Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 06:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times

Advertisements

[quote=PatsCats;48808565]Mornin' all! Posting a bit early tonight; early day tomorrow.

I hope all is well with you, and that you are ready to tackle your day, or hit the sack, depending on where you are on the globe. But first, have fun with the Qs!...

Today's theme is "travel stories."

Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place?

I guess this is a kind of inside out question for me, because I emigrated from the U.S where I was born and have lived in Europe for 18 years. I live in Portugal, but am not of Portuguese ancestry; however, it is totally home for me. As I was telling a friend of mine, when I think or talk about my life in the U.S. it seems like a collection of short stories about someone I used to know. What brings my memory back to the U.S. is news, communications from the U.S. government and conversations with American tourists. They seem like a very strange lot for the most part , and to be honest they are so puzzled by the idea of an American immigrant to another country that they look at me as I might at a giraffe with a rhinoceros' head.

When I read C-D Forums, many are not specifically American in subject matter.

I really enjoy Ireland too, especially the west coast. But too many people there in tourist season. My ancestry is overwhelmingly Irish and I have a longstanding interest in the country and its history and culture. An about fifty years ago I crawled into a megalithic tomb that I had written about in college and had a sleep. It is called Labbacallee.

Time Travel Ireland: Labbacallee Wedge Tomb, County Cork

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? Why?

Somewhere where there are woods, hills or near the sea. Alone, no recreational vehicles around, not on a hiking trail, no pets, no TV, cellphone completely off. Why? It seems to me most of us desperately need it.

Just For Fun:
Have you ever heard of/seen the following places/things: None
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada?
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia?
Machu Picchu, Peru?
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia?
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil?
Leshan Giant Buddha, China?

But have seen the Waves of Nazaré, beloved by the most experienced surfers

http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/11/the-monster-waves-at-nazare-portugal.html

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2012 The Rolling Stones, English rock band, celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of its first performance at the Marquee Club in Oxford Street, London
Birthday: 1997 Malala Yousafzai, Pakistani Activist
Science/Technology: 1988 U.S.S.R. launches Phobos II for Martian orbit
Sports: 1996 Michael Jordan signs a NBA contract for 1 year for $25 million

Today's Word:
peregrination
Pronunciation: (per-i-gruh-ney-shuh n)
Etymology: Late Middle English peregrinacioun (< Middle French peregrinacion) < Latin peregrīnātiōn- (stem of peregrīnātiō) a traveling abroad.
Meaning: noun
1. travel from one place to another, especially on foot.
2. a course of travel; journey.
Earliest Documented Use: 1425-75

I love the fact that it has so many vowel sounds.

Today Is:
Different Colored Eyes Day
Etch-A-Sketch Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day

Quote of the Day:
"I speak not for myself but for those without voice... those who have fought for their rights... their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated." ~ Malala Yousafzai ~

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone! Obrigadinho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Puffy puffy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
Mornin' all! Posting a bit early tonight; early day tomorrow.

I hope all is well with you, and that you are ready to tackle your day, or hit the sack, depending on where you are on the globe. But first, have fun with the Qs!...

I use my Q-tips every day and I love them.

Today's theme is "travel stories." YAY! I am so excited! ...reminds me of Karen and Billy the Mountain!

Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place?

Taco Bell. Tacos...crunchy beef tacos. 24 of them.

Bonus Question(s):

At the Pisgah Inn in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Super incredibly beautiful place, view, accommodations and restaurant with the best view on the planet. Your room overlooks heaven on earth!

http://www.pisgahinn.com/

Anyone want to go there with me?

Just For Fun:
Have you ever heard of/seen the following places/things:
Machu Picchu, Peru?

No, not interested...

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 2012 The Rolling Stones, English rock band, celebrates the fiftieth anniversary of its first performance at the Marquee Club in Oxford Street, London

Today's Word:
peregrination
Etymology: Late Middle English peregrinacioun (< Middle French peregrinacion) < Latin peregrīnātiōn- (stem of peregrīnātiō) a traveling abroad.
1. travel from one place to another, especially on foot. <--I disagree.

Then Peregrin Falcons would mostly walk...?

Today Is:
Different Colored Eyes Day David Bowie - one red, one green.
Etch-A-Sketch Day.....Coolies! Did you ever bust one open?
Pecan Pie Day.....YUCK SPBBBBLLAT PTOOEEY!
Simplicity Day...The sock!

Quote of the Day:
"I speak not for myself but for those without voice... those who have fought for their rights... their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated." ~ Malala Yousafzai ~

Oh B.S.! Nobody speaks for others!

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone!
*** Thanks to you and your cats that I never get to see, for all the morning fun! ***

Old 07-12-2017, 06:51 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place? I lived in Denver at the Embassy Suites hotel in downtown for three months. In a one bedroom apartment with maid service, etc. I was working a major federal trial of something that happened in Oklahoma City. It was weird to be away from home, in that I had a high-schooler that I had to worry about. My mother checked in with him daily, etc. I was allowed to fly back home once a month and had a rental car. I explored the area and enjoyed living downtown. It was an interesting case and time in my career.

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? Why? Fort worth, Santa Fe

Just For Fun:
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada? no
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? no
Machu Picchu, Peru? no
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia? no
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil? no
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? no

Today in History:

Today's Word:
peregrination

Today Is:
Etch-A-Sketch Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone! [/quote]

Old 07-12-2017, 07:05 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Today's Question(s):

I have memories, good and bad, of a lot of places that I have visited for work, vacation as a kid and as a married adult and to do photography. I'm not a city person so that may have impacted my negative opinions. Now we are talking 1960s - present day so some or most of this may have changed drastically since I was there.

Places I didn't like: Los Angeles (traffic 24/7 - seriously, even late on Sunday night), St Louis (boring for me), Atlanta (traffic and heat), Cincinnati (traffic and boring), Miami (bugs and passed out from the heat when I was 12), Austin, Texas (nothing stood out except for good food - liked Dallas better except for the heat), Baltimore (pothole city and crime scary), Chicago (expensive, ugly, boring, scary), Hartford, CT (boring).

Place that I liked that didn't like me: Kansas City outskirts (something in the air I was apparently allergic to made me cry the whole time I was outdoors there otherwise I would put it in the really liked paragraph).

Places I really liked: rural Delaware (farms off of Rte 9 in the Smyrna area and Bombay Hook NWR - my favorite refuge for birds), Ogden, Utah (blue collar town surrounded by snow capped mountains and I will never forget flying over the salt flats), Lake George, NY (best time in my teen years with other teens), Lake Winnepausakee, New Hampshire (smallmouth bass fishing), Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan (loved the St Mary's River, locks for freighters, sea plane, lighthouses, scenery of both Michigan and Canadian side), West Virginia (the state itself is pretty), Jacksonville Beach, Florida (one of my favorite work places to visit), rural Western Virginia (farms along I-81N beautiful - my favorite Interstate).

Bonus Question(s):

I really can't answer this for others. I take solo road trips for photography opportunities these days. I don't go to places people typically go to for fun or sightseeing.

Just For Fun:
no
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? heard of
Machu Picchu, Peru? heard of
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia? no
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil? no
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? no

Old 07-12-2017, 07:09 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,483,693 times

Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place? not a specific memory, but we used to go on cruises everywhere. Mostly the Caribbean islands and Mexico. Beautiful beaches, turquoise water, great weather. Had lots of adventures and the cruise ships were always fun with the people and trying different foods.

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? Why? Orient Beach on St. Maarten, Virgin Island. Beautiful beach.

Just For Fun:
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? heard of
Machu Picchu, Peru? heard of
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? heard of

Old 07-12-2017, 08:19 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Today's Question(s):
Earlier this year Mrs Aks & I visited Europe on a tour where we saw different sites in six different countries. Very interesting but very busy at the time.

Bonus Question(s):
Find a nearby less crowded place outside of town and just relax in the cool peaceful area. It could be the beach, mountains, or National Parks.

Just For Fun:
Machu Picchu, Peru?
^^^^ Heard of some but never visited these locations above.
Attached Thumbnails
Wednesday's Questions, July 12, 2017-dsc_0065.jpg   Wednesday's Questions, July 12, 2017-dsc_0082.jpg   Wednesday's Questions, July 12, 2017-dsc_0363.jpg   Wednesday's Questions, July 12, 2017-dsc_0475.jpg  

Old 07-12-2017, 08:35 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,132 times
Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? What brings your memory back to this place? I haven't traveled much. That being said, I would like to go to PEI again. Friendly people, beautiful scenery. We rented a small house, sharing a beach with one other couple.

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? Why? How about Vermont? It's sure to be cooler than where many of you are now.

Just For Fun:
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada? Have been near to.
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? Heard of
Machu Picchu, Peru? Heard of
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia? Know of Salt Flats, but not in Bolivia
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil? Seen pictures of
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? Seen pictures of
Quote of the Day
:

"I speak not for myself but for those without voice... those who have fought for their rights... their right to live in peace, their right to be treated with dignity, their right to equality of opportunity, their right to be educated." ~ Malala Yousafzai ~ Amazing young woman

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone! Thanks, PatsCats!

Old 07-12-2017, 08:49 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever? Most recently, I was away on vacation this past April. My boyfriend and I and another friend went to Croatia, Slovenia and Italy. What brings your memory back to this place? It was just a few months ago, so it's still fresh in my mind. Things that trigger memories of our great trip include the map of the area which I have hanging on the wall by my desk at work and the photo book that I ordered and received in the mail just last week. It was a marvelous time, and I love being reminded of it.

Bonus Question(s):
Where would you recommend CDers spend a long weekend? In one of Indiana's beautiful state parks, such as Turkey Run, Spring Mill or Clifty Falls. Why? Because they're beautiful places with woods and rivers and lovely inns and cabins on the grounds. The inns are great and cost less than the average hotel room. Plus, I think people unfamiliar with Indiana would be pleasantly surprised at how beautiful and pristine our state parks are.

Just For Fun:
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada? Nope.
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? Heard of it; would love to see it someday.
Machu Picchu, Peru? Heard of it; fascinating place. In the early 1980s I worked for an attorney who was writing a book about his trip to Machu Picchu. He needed a typist and I needed the extra money, so I typed his manuscript.
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia? Nope.
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil? Nope.
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? Heard of it.

Today's Word:
peregrination

Today Is:
Different Colored Eyes Day I've never seen a human with different colored eyes, but have seen a few dogs who had them.
Etch-A-Sketch Day Ha. I wouldn't mind playing with one of those today.
Pecan Pie Day Dang. I'm on a diet. I make the best pecan pies from scratch, by the way.
Simplicity Day Sometimes simple is good.

Quote of the Day:

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone! Tons o' fun! Happy hump day, everybody!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
[quote=PatsCats;48808565]Mornin' all! Posting a bit early tonight; early day tomorrow.

Thanks Pat. All is well except the results of my echo. I have two valves in the early stages of heart disease.

Today's Question(s):

The bag pipes in our annual 4th of July parade popped me right back to the streets of Edinburgh. I was longing for that cool weather because it was sooo hot watching that parade and we had to work on the roof.

Bonus Question(s):

Brown County Indiana. There are cute cabins you can rent at the State Park. It's beautiful there.

Just For Fun:
The tides at the Bay of Fundy, Canada? Yes
The Great Barrier Reef, Australia? Yes. We snorkeled with poisonous snakes all around us.
Machu Picchu, Peru? Not yet but we climbed the pyramids on the Yukatan.
Salar de Uyuni Salt Flats (the world's largest mirror), Bolivia? Not yet.
Iguazu Falls, Argentina/Brazil? Not yet.
Leshan Giant Buddha, China? I'll put that on the bucket list.

Today in History:

Today's Word:
peregrination

Today Is:
Etch-A-Sketch Day
Pecan Pie Day
Simplicity Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanx so much for playing! Have a good day everyone!

No. Thank you Be careful out there dear one. This storm is huge. Finally some rain.

Joe Joe Nightmare ate one of my Brussels sprouts plants last night. Doh!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:43 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Today's Question(s):
Would you tell us briefly about a place you have been away from home, for work, on vacation, an educational trip, summer camp, to visit family, whatever?
Tough question. I'm going with Monument Valley, AZ. A desolate, historical place with NDN's living in much the same manner as they ancestors. But it is still a haunting beautiful place.

What brings your memory back to this place?
Trips in the back country to spiritual places led by Navajo elders and listening to their stories.

Bonus Question(s):
Another toughie. Lets go with Zion NP in the off season. It's a very magical place as well as the surrounding area.

Just For Fun:
Machu Picchu, Peru?
I have heard , read or watched documentaries on all these places, but never visited.

Thanx PatsCats for the very cools Q's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics