Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 09:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,374,299 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday January 2, everybody-and welcome to this year’s first Monday QOTD.
Posting a bit earlier than usual because I have a cold, which means I run the risk of falling asleep & neglecting to post the Qs.

Today’s Question:
Do you find yourself writing the wrong date (2016, instead of 2017) at start of a new calendar year ?
If so, does that last for a couple days, a couple weeks, a couple months ?
Have you bought or been given a 2017 calendar ?

Extra Credit:
Do you read any of those “end-of-year” best/most lists (pop culture, news, etc.), to see if there’s anything you missed out on (or want to revisit) ?

Bonus:
What do you use to heat up water for a hot drink: a coffee pot, a tea kettle, an electric kettle, a saucepan on stovetop, or other ?

Just for Fun:
Do you have a leather jacket ?
Have you ever tried on leather pants ?
Have you sat in a leather chair, whether home furnishings or car seat material/cover ?

Today in History:
1956: Birth of cartoonist & author Lynda Barry (Ernie Pook’s Comeek)
1959: Launch of Soviet Union’s Luna 1, the first spacecraft to orbit the sun
1973: Birth of actress Lucy Davis (The Office UK, “Shaun of the Dead”)
1974: President Nixon signs The National Maximum Speed Law, setting a 55 mph limit
1975: Birth of actor Dax Shepard (Parenthood, “Idiocracy”)
2004: NASA’s Stardust spacecraft collects dust samples from the icy coma surrounding Comet 81P/Wild 2

Today’s Word:
Two-for-one, because same spelling, yet different pronunciations & parts of speech…
buffet /bəˈfā/ (n.): Meal setting with several food choices which guests serve for themselves.
buffet /ˈbəfət/ (vb.): Hit, strike, or pound. Example: waves buffeting the rocks on a coastline.

Today Is:
National Motivation and Inspiration Day
National Science Fiction Day
National Cream Puff Day
National Buffet Day
-this month is-
National Volunteer Blood Donor Month
National Glaucoma Awareness Month
International Quality of Life Month
Self-Help Group Awareness Month
National Polka Music Month
National Stalking Awareness Month

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower right-

Thought for the Day:
“We spend so much time being afraid of failure, afraid of rejection. But regret is the thing we should fear most.
Failure is an answer. Rejection is an answer. Regret is an eternal question that you will never have the answer to.”
-Trevor Noah

Wishing all y’all a bright & shiny better year ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 09:11 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Posting a bit earlier than usual because I have a cold, which means I run the risk of falling asleep & neglecting to post the Qs.

Thank you for thinking about us. Sending good vibes your way for a speedy recovery!

Today’s Question:
Do you find yourself writing the wrong date (2016, instead of 2017) at start of a new calendar year ?
- Usually once or twice per year.

Have you bought or been given a 2017 calendar ? - Nope and I won't be buying one.
Can't recall the last time I had one.

Extra Credit:
Do you read any of those “end-of-year” best/most lists (pop culture, news, etc.), to see if there’s anything you missed out on (or want to revisit) ?
- Sometimes but not usually.

Bonus:
What do you use to heat up water for a hot drink: a coffee pot, a tea kettle, an electric kettle, a saucepan on stovetop, or other ?
- An oversized pot.

Just for Fun:

Never to both.

Have you sat in a leather chair, whether home furnishings or car seat material/cover ? - Car, yes.

Today in History:
2012 - John13 signs up on City-Data

Happy Monday!

Last edited by John13; 01-01-2017 at 09:23 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 09:22 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times
Get well soon!
Today’s Question:
Do you find yourself writing the wrong date (2016, instead of 2017) at start of a new calendar year ? Sometimes.
If so, does that last for a couple days, a couple weeks, a couple months ? Not long!

Extra Credit:

Bonus:
What do you use to heat up water for a hot drink: a coffee pot, a tea kettle, an electric kettle, a saucepan on stovetop, or the M/W?

Just for Fun:
Do you have a leather jacket ? Not any more.
Have you sat in a leather chair, whether home furnishings or car seat material/cover ?

Today in History:
1974: President Nixon signs The National Maximum Speed Law, setting a 55 mph limit
2004: NASA’s Stardust spacecraft collects dust samples from the icy coma surrounding Comet 81P/Wild 2

Today’s Word:
Two-for-one, because same spelling, yet different pronunciations & parts of speech…
buffet /bəˈfā/ (n.): Meal setting with several food choices which guests serve for themselves.
buffet /ˈbəfət/ (vb.): Hit, strike, or pound. Example: waves buffeting the rocks on a coastline.

Today Is:
National Cream Puff Day
National Buffet Day
-this month is-

Thought for the Day:
“We spend so much time being afraid of failure, afraid of rejection. But regret is the thing we should fear most.
Failure is an answer. Rejection is an answer. Regret is an eternal question that you will never have the answer to.”
-Trevor Noah

Thanks Cloven! Same to you!

Last edited by SATX56; 01-01-2017 at 09:31 PM..

Old 01-01-2017, 09:42 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Default 2017

Today’s Question:
Do you find yourself writing the wrong date (2016, instead of 2017) at start of a new calendar year ? YES
If so, does that last for a couple days, a couple weeks, a couple months ? couple of weeks
Have you bought or been given a 2017 calendar ? no I dont use them

Extra Credit:
Do you read any of those “end-of-year” best/most lists (pop culture, news, etc.), to see if there’s anything you missed out on (or want to revisit) ? Nah, I don't care what others think.

Bonus:
What do you use to heat up water for a hot drink: a coffee pot, a tea kettle, an electric kettle, a saucepan on stovetop, or other ? Starbucks haha

Just for Fun:
Do you have a leather jacket ? yes
Have you ever tried on leather pants ? yes
Have you sat in a leather chair, whether home furnishings or car seat material/cover ? at home
[/b][/color]
Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Cream Puff Day
National Buffet Day
-this month is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Trevor Noah

Wishing all y’all a bright & shiny better year ahead.[/quote]

Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,700,004 times

Today’s Question:
Do you find yourself writing the wrong date (2016, instead of 2017) at start of a new calendar year ? No.
Have you bought or been given a 2017 calendar ? Yes, been given one.

Extra Credit:
Do you read any of those “end-of-year” best/most lists (pop culture, news, etc.), to see if there’s anything you missed out on (or want to revisit) ? Not usually.

Bonus:
What do you use to heat up water for a hot drink: a coffee pot, a tea kettle, an electric kettle, a saucepan on stovetop, or other ? A tea kettle.

Just for Fun:
Do you have a leather jacket ? Nope.
Have you ever tried on leather pants ? Nope.
Have you sat in a leather chair, whether home furnishings or car seat material/cover ? Yes.

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Cream Puff Day
National Buffet Day
-this month is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Trevor Noah

Wishing all y’all a bright & shiny better year ahead. [/quote]

For you as well, cloven. Feel better soon.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Feel better.

Today’s Question:
Have. More so before debit cards when filling out checks or as a kid in school.

Probably cured before Groundhog day.

Have you bought or been given a 2017 calendar ? Yep and yep!

Extra Credit:
I've looked at articles about news and who died this year.

Bonus:
Pour water in a mug and put it in the microwave.
The metal clip on a tea bag is small enough not to be a problem, unless you're having a drink other than tea.

Just for Fun:
Do you have a leather jacket ? Yes.
Sitting on a leather office chair right now.
I prefer fabric car seats. The temperature of leather car seats is often too hot or too cold.

Today’s Word:
Buffet, Jimmy (n.) singer dude. Example:

Thx. cloven.

Last edited by bjh; 01-01-2017 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: can't resist the pun ;)

Old 01-01-2017, 10:45 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Today’s Question:
Do you find yourself writing the wrong date (2016, instead of 2017) at start of a new calendar year ? Rarely, usually I have to ask what day it is since I'm retired and all days seem to be the same. Is it 2017 yet?
Have you bought or been given a 2017 calendar ? I got 4 free ones from different businesses I deal with.

Extra Credit:
Do you read any of those “end-of-year” best/most lists (pop culture, news, etc.), to see if there’s anything you missed out on (or want to revisit) ? No, not interested, if I want to know something I'll look it up.

Bonus:
What do you use to heat up water for a hot drink: a coffee pot, a tea kettle, an electric kettle, a saucepan on stovetop, or other ? I'm a little teapot short and stout, here is my handle, here is my spout.

Just for Fun:
Do you have a leather jacket ? No.
Have you ever tried on leather pants ? No but I once dated a girl who wore them along with stiletto high heels.
Have you sat in a leather chair, whether home furnishings or car seat material/cover ? Yes, don't like them, in the summer your butt sticks to them, in the winter you freeze your butt off in them.

Happy New Year Cloven, keep them mazes coming.

Old 01-01-2017, 10:46 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times

Today’s Question:
If so, does that last for a couple days, a couple weeks, a couple months ? weeks
Have you bought or been given a 2017 calendar ? No, there is a local bakery that I enjoy and they give me several wall calendars each year. Also my local bank manager provides some as well.

Extra Credit:
Do you read any of those “end-of-year” best/most lists (pop culture, news, etc.), to see if there’s anything you missed out on (or want to revisit) ? nothing special I'm sure.

Bonus:
What do you use to heat up water for a hot drink: a coffee pot, a tea kettle, an electric kettle, a saucepan on stovetop, or other ? Depends on what I need it for. The saucepan comes in handy but I'll use the microwave for a cup of hot water.

Just for Fun:
Do you have a leather jacket ? Yes at one time years ago.
Have you ever tried on leather pants ? No not my thing
Have you sat in a leather chair, whether home furnishings or car seat material/cover ? Yep my recliner is leather

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Cream Puff Day
National Buffet Day
-this month is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Trevor Noah

Old 01-01-2017, 11:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,806,234 times
Quote:
Posting a bit earlier than usual because I have a cold, which means I run the risk of falling asleep & neglecting to post the Qs. Hope you're feeling much better soon!

Today’s Question:
Sometimes unless I make a concentrated effort to remember

Extra Credit:

Bonus:

Just for Fun:
Not anymore, used to have a full-length leather coat, too.
No, heard too many horror stories of those that did try wearing them.
Both

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
And then there's a third one w/an extra "t", as in, Jimmy Buffett!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut1NEhQA1fM

Today Is:
National Cream Puff Day
National Buffet Day
-this month is-

Today’s Picture: Great colorful confetti maze!

Thought for the Day:
-Trevor Noah

Thanks cloven for Monday's QotD, a great start indeed to 2017, take good care!

Happy New Year, Month, Week & Day All!

Old 01-01-2017, 11:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,392,560 times
Quote:

Today’s Question:

Extra Credit:

Bonus:

Just for Fun:

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Cream Puff Day
National Buffet Day
-this month is-

Today’s Picture:

Thought for the Day:
-Trevor Noah

I hope you get feelin better.I do write the wrong date for a while.I have not bought or been given a 2017 calendar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics