite negative regarding the finances of my family and the choices they make with them. We always seem to have financial problems and I swear I knew the answers to them but nobody listened to me. Everything always turned out exactly how I predicted they would. Bad.

I'm recently finding out from not only reading biblical scripture but listening to advice of life coaches and authors who say that we can speak things into existence and that perhaps it wasn't my family's fault but my own fault for my negative words and discouraging statements that made the bad things fall in line with what I said. I've read a few astonishing things online regarding this same thing. Even as far as speaking death and it happened!

Do you believe we can speak things into existence? Tell me what you think and your experiences.
This may not be dead on target to what you are talking about but I think news folks can "suggest" things and in so doing, capture the public consciousness. For example, a network news anchor while interviewing an alleged political expert, can ask if Newt Gingrich (for example) has sufficient interest in winning the New Hampshire primary to win it. The question itself can have an influence on at least some voters and consequently potentially effect outcomes.

Also, I have been told throughout my life of the "power of positive thinking". Through the years I have amended that philosophy. I now believe in doing one's best, but to assume that failure is imminent. Both effort, and a belief in failure, should be present. The idea is; positive thinking (or talking to oneself) doesn't physically have any real benefits, but preparing for the worst can stave off disappointment and dejection, and if success comes, it is all the more satisfying.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:34 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,019,938 times
Yes, they're called words.

Seriously though, if you think about it, language is a powerful thing. It's what allows human beings to co-operate, communicate, deceive, betray, convince, compromise, get our intentions across, get things done and co-exist in this world.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:15 PM

24,421 posts, read 23,084,509 times
There have been some VERY odd coincidences where lottery numbers have come up on certain dates, numbers that were on many peoples minds. So, I think its possible you can think things into being, but maybe you have to harness the consciousness of many people. Its possible.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
It is not magic, it is called positive affirmation, a way to program your subconscious and activate your conscious mind to act towards your goals. Psychologists have been promoting the practice for decades.

Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,184,449 times
Excellent question; and it's been on my mind as well. It is biblical Romans 4:17
And it has been brought up with movies such as The Secret as well. Speaking Faith. I have used this & tested it. My only question is- what if you slip, get off track & start talking negatively? What does that do? Can you undo the negative with more positive? I've pondered this lately. Affirmations do work; so whatever you want to achieve- make some affirmations memorize them & say them.....

Old 01-17-2012, 06:43 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,629,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Excellent question; and it's been on my mind as well. It is biblical Romans 4:17
And it has been brought up with movies such as The Secret as well. Speaking Faith. I have used this & tested it. My only question is- what if you slip, get off track & start talking negatively? What does that do? Can you undo the negative with more positive? I've pondered this lately. Affirmations do work; so whatever you want to achieve- make some affirmations memorize them & say them.....
Finally! A person who understands! I've heard about that book the Secret but I decided not to read it because it has too many elements that I can't get with it. But the basics like speaking things into existence seem to work for quite a bit of people as I've been reading online. I have also been reading about how you can write things into existence. I've personally experienced this.Albeit on a smaller scale.

In the past, I was never a person to write down New Year's resolution lists. I hated doing it because I thought it was pointless. But one year, I wrote a list and it ALL came true! I remember I did that a second year too. I think there is some credibility to the idea as I've been reading the reviews for this book Write It Down, Make it Happen.

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to be more positive and speak positive things into your life and write down goals and things that you want. Alot of people think it's psuedo but to me, I'm tired of being negative and unhappy. I understand we have to get up and actually do things to make things happen. Which I do. It's just that whatever I've been doing has not worked and I'm ready to try something new this year. I've been doing it for a few days. Just speaking positive things unto my family and writing down what I want to see happen to them. I guess I will see the results as the year goes by!

Old 01-17-2012, 06:51 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,551,995 times
I believe that's how goals are met.
It's a lot like putting.....you visualize the ball going in the cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics