Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 10:54 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,301 posts, read 30,539,763 times

Advertisements

Hello and Welcome responders and lurkers alike to . . .

Today's Varied Question(s):
Do you turn the car radio volume down when looking for an address while driving and any idea why?

How do you feel about needles or getting a blood draw?

For employment or otherwise, have you ever been required to take a drug test?

Gameshows, fast paced, stand and deliver "Jeopardy" OR slow paced, talk it over "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"

What's the longest you can imagine waiting in a business where employees said
they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time becasue their computers are down?

Bonus Section:
Do you have a favorite or most well used writing pen, and if so describe, please:

Name a color ink, besides blue or black, that you have or like in a pen?

Remember those blue and white plastic Bic pens with ink of blue, black, red, and green
in the same pen or are you like ?

Foodie Questions:
What was in the last sandwich you ate?

What would you like in the next sandwich you have?

Just for fun:
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Gang
Remember the Little Rascals, Our Gang short films?
Did you enjoy them or no?
Did you have a favorite Little Rascal, and if so, which one(s)?

Published on This Day:
1861 Last installment of "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens when novels were serialized in periodicals

Top Music Hits This Day:
1949 Perry Como - Some Enchanted Evening
1952 Vera Lynn - Auf Weiderseh'n Sweetheart
1960 Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
1961 Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
1965 Herman's Hermits - I'm Henry the VIII, I Am
1967 Doors - Light My Fire
1968 Doors - Hello, I Love You, Won't You Tell Me Your Name
1974 John Denver - Annie's Song/ You Fill Up My Senses
1981 Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
1986 Peter Cetera - Glory of Love
1988 Steve Winwood - Roll With It
2007 Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah

Today's Paraphrase:
"All technologies have a good side, a bad side, and a stupid side you hadn’t considered.”
~Margaret Atwood, writer

Today’s Word:
rascal [RAS-kuh l] noun
a mischievous person or animal

Today Includes:
Friendship Day
Watermelon Day

This Week Includes:
World Breastfeeding Week
Simplify Your Life Week

August Includes:
Arrr-gust, International Pirate Month
Crayon Collection Month
Happiness Happens Month
Sandwich Month

Otay! That's all I have. Happy Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 11:06 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,027,993 times

Do you turn the car radio volume down when looking for an address while driving and any idea why?
Usually not. I don't have the volume very loud to begin with

Does not bother me as long as it is someone else getting poked

I have. Most of my 30 years in the airline industry were in positions that came under DOT drug testing requirements. Nothing like spending 3 days on an airplane only to be handed random drug testing paperwork as I am finally getting to go to the hotel

Gameshows, fast paced, stand and deliver "Jeopardy" OR slow paced, talk it over "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?"
Fast paced

they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time because their computers are down?
I once had to wait almost 4 hours in the middle of the night to clear customs somewhere in Africa because no one on duty knew how to turn on the computer used to take photos of people coming into the country.

Bonus Section:
Do you have a favorite or most well used writing pen, and if so describe, please:
That would be a Parker pen I paid a bunch for many years ago.

Clear ink.

Remember those blue and white plastic Bic pens with ink of blue, black, red, and green
The one's I remember had more than 4 colors

Foodie Questions:
cheese

Grilled Polish sausage, Swiss cheese, onions

Just for fun:
I was never a fan of the show

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 08-02-2017 at 11:27 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 PM

44,705 posts, read 61,900,609 times
Do you turn the car radio volume down when looking for an address while driving and any idea why? No/no

How do you feel about needles or getting a blood draw? Doesn't bother me, I get poked all the time.

For employment or otherwise, have you ever been required to take a drug test? Once.

Game shows, fast paced, stand and deliver "Jeopardy" OR slow paced, talk it over "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" Like 'em all.

What's the longest you can imagine waiting in a business where employees said they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time because their computers are down? Depends, usually 5 minutes tops.

Bonus Section:
Do you have a favorite or most well used writing pen, and if so describe, please: Whatever is available.

Name a color ink, besides blue or black, that you have or like in a pen? Red.

in the same pen or are you like ? Yes, a passing fad I believe.

Foodie Questions:
What was in the last sandwich you ate? Beef gyro at Arby's yesterday.

What would you like in the next sandwich you have? PB&J

Just for fun:
Remember the Little Rascals, Our Gang short films? Yes.
Did you enjoy them or no? Probably, that was a looooong time ago.
Did you have a favorite Little Rascal, and if so, which one(s)? Alfalfa.

Back hurts, gotta go to bed now... Tanks bj

Old 08-02-2017, 11:26 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,064,586 times

I don't mind much unless they start trying to treat me like a pin cushion.
But, I would have passed with flying colors.
Pass! Nothing coming from Holly (loony) Wood that interests me these days.
they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time because their computers are down?
Most employees these days can't help you if their calculator is down.

Bonus Section:
I have a lot of crap ballpoints. They don't put ink in them these days.

Foodie Questions:
Pimento cheese.
Money!

Just for fun:
Did you have a favorite Little Rascal, and if so, which one(s)? The Mutt.

Published on This Day:
1861 Last installment of "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens when novels were serialized in periodicals

Top Music Hits This Day:
1949 Perry Como - Some Enchanted Evening
1952 Vera Lynn - Auf Weiderseh'n Sweetheart
1960 Brenda Lee - I'm Sorry
1961 Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin'
1965 Herman's Hermits - I'm Henry the VIII, I Am
1967 Doors - Light My Fire
1968 Doors - Hello, I Love You, Won't You Tell Me Your Name
1974 John Denver - Annie's Song/ You Fill Up My Senses
1981 Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl
1986 Peter Cetera - Glory of Love
1988 Steve Winwood - Roll With It
2007 Plain White T's - Hey There Delilah

Today's Paraphrase:
"All technologies have a good side, a bad side, and a stupid side you hadn’t considered.”
~Margaret Atwood, writer
I've considered them all.
Today’s Word:
rascal [RAS-kuh l] noun
a mischievous person or animal

Today Includes:
Friendship Day
Watermelon Day

This Week Includes:
World Breastfeeding Week ........
Simplify Your Life Week..

August Includes:
Arrr-gust, International Pirate Month
Crayon Collection Month
Happiness Happens Month
Sandwich Month

Otay! That's all I have. Happy Thursday!
Tanx BJH! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 08-02-2017 at 11:38 PM..

Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 PM

21,646 posts, read 8,803,107 times
Yes, because the loud music is a distraction.

I'm OK with it.

No, but for my first job in 1967 at the phone company I had to take a pregnancy test! I was only 18, naive and shy, and had never even slept with a man. Having to give a urine sample was embarrassing.

I like both shows, but my favorite are the old black-and-white "What's My Line?" reruns on GSN.

It somewhat depends on the type of business it is and how urgently I require their services. If I have nothing else to do I might wait it out, but probably for not longer than an hour.

Bonus Section:
I don't have any particular favorite. As long as the ink won't smear I'm good. I write left-handed with my hand curled around the pen, and if the ink is smeary, it gets all over the page.

I've had pens that were green, red, purple, silver and gold. But for correspondence I only use black or blue.

Those were awkward to write with because the barrel was so thick.

Foodie Questions:
A turkey cheeseburger with mushrooms.

Grilled cheese with bacon and tomato.

Just for fun:
Yes, they were shown on TV when I was a little girl.
Yes, I loved them.
I always liked Darla.

Thanks, bjh!

Old 08-02-2017, 11:38 PM

39,082 posts, read 23,080,344 times
Do you turn the car radio volume down when looking for an address while driving and any idea why? No, never have done this.

How do you feel about needles or getting a blood draw? I generally hate needles but for something medical-related, I'll just grin and bear it.

For employment or otherwise, have you ever been required to take a drug test? Yes, at a few employers before starting at the job.

Gameshows, fast paced, stand and deliver "Jeopardy" OR slow paced, talk it over "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" Any of them are OK.

they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time because their computers are down? Probably no more than a few minutes.

Bonus Section:
Do you have a favorite or most well used writing pen, and if so describe, please: Here at home, it's a retractable ball-point pen with dark blue ink. At work, I use a blue Bic stick pen.

Name a color ink, besides blue or black, that you have or like in a pen? Red. Handy for proofreading and editing.

in the same pen or are you like ? I vaguely remember those back in the day.

Foodie Questions:
What was in the last sandwich you ate? Coldcuts (bologna) with cheese.

What would you like in the next sandwich you have? Grilled chicken with bacon.

Just for fun:
Remember the Little Rascals, Our Gang short films? I do.
Did you enjoy them or no? Yes, it's nice to see how simple life was back in the 30s.
Did you have a favorite Little Rascal, and if so, which one(s)? Spanky.

Enjoy your Friday Eve!

Old 08-02-2017, 11:47 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,463,184 times
I do not like needles........ I don't know why, because many years ago, while I was in the army, they were forever sticking needles in me for gawd knows what reason. I was insulated against every disease known to man.

The years passed, and one day I cut my thumb badly on a tin. Off I went to the hospital to get it stitched. I saw the needle for the pain killing injection, and my blood ran cold at the sight of it.

I went to see my doctor's nurse a couple of weeks ago, and I knew she would want a blood sample. I just looked away while she did it. I'm glad I was sat down.......never again!!......

I have never had to take a blood test for a job. When I used to go on job interviews, it was just a quick chat, and then, "when can you start?" My son says it's very different nowadays.

If I was told I couldn't be helped because the computers were down, I would just leave and go home.

I do remember those pens with many different colours! I had one as a kid. I think it had about twelve different colours in it. It was a complex piece of equipment, and had to be handled with care. It still broke eventually......

I have bread every morning, but not as a sandwich. I toast two pieces of brown bread. On one I spread peanut butter, and cover in coleslaw, and sliced tomato. On the other, I slice cheddar cheese, then place some smoked salmon on top, with coleslaw and sliced tomato. I wash it down with coffee.

I eat this every morning, while reading some thread or other in 'Politics' on c-d. I sometimes reply while licking tomato off my fingers. I am at my most inventive insult wise first thing in the morning.

Have a great day all.......

Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 PM

7,996 posts, read 5,427,353 times
Good Morning

Do you turn the car radio volume down when looking for an address while driving and any idea why? Yes, it is distracting when I am trying to figure something out or concentrate.

How do you feel about needles or getting a blood draw? It is necessary at times, not my favorite thing to have to do.

For employment or otherwise, have you ever been required to take a drug test? Yes

Gameshows, fast paced, stand and deliver "Jeopardy" OR slow paced, talk it over "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" I don't watch game shows.

they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time becasue their computers are down? Depends on the situation and what I needed.

Bonus Section:
Do you have a favorite or most well used writing pen, and if so describe, please: Yes, Fornay on point 0.5mm--sometimes blue, sometimes black

Name a color ink, besides blue or black, that you have or like in a pen? grey

in the same pen or are you like ? I do remember

Foodie Questions:
What was in the last sandwich you ate? BLT

What would you like in the next sandwich you have? I stay away from "sandwiches" as much as possible. Maybe once every couple of months--bread is evil for me. Since it is Summer, I will have another BLT.

Just for fun:
Remember the Little Rascals, Our Gang short films? yes, a little before my time
Did you enjoy them or no? Never really watched an episode

Today Includes:
Friendship Day
Watermelon Day

This Week Includes:
World Breastfeeding Week
Simplify Your Life Week

August Includes:
Arrr-gust, International Pirate Month Ahoy Matey
Crayon Collection Month
Happiness Happens Month
Sandwich Month

Happy, Happy Thursday!

Old 08-03-2017, 12:13 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,633,544 times
Do you turn the car radio volume down when looking for an address while driving and any idea why? I used to. lol

How do you feel about needles or getting a blood draw? I've donated almost 18 gallons of blood to the Red Cross. Don't think needles bother me.

For employment or otherwise, have you ever been required to take a drug test? Yup. Told them all that I don't drink and couldn't afford drugs even if I wanted to take them, so bring it on!

Gameshows, fast paced, stand and deliver "Jeopardy" OR slow paced, talk it over "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" I'm more of a Wheel of Fortune person

they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time becasue their computers are down? I have the common sense to tell them I'll come back later.

Bonus Section:
Do you have a favorite or most well used writing pen, and if so describe, please: Just a regular ink pen from the courthouse. Writes good

Name a color ink, besides blue or black, that you have or like in a pen? I had a red one once

in the same pen or are you like ? Those are selling again. I got in trouble with one of those. Did my homework with one once. Each line was a different color. Teacher was not amused!

Foodie Questions:
What was in the last sandwich you ate? I went to Rally's and had a Baconzilla! A huge double decker bacon cheeseburger. I could swear I heard my cholesterol medicine screaming!

What would you like in the next sandwich you have? My sausage and egg biscuit I'll fix in the morning

Just for fun:
Remember the Little Rascals, Our Gang short films? Yup. Local TV station where I used to live switched between Our Gang, Shirley Temple, and W.C. Fields on Sunday mornings
Did you enjoy them or no? Yup
Did you have a favorite Little Rascal, and if so, which one(s)? Froggy and Pete, the dog.

Old 08-03-2017, 01:32 AM

11,417 posts, read 9,345,989 times

I imagine it's for concentration...

How do you feel about needles or getting a blood draw? - I've been a regular blood donor for the last 26+ years. My advice is don't look at the needle.

For employment or otherwise, have you ever been required to take a drug test? - Probably about 8 times. Never failed.

Gameshows, fast paced, stand and deliver "Jeopardy" OR slow paced, talk it over "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" - It doesn't matter. Since I haven't watched TV in over 3 years...
(I do watch YouTube)

they couldn't help you for an unknown amount of time becasue their computers are down?
- D/K

Bonus Section:
- Parker. Been using them for about 30 years.

Name a color ink, besides blue or black, that you have or like in a pen? - N/A

Foodie Questions:
- Yesterday's lunch - garlic hummus w/ spring mix, spinach, tomato, sliced dill pickles.

What would you like in the next sandwich you have? - Egg, sauteed mushrooms, and cheese. Very likely my breakfast this morning.

Just for fun:
- Only watched a few times as a kid. Wasn't a big fan so no favorite.

Thanks, bjh.
Happy Thursday to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics