Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 01:32 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,617,440 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Looking forward to seeing a long-lost relative in the next few weeks, so I’ve had it on my mind a lot this week. So…
Today's theme is "family."

Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have? Did you grow up/go to school with all of them? Or are you part of a blended family with halves and steps, who may have lived with another parent part of the time, and part of your life?

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases?

Bonus Question(s):
How close do you live to your nearest relative?

How far does the farthest away relative live?

I think that’s enough for today.

Today in History:
Anthropology: 2010 Scientists working near Kokoda, Papua New Guinea uncover world's oldest known high altitude human settlement, estimated to be 49,000 years old
Arts/Entertainment: 1931 Dick Tracy comic strip by Chester Gould debuts
Birthday: 1946 Susan Sarandon, U.S. actor
Science/Technology: 1994 Soyuz TM-20 launches
Sports: 1922 For 1st time, entire World Series broadcast over radio (WJZ and WGY)

Today's Word:
consanguinity
Pronunciation: (kon-sang-gwin-i-tee)
Origin: 1350-1400; Middle English consanguinite (< Anglo-French) < Latin consanguinitās.
Meaning: noun
1. relationship by descent from a common ancestor; kinship (distinguished from affinity ).
2. close relationship or connection.

Today Is:
Improve Your Office Day
Ship In A Bottle Day
Taco Day
Vodka Day
World Animal Day

Quote of the Day:
"I look forward to being older, when what you look like becomes less and less an issue and what you are is the point.” ~ Susan Sarandon ~

Thanx so much for playing everyone.
Have a great day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 01:53 AM

21,577 posts, read 8,751,556 times

Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have?
One older brother (deceased).

Did you grow up/go to school with all of them?
Lived with my brother until I was 11 and he was 15; he then left to live 300 miles away with our mother and stepfather while I remained with our father, his new wife and her children. My brother and I went to the same elementary school briefly.

Or are you part of a blended family with halves and steps, who may have lived with another parent part of the time, and part of your life?
Yes, I was part of a stepfamily from age 11 until I left home at 18. My father married a woman who had two daughters and a son. The children were much younger than me, so we were never in the same school at the same time.

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases?
Yes. I am friendly with, but not particularly close to, my step siblings, who are the only surviving members of my immediate family.

Bonus Question(s):
I have a niece and a sister-in-law who live about 10 miles away.

How far does the farthest away relative live?
I have a nephew in Germany.

Thanks, PatsCats!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 10-04-2017 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: clarity and completeness, to fix an error, to add punctuation.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:00 AM

11,387 posts, read 9,306,180 times
Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have? Did you grow up/go to school with all of them? Or are you part of a blended family with halves and steps, who may have lived with another parent part of the time, and part of your life?
- One brother and we grew up in the same house.

As far as school - I'm 2.5 years older and only elementary school. We went to different high schools.

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases? - N/A because I am not that close to anyone. But 3 friends regularly keep in contact with me via phone, at least once every other week which is way more than any relative.

Bonus Question(s):
- About 150 miles

How far does the farthest away relative live? - About 1100 miles

Thanks, PatsCats.
Hope everyone has a good Wednesday!

Old 10-04-2017, 04:34 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,074,974 times

Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have?

Did you grow up/go to school with all of them?
Yes but 4 years age difference.

Or are you part of a blended family with halves and steps, who may have lived with another parent part of the time, and part of your life?
No

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases? Yes

Bonus Question(s):
796 miles per Google Maps

How far does the farthest away relative live? same

Old 10-04-2017, 05:34 AM

36,450 posts, read 16,055,816 times
Mornin' all!

Looking forward to seeing a long-lost relative in the next few weeks, so I’ve had it on my mind a lot this week. So…

Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have? 1 brother, younger.
Did you grow up/go to school with all of them? Yes but I was 3 yrs older
Or are you part of a blended family with halves and steps, who may have lived with another parent part of the time, and part of your life? Yes my best friend is my ex-sister in law, so all of her family is mine too.

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases? Great friends but not as close as family

Bonus Question(s):
How close do you live to your nearest relative? 100 yards

How far does the farthest away relative live? 2600 miles

I think that’s enough for today. Ok, have a good day and thanks.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:53 AM

126,311 posts, read 19,099,647 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have? 0 Did you grow up/go to school with all of them? Just cousins Or are you part of a blended family with halves and steps, who may have lived with another parent part of the time, and part of your life?

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases? I have 2 sets of friends that are part of my family in every way

Bonus Question(s):
How close do you live to your nearest relative? From my side my relatives live in Germany,Austria,Switzerland,Italy and Africa. I had a great uncle living in the States who passed away when 102 years old. My married in relatives live in British Columbia,Ontario and Quebec.

How far does the farthest away relative live? I have an uncle with family living in South Africa and family from my husbands side lives in the Punjab/India.

Today in History:
Anthropology: 2010 Scientists working near Kokoda, Papua New Guinea uncover world's oldest known high altitude human settlement, estimated to be 49,000 years old
Arts/Entertainment: 1931 Dick Tracy comic strip by Chester Gould debuts
Sports: 1922 For 1st time, entire World Series broadcast over radio (WJZ and WGY)

Today's Word:
consanguinity
Origin: 1350-1400; Middle English consanguinite (< Anglo-French) < Latin consanguinitās.
1. relationship by descent from a common ancestor; kinship (distinguished from affinity ).

Today Is:
Improve Your Office Day
Ship In A Bottle Day
Taco Day
Vodka Day
World Animal Day

Quote of the Day:
"I look forward to being older, when what you look like becomes less and less an issue and what you are is the point.” ~ Susan Sarandon ~

Have a great day!

Thank you PatsCats

Old 10-04-2017, 06:04 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,221,802 times
[quote=PatsCats;49717628]Mornin' all!

Today's theme is "family." Good luck with your reunion. I did that a couple of months ago with a cousin I had not seen in fifty years. I was looking forward to it after three or so years of email. When it happened she turned out to run a gamut from strange to flat out nutty. At the end of three days I was regrettably, supremely happy to see her leave.

Today's Question(s):

I had a sister who died before I was born, there were no more kids after me. But for the first eight years I guess it was (in the early 40's) I grew up in a neighborhood with lots of kids and everyone in and out of everyone else yards and lives. I don't remember in those first years having any sense of being an "only child," that came later.

At the present time almost of the blood relations I was close to are deceased, and the same with most of my friends. I had difficult parents and was miserable living alone with them from about eight years on. I had one aunt whom I loved deeply, and several friends in life who meant more to me than any blood kin. Having grown up alone I think that I have had a tendency to turn male friends into the siblings I always wanted.

Bonus Question(s):
How close do you live to your nearest relative? My mother (from whom I had been totally estranged for fifteen years and the aunt I spoke of) were still alive when I moved about 3,500 from them. I have some cousins with whom I am in occasional email contact, the closest is 3,500 miles away and the others about 6,000.

How far does the farthest away relative live? 6,000 miles, thanks be to whatever gods there may be.

I think that’s enough for today. Family reunions are easy when you are 79 and have no siblings or legitimate children.

Today in History:
Arts/Entertainment: 1931 Dick Tracy comic strip by Chester Gould debuts Some weird stuff in it.

Today's Word:
consanguinity

Which reminds me, I have a guy here in Europe with whom I share a grt-grt-grt grandfather, a terrific guy with a great personality and nice family. I'd prefer spending my time with him more than any of my American first cousins, with whom I seem to have ended up having very little in common with.

Today Is:
Improve Your Office Day
Ship In A Bottle Day
Taco Day
Vodka Day
World Animal Day

Quote of the Day:

Have a great day!

And yourself as well.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:27 AM

7,382 posts, read 5,496,398 times

Today's Question(s):
I have a sister a year younger than me. A brother six years younger than me. a brother 12 years younger than me. We all went to the same schools and grew up in the same house.

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases? Yes

Bonus Question(s):
How close do you live to your nearest relative? One block away from my mom.

How far does the farthest away relative live? California

Old 10-04-2017, 07:18 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,577,715 times
Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have? Did you grow up/go to school with all of them? Or are you part of a blended family with halves and steps, who may have lived with another parent part of the time, and part of your life? I have one older brother. Didn't see each other much in school because of my parents' planning. He was 4 years older so, as we got in high school and college, they wouldn't have to be paying for both of us at the same time

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases? Nope

Bonus Question(s):
How close do you live to your nearest relative? 2 blocks

How far does the farthest away relative live? Alaska

Old 10-04-2017, 07:36 AM

48,214 posts, read 22,037,561 times
Today's Question(s):
How many siblings do/did you have? I had an older brother and younger sister. My sister passed away some years ago.

Did you grow up/go to school with all of them? We grew up together; but my sister was 6 years younger than I am....so we really didnt go to school together.

Do you have friends that you consider to be as close as, or closer than family in some cases? Family is family and Friends are Friends....both special but different.

Bonus Question(s):
How close do you live to your nearest relative? From Florida to South Carolina

How far does the farthest away relative live? My "in-laws live in Japan; my farthest blood relatives are in Maine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics