Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 03:24 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Good morning and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, August 14, 2016.

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are American football star Tim Tebow, singer-actress Sarah Brightman, rockers David Crosby and Dash Crofts (Seals and Crofts); author Danielle Steel; cartoonist Gary Larson (“The Far Side”); comedian-actor-author Steve Martin; comic actresses Alice Ghostley and Jackée Harry; and basketball legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

Today’s Questions:
In a rep comment last week an Other Topics regular mentioned to me the old TV Western “The Rifleman” and that she’d had a crush on Johnny Crawford, who played the son, Mark. Did you ever have a crush on a TV or movie star or wish that they were your mom, your dad or your best friend? Who was it? Did you outgrow the feeling or do you still find this person attractive?
I do believe the TV attractions started with one of the Brady brothers - Peter or Greg. Then I moved on to "Chachi Arcola" of Happy Days. Gee, then probably Magnum P.I.; followed by "Joey from Friends. Next was Tim Taylor, a.k.a. Tim Allen. Nowadays, eh ... no one in particular.

Bonus Question:
Have you ever done any of the following:
Cartwheels? Forty years and thirty pounds ago.
Splits? Tried it ... once.
Standing on your head? In gym class! Mandatory, you know.
Walking on stilts? Not mandatory.
Walking on a tightrope? Aksarben had the correct answer on this one.

If so, can you still do any of these things? No.

Just For Fun:
Today is National Creamsicle Day. I used to love those vanilla ice cream bars with the orange sherbet coating. What summer treats do you fondly remember from your childhood?
There was a cool whip and pistachio pudding dessert that someone used to make. A big bowl of green fluff with cherries.

Can you still get them today or are they only a fond memory? I've a recipe somewhere.

Today in History:
1248 - The rebuilding of the Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany, begins after the old cathedral was destroyed by fire.
1805 - A peace treaty between the U.S. and Tunis is signed on board the USS Constitution.
1848 - The Oregon Territory is established.
1880 - The Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany is finally completed after 632 years of rebuilding. Hope they weren't being paid by the hour.
1888 - A patent for the electric meter was granted to Oliver B. Shallenberger.
1896 - Gold is discovered in Canada's Yukon Territory. Within the next year more than 30,000 people rush to the area to look for gold.
1900 - An international force, consisting of eight nations, lift the siege of Peking. It marks the end of the Boxer Rebellion, which was aimed at purging China of foreigners.
1917 - China declares war on Germany and Austria during World War I.
1919 - About 1 million tons of ice and rock break off of a glacier near Mont Blanc, France. Nine people are killed in the incident.
1935 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Social Security Act into law. The act created unemployment insurance and pension plans for the elderly.
1936 - The first basketball competition is held at the Olympic Games in Berlin, Germany. The U.S. defeats Canada, 19-8.
1941 – The U.S. Congress appropriates the funds to construct the Pentagon (approximately $83 million). The building is the new home of the U.S. War Department (since renamed the Department of Defense).
1941 - U.S. President Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill issue the Atlantic Charter. The charter is a statement of principles that renounced aggression.
1944 - The federal government allows the manufacture of certain domestic appliances to resume on a limited basis.
1945 – U.S. President Harry Truman announces that Japan has surrendered unconditionally. The surrender ends World War II.
1947 - Pakistan becomes independent from British rule.
1953 - The whiffle ball is invented.
1959 - The first meeting is held to organize the American Football League.
1962 - A U.S. mail truck is held up in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The robbers get away with more that $1.5 million dollars.
1969 - British troops arrive in Northern Ireland to intervene in sectarian violence between Protestants and Roman Catholics.
1973 - The U.S. bombing of Cambodia ends, marking the official end to 12 years of combat in Indochina by the U.S.
1976 - A charity softball game for the Community General Hospital in Monticello, New York, is eventually called off due to weather after 30 hours. The final score was Gager's Diner's 491 to Bend 'n Elbow Tavern's 467.
1980 - People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is incorporated.
1985 – Michael Jackson outbids Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono for the rights to the entire Lennon-McCartney music catalog, over 250 songs.
1986 – U.S. officials announce that a U.S. Drug Enforcement agent had been abducted, interrogated and tortured by Mexican police.
1987 - Mark McGwire sets the record for major league home runs by a rookie when he connects for his 49th home run of the season.
1992 - The U.S. announces that emergency airlifts of food to Somalia would begin. The action is being taken to stop mass deaths due to starvation.
1995 - Shannon Faulkner becomes the first female cadet in the history of The Citadel, South Carolina’s state military college. She quits the school less than a week later.
1997 – Film director William Friedkin receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
1998 - A U.S. federal appeals court in Richmond, Virginia, rules that the Food and Drug Administration has no authority to regulate tobacco. The FDA had established rules to make it harder for minors to buy cigarettes.
2000 – The budget air carrier Valujet is ordered to pay $11 million in fines and restitution for hazardous waste violations in the Florida crash that killed 110 people in 1996.
2015 - In Havana, Cuba, the U.S. Embassy re-opens after being closed 54 years earlier.

Word of the Day:
Budgie smugglers
(Australia, New Zealand, informal, plural only)
A style of tightfitting men’s swimming costume cut like underwear briefs that cover the groin and buttocks but not the legs. Often worn in lifesaving and swimming races.

Quote of the Day:
“Behind every great fortune is a crime.”
- Honoré de Balzac

Today is
National V-J Day
National Creamsicle Day
Social Security Day
Thanks Bay! Wishing all a terrific week ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 04:47 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Today’s Questions:
In a rep comment last week an Other Topics regular mentioned to me the old TV Western “The Rifleman” and that she’d had a crush on Johnny Crawford, who played the son, Mark. Did you ever have a crush on a TV or movie star or wish that they were your mom, your dad or your best friend? Who was it? Did you outgrow the feeling or do you still find this person attractive?

Inger Nillson (Pippi Longstocking) & Melissa Gilbert (Little House on the Prarie)

I would have been in heaven if I could have had them as a BFF or sister!

My mother is 1st generation American born Greek (english was her 2nd language). When I was a school-girl in the late 70's, I really stuck out like a sore thumb in my homemade dresses & my past the waist length hair that was firmly combed & put into tight braids (to this day I have the LEAST sensitive scalp ever).

I was only allowed to watch 2 TV shows; Little House on the Prarie & Wonderful World of Disney. (everything else was declared as "Junk") so I didn't even realize at first that kids were making fun me when they called me "Laura" (Ingalls-Wilder), I took it as a compliment.

Additionally; my parents were vegans & joggers before it was "cool"...I actually had people pull up to me wanting to know if I was "ok" because they thought I was running "away" from somebody (& once the police picked me up & drove me home when I was jogging).

This, plus my competing on swim team made me an unusually strong child & I was the Penrose Elementary School arm wrestling champ over ALL the boys in the 6th grade.

All this ^ ^ ^ is what led me to feel a kinship with Astrid Lindgren's character "Pippi Longstocking".

I would have LOVED to have been friends with them & to this day I "identify" with them

Bonus Question:
Cartwheels?
Splits?
Standing on your head?

Walking on stilts?
Walking on a tightrope?

No; I pose a significant danger to myself just walking across the floor.

If so, can you still do any of these things?

Oh h*ll no...I actually tried a cartwheel last year...looked more like a "jumping toad" imitation.

Just For Fun:
Today is National Creamsicle Day. I used to love those vanilla ice cream bars with the orange sherbet coating. What summer treats do you fondly remember from your childhood?

Red, white & blue Bomb Pops!

Can you still get them today or are they only a fond memory?

You can still buy them but they are ghosts of their former selves...very small & more "icy"/ less creamy.

Old 08-14-2016, 06:09 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Good morning and welcome to the Question of the Day for Sunday, August 14, 2016.

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Virgo. Some famous people who share your birthday are American football star Tim Tebow, singer-actress Sarah Brightman, rockers David Crosby and Dash Crofts (Seals and Crofts); author Danielle Steel; cartoonist Gary Larson (“The Far Side”); comedian-actor-author Steve Martin; comic actresses Alice Ghostley and Jackée Harry; and basketball legend Earvin “Magic” Johnson.

Today’s Questions:
Heart Throb >>> Shelly Fabare -- Annett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwIYSofgpY0

Bonus Question:
Cartwheels? ...... Yes when I slip on the ice I go A$$ over tea Kettle..
Splits?................................. and do the splits.. and rip out several rivets....
Standing on your head?...... Only when I take my funnel off.. think of a can.. no problem flat.
Walking on stilts? ............ Not stilts.. but stove pipe legs yes
Walking on a tightrope?..... Would not work... sharp feet would cut the rope..

Just For Fun:
Yucky ... Popsicles Only.. Or Cheerio's.. Think Moon Pie Ice Cream.. with a liquid cherry center dipped in Milk Chocolate - Dark Chocolate - Vanilla - Strawberry covering hard shell.

Can you still get them today or are they only a fond memory? I don't think they are made anymore..

Thanks... Bay have a great week...

Old 08-14-2016, 10:59 PM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Today’s Questions:
Did you ever have a crush on a TV or movie star or wish that they were your mom, your dad or your best friend? Who was it? Did you outgrow the feeling or do you still find this person attractive?
I had a crush on Joe Feeney, the Irish tenor from the Lawrence Welk Show. I also used to like Johnny Crawford on The Rifleman, Tommy Rettig on Lassie and I wished that the older daughter on Father Knows Best, Elinor Donahue, was my big sister. As a teenager I thought John Astin on The Addams Family was hot. I got over all these fangirl crushes eventually.

Bonus Question:
Cartwheels? No. Always wanted to but couldn't figure out how it works.
Splits? No
Standing on your head? I used to be able to do this, but I wouldn't try it now.
Walking on stilts? Yes
Walking on a tightrope? No

If so, can you still do any of these things? I could probably still do stilts.

Just For Fun:
Fudgsicles
Sidewalk Sundaes
Drumsticks
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Push Ups
Sno Cones
Lemon Slushes
Root Beer Floats
Dipped soft serve cones
S'Mores

I can make my own root beer floats and s'mores.
Fudsicles, Drumsticks, ice cream sandwiches, Sno Cones and soft serve cones are still being sold.
I haven't seen slushes for years. They've been supplanted by Slurpees and Icees.
Sidewalk Sundaes, which were a chocolate-coated vanilla ice cream bar with a vein of fudge ice cream in the middle, seem to have vanished forever.

Thanks to everyone for your interesting answers!

Old 08-15-2016, 09:02 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,824,565 times
a rep comment last week an Other Topics regular mentioned to me the old TV Western “The Rifleman” and that she’d had a crush on Johnny Crawford, who played the son, Mark. Did you ever have a crush on a TV or movie star or wish that they were your mom, your dad or your best friend? Who was it? Did you outgrow the feeling or do you still find this person attractive? Shirley Partridge aka Shirley Jones. .she was a great mom

Bonus Question:
Cartwheels? Have never. .can't do it
Splits?
Standing on your head?
Walking on stilts?
Walking on a tightrope? None of above

Just For Fun:
Today is National Creamsicle Day. I used to love those vanilla ice cream bars with the orange sherbet coating. What summer treats do you fondly remember from your childhood? Toasted Almond. .my all time fav

Can you still get them today or are they only a fond memory? I think they do..

Old 08-15-2016, 11:28 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Yayyyy! Bayyyy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Today’s Questions:

You mean when I was a little kid? Yeah...I liked Patty Duke and then not long after I liked Raquel Welch.

Bonus Question:
Cartwheels?
Splits?
Standing on your head?
Walking on stilts?
Walking on a tightrope?

I stood on my head when I was a kid...I didn't like doing it. But, heck, Bay! I ain't doin' that stuff now......are you?

Just For Fun:

Man, I love those creamsicles! I also loved the Mr. Softee ice creams...the Mickey Mouse cones and the ones that were only on 'special' days, like pistachio soft serve and peach soft serve...cones! Also, Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake, Chocolate Eclair and the one that was vanilla ice cream with chocolate shell coating and in the middle, on the stick, was a big chocolate bar that was awesome.
Yayyyyyy!

In hindsight, we should have tipped the poor guy!

(Oooooo! What was that one Good Humor.....Oh! OH! OOOOO! 'Toasted Almond'! Wowie Zowie, so darn good! )

Maybe you can get Good Humor ones somewhere.

Today in History:
1248 - The rebuilding of the Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany, begins after the old cathedral was destroyed by fire.
1805 - A peace treaty between the U.S. and Tunis is signed on board the USS Constitution.
1848 - The Oregon Territory is established.
1880 - The Cologne Cathedral in Cologne, Germany is finally completed after 632 years of rebuilding.
1888 - A patent for the electric meter was granted to Oliver B. Shallenberger.
1896 - Gold is discovered in Canada's Yukon Territory. Within the next year more than 30,000 people rush to the area to look for gold.
1900 - An international force, consisting of eight nations, lift the siege of Peking. It marks the end of the Boxer Rebellion, which was aimed at purging China of foreigners.
1917 - China declares war on Germany and Austria during World War I.
1919 - About 1 million tons of ice and rock break off of a glacier near Mont Blanc, France. Nine people are killed in the incident.
1935 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Social Security Act into law. The act created unemployment insurance and pension plans for the elderly.
1936 - The first basketball competition is held at the Olympic Games in Berlin, Germany. The U.S. defeats Canada, 19-8.
1941 – The U.S. Congress appropriates the funds to construct the Pentagon (approximately $83 million). The building is the new home of the U.S. War Department (since renamed the Department of Defense).
1941 - U.S. President Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill issue the Atlantic Charter. The charter is a statement of principles that renounced aggression.
1944 - The federal government allows the manufacture of certain domestic appliances to resume on a limited basis.
1945 – U.S. President Harry Truman announces that Japan has surrendered unconditionally. The surrender ends World War II.
1947 - Pakistan becomes independent from British rule.
1953 - The whiffle ball is invented.
1959 - The first meeting is held to organize the American Football League.
1962 - A U.S. mail truck is held up in Plymouth, Massachusetts. The robbers get away with more that $1.5 million dollars.
1969 - British troops arrive in Northern Ireland to intervene in sectarian violence between Protestants and Roman Catholics.
1973 - The U.S. bombing of Cambodia ends, marking the official end to 12 years of combat in Indochina by the U.S.
1976 - A charity softball game for the Community General Hospital in Monticello, New York, is eventually called off due to weather after 30 hours. The final score was Gager's Diner's 491 to Bend 'n Elbow Tavern's 467.
1980 - People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is incorporated.

1985 – Michael Jackson outbids Paul McCartney and Yoko Ono for the rights to the entire Lennon-McCartney music catalog, over 250 songs.
1986 – U.S. officials announce that a U.S. Drug Enforcement agent had been abducted, interrogated and tortured by Mexican police.
1987 - Mark McGwire sets the record for major league home runs by a rookie when he connects for his 49th home run of the season.
1992 - The U.S. announces that emergency airlifts of food to Somalia would begin. The action is being taken to stop mass deaths due to starvation.
1995 - Shannon Faulkner becomes the first female cadet in the history of The Citadel, South Carolina’s state military college. She quits the school less than a week later.
1997 – Film director William Friedkin receives a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
1998 - A U.S. federal appeals court in Richmond, Virginia, rules that the Food and Drug Administration has no authority to regulate tobacco. The FDA had established rules to make it harder for minors to buy cigarettes.
2000 – The budget air carrier Valujet is ordered to pay $11 million in fines and restitution for hazardous waste violations in the Florida crash that killed 110 people in 1996.
2015 - In Havana, Cuba, the U.S. Embassy re-opens after being closed 54 years earlier.

Word of the Day:
Budgie smugglers
(Australia, New Zealand, informal, plural only)
A style of tightfitting men’s swimming costume cut like underwear briefs that cover the groin and buttocks but not the legs. Often worn in lifesaving and swimming races.

Quote of the Day:
“Behind every great fortune is a crime.”
- Honoré de Balzac

Today is
National V-J Day
National Creamsicle Day
Social Security Day
Thanks for the swell fun, Bay-babe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics