Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 11:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,400,759 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday August 28, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ?
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ?

Extra Credit:
If you use a vacuum cleaner, do you generally use the same single brush attachment,
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ?

Bonus:
This question is based on living in northern hemisphere…
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ?

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ?
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ?

Today in History:
1845: The magazine Scientific American is first published
1898: The beverage known as Brad’s Drink (after Caleb Bradham, who invented it in 1893) is renamed Pespi-Cola
1937: Toyota (Motor Company) is spun off from Toyoda Automatic Loom Works as a separate business/brand
1956: Birth of actor Luiz Guzman (Magnolia, Code Black)
1962: Birth of director David Fincher (Se7en, Fight Club, The Social Network)
1969: Birth of actor, musician & songwriter Jack Black (Tenacious D)

Today’s Word:
cairn /kern/ (n.): Pile of stones intentionally placed, to mark a spot-often on a prominent outcropping, such as a hilltop.
More specifically, can signify a historic burial place.

Today Is:
Grandparents’ Day (Mexico)
National Bow Tie Day
Radio Commercials Day

-this week is-
World Water Week
Happily Married Husband and Wife Week

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
“Auditions are like playing the lottery, except you have to explain why you picked your numbers
and why you thought they were good numbers before they tell you that you didn’t win anything.”

-W. Kamau Bell

Wishing everybuggy a cool crisp night and a bright clear morning

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 11:14 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,069,740 times

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? I thought money grew on trees.

Extra Credit:
If you use a vacuum cleaner, do you generally use the same single brush attachment,
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ?
No vacuum cleaning these days.
Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ?
Many times. 100 many times and yes, sadly, it's normal here.
Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ?
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ?
Some do.
Today in History:
1898: The beverage known as Brad’s Drink (after Caleb Bradham, who invented it in 1893) is renamed Pespi-Cola
1937: Toyota (Motor Company) is spun off from Toyoda Automatic Loom Works as a separate business/brand

Today’s Word:
cairn /kern/ (n.): Pile of stones intentionally placed, to mark a spot-often on a prominent outcropping, such as a hilltop.

Today Is:
National Bow Tie Day
Radio Commercials Day

-this week is-
World Water Week Too much in Texas this weekend.

Thought for the Day:
“Auditions are like playing the lottery, except you have to explain why you picked your numbers
and why you thought they were good numbers before they tell you that you didn’t win anything.”

-W. Kamau Bell

Thanks Cloven! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 08-27-2017 at 11:23 PM..

Old 08-27-2017, 11:42 PM

44,708 posts, read 61,909,146 times
Today’s Question:
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? I never take anything for granted.

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? We have a Merry Maid service and I have no idea what they use.

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? We've reached 121F a couple of times, norm is usually 115-117F

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ? I rarely eat chocolates. If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ? Never received a box.

yay cloven

Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 AM

21,649 posts, read 8,805,307 times

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now?
I thought that God was watching me all the time. I thought he was spying on me while I dressed and undressed and that he could see me going to the bathroom!
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up?
That I can communicate instantly, free of charge, with anyone in the world.
Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas?
I use two of the attachments pretty regularly - the upholstery nozzle and the carpet brush.
Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual?
It may have reached 90 this summer, but it would have been for one or two days at the most. Highs are usually in the mid 50s to high 60s this time of year. Yesterday's high was 71º.
Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment)?
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate?
Yes, when I was a little girl Whitman's Samplers were popular. They had a chart on the inside of the lid. Some other chocolates I've bought since also had that feature, which I really like.

Thanks, cloven!

Old 08-28-2017, 03:47 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,875,152 times

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? Carefree days. We played outside, leaving the house in the morning, returning when mom rang the bell for dinner. I'd be surprised if many kids do this now.
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? Technology

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? I don't have a vac.

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? I would guess the average temp this summer to be high 70s, low 80s. There are days temps reach the 90s, but not usual.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment) ? Have
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ? I do remember the chart inside the lid; always went for the caramels first.

Today’s Word:
More specifically, can signify a historic burial place. At the lake where we vacation, the people who live on a particular camp road have built cairns all along the roadside and into the woods. It's a little spooky driving through what my grands call the "rock people" at night.

Today’s Picture:

Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right- A new one!

Thought for the Day:

-W. Kamau Bell

Certainly has been a cool, crisp night! Thanks, cloven!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:14 AM

11,420 posts, read 9,347,664 times
N/A to the growing up part.

Regarding the second part and after reading answers above I'd say the internet for sure. I didn't use a computer until age 40.
It's pretty cool that I can discuss a typhoon in progress with pictures from south China.
They had a bad one last week named Hato and a follow up storm 3 days later.

Obviously many similar examples around the net that I never thought would be possible...

Yes, I use the brush attachment on my vacuum cleaner.

This summer has not been all that hot, compared to some others. We experienced several 90 degree days but the amount of days when we had 100+ degree (37 C) heat index was only a few as way below normal.

I have seen a marked chocolate box before but not in at least 20+ years.

Thanks, cloven.
Hope everyone has a good week!

Old 08-28-2017, 04:24 AM

7,996 posts, read 5,428,567 times
Happy A"mazing" Monday!

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? All the day trips we took. I am sure there is not one Maryland Historical site that I have not visited, and many in DC, VA and PA. I thought all kids did that. I feel fortunate.
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? All the trips I take all over the USA and other Countries. Not sure I take it for granted as much as I feel fortunate for the opportunites.

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? Switch tools

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? It has been a very hot Summer. Yes, it is common, along with high humidity. Many days have been over 90. Last night it was around 55 degrees when I went to bed, I was able to turn off the a/c and enjoy the cool air coming in from the windows.

Just for Fun:

Today’s Word:
Didn't know about "cairn" being a pile of stones intentionally placed. I do know about Cairn Terriers--sure miss mine, she was a good dog!

Today Is:
National Bow Tie Day
Radio Commercials Day [/b][/color]
-this week is-
[color=darkred][b]World Water Week

Have a happy day! Thanks for the maze Cloven!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:41 AM

44,417 posts, read 20,177,379 times
Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now? When I was a little kid, I thought everybody was a happy as I was.
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up? Microwave ovens.

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas? I switch to the crevice tool quite a bit, to get behind and under certain pieces of furniture and to get corners and baseboards.

Bonus: This question is based on living in northern hemisphere…
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer? Yes. We had a lot of 90+ degree days in July. Is that common or unusual? Yes. We had a hotter and wetter July than normal. Conversely, August has been unusually cool and much drier than normal.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever received a “sampler” box of mixed chocolates (variety assortment)? Yes.
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate? Yepper. I eat the ones with dark chocolate and give away most of the milk chocolate ones and those that have fillings I'm not crazy about. Given a choice, I prefer solid chocolate over chocolate with fillings.

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Bow Tie Day
Radio Commercials Day
-this week is-
World Water Week

Fun! Happy Monday, everybody!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:44 AM

126,424 posts, read 19,184,392 times

Today’s Question:
What did you take for granted while growing up, which would surprise you now ? I don't think I took anything for granted in my childhood.....
What do you take for granted now, that would’ve surprised you growing up ? I don't take things for granted

Extra Credit:
or do you regularly switch between tools (upholstery nozzle, carpet brush, crevice tool, etc.) for different areas ? With my central vacuum I have several different pieces to attach and yes I use them

Bonus:
Where you live, has the outdoor temperature reached 90 degrees F this year/summer ? Is that common or unusual ? We had couple of days between 32 and 34 C and adding humidity it felt even worse

Just for Fun:
If so, did it have a chart in/on the box, or way to figure out what was inside of each chocolate ? I don't think so

Today in History:

Today’s Word:

Today Is:
National Bow Tie Day
Radio Commercials Day
-this week is-
World Water Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower left & upper right-

Thought for the Day:
-W. Kamau Bell

Thank you cloven

Old 08-28-2017, 06:22 AM

37,826 posts, read 41,158,528 times
Today’s Question:
That I would always live on Long Island in NY.

Extra Credit:
Don't own one now. Someone vacuums for me and brings it with her. Always used a broom type vacuum in apartments in the past, not a big honkin' vacuum cleaner. Takes up less space, easy to lift.

Bonus:
Yes and it's very common.

Just for Fun:
Yes
Some did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics