Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

Thanks Mike, you raise great points. My sister told me the exact same thing as it relates to turning to the lord. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
In the 22 years I've been in the Information Technology industry, yes there were times when I guestioned my abilities, I was asked to take on projects, and there were times I felt nervous about some of them, but it's like anything else in life, when you get out of what's called "The Comfort Zone" and take on challenges in areas you've never ventured in before, you'll learn, and you'll gain abilties to tackle those challenges. People give me the credit, but I only give the Lord the credit for blessing me with the abilities to tackle such challenges.

If you start questioning your abilities, turn to the Lord, if your heart is rigtht with him, he'll be able to guide you, and believe me, I'm speaking from my own experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 11:02 AM

Thanks Johny. Best wishes to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnycakes View Post
I think it depends on your definition of "success". When I was in my 20's and 30's, I thought there was nothing I couldn't do if I just put my mind to it. Now I believe there are certain things I have a distinct advantage in doing - and there are things others have a distinct and significant advantage over me in doing. For example, I am not the most outgoing person in the world... selling myself or any thing to strangers is not my cup of tea. In many career tracks, this can be a big limitation - and it is a limiting factor in my own field, I might add. I have dealt with it by partnering with a guy who really is very outgoing, great conversationalist, and can generally tell the prospects what they want to hear. In other words, he promises them the moon, then I have to figure out a way to deliver it. But if I had to make those sales by myself, I would not be doing nearly as well as I am. Similarly, he'd find himself in big trouble, too, if he really had to find a way to deliver all the stuff he promises. Put us together, and there is a synergy there that works out for both of us.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Thanks for sharing. Have fun! Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
We control our own destiny, whether we want to be successful or not, we can make it happen with the effort and the desire. For some of us its going to take time, the right education the the willpower to keep going. Not everyone will become financially successful in life but many could be happy in other ways. I still aim to live out in the country, somewhere in S Dakota or Wisconsin, where growing my own food and running a few animals is my work, but can only do the best of my abilities to make that happen. To me, having a lot of money isnt my idea of success, though we need it these days just to live, and many have worked their way to the top, which is commendable, but my family and a simple country life is more realistic to happen.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:05 AM

Thanks, I'll take your advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
Go out and enjoy your birthday!!!!! See it as a fresh start for your life ahead. Never give up on your dreams. Ok, sometimes we hit a detour or fall flat on our faces but the dream is still there.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Mr.S, thanks for replying! Best wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Happy Birthday to you!!
Keep your head up.
There have been many news clips lately about job markets that boom during recessions and if I can find the list I will send them.
A good life is a choice and you have such a good outlook and a drive to it follow through.
Best of luck to you! Keep your head up!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
You'll do well Ron, with whatever endevors you decide to take, all you need is patience, perseverance, dedication, and strong focus on the goals you set. All of these traits require the strength the Lord gives us, and your sister knows what she's talking about. I'm sure she can tell you about what Jesus said in Mathew 6:33 - Seek first the kingdom of God, and all of his righteousness, then all else will be given to you.

By the way, Happy Birthday Ron.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
I am not sure how you came up with: as a rule self employment is not the cure for long stints of unemployment. That is far from what I was talking about. Not even close. Waaaaaaaaay off!!!

Thanks for replying to the best of your abilities.
And always remember to be grateful for what the Lord sends you

Old 03-27-2008, 06:28 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
And always remember to be grateful for what the Lord sends you
Ah yes, that's definitely a good advice too. Thank him for everything, even in the midst of trials and tribulations, because he will carry you through the storm. Also, learn to be generous in all aspects, to those who are not as fortunate as you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics