Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,195,682 times

Advertisements

Have you ever question yourself and you abilities at some point in your life?

I just turned 34 today(3/26) and I have been thinking whether or not I have what it takes to succeed in my career. Since I have graduated from college 8 years ago I have had mediocre success with jobs and it appears I really have not accomplished much in terms of career success.

I studied finance in college and I really enjoy finance and I really want to start my service business(all of which can be operated from home). But As I wake up on my 34th B-day and Unemployed due to a layoff back in August,2007 I wonder sometimes if I am ever going to be in a position to start my business.

I question myself because I have been out of work since August and the phone is not ringing to much as it relates to job interviews. I did land one job(tele-phone sales/$13.00 PLUS commiss./32 hours a week) that may start in April so I should be happy about that, but it's not my ideal situation. I don't want to blame the economy because companies are hiring and I am appying for jobs but I am not getting many interviews. My resume does look good and I have good experience. Also I have been applying for other jobs outside of finance like customer support positions so I am being open. If I could land something making $15.00 per hour that would give me enough to make ends meet while I get my biz started. The start up costs are about $3000 so I can make it on $15/per hour.

I am concerned because the longer it takes me to find the "ideal" situation the longer it will take to reach my level of success I think I can reach. This long set back has caused me to question myself and my abilities to succeed.

Has anyone ever felt the way i'm feeling?

If so what did you do to restore the confidence?

Any advice is certainly welcomed.

Thanks-

Last edited by Ron.; 03-26-2008 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 05:07 PM

845 posts, read 2,745,134 times
Happy Birthday!

I am sorry that you are in this situation but I feel the same way. I graduated a bit more recently but feel as if I am working in circles. I looked back at these last few years and realized I havent made much progress in my career. I would have never thought that 4 years after graduating I would be a temp answering phones and such. I have never been able to work at a job for more than a year and cant imagine myself doing so. In the past 4 years I have had over 6 jobs and lived in 3 different states.

This year I told myself that I need to work on me and plan out some clear cut goals to advance my career. I have been temping at a software company for a few months now and have been doing a good job and my boss recommended me for a job here. I just had my interview today so I hope things go well. I really want this job because it would be a real career booster and they have a generous benefit package for tuition reimbursement. Next year I am planning on applying to grad school and any extra money would help.

I understand how hard it is to be motivated and have a positive outlook when nothing seems to be going your way. If you have a good resume and good work experience then you have been successful. While you are trying to look for you "ideal" job maybe focus on some other aspect of your life you have more control over and excel at that.
Even though I wasnt where I was career-wise, 2 years ago I completed a marathon and that gave me confidence in other aspects of my life. But you should keep working toward your dream and your still young and have time to open your own business. My aunt went to medical school in her late 40's, single, with two kids. Now she is doing what she loves, has a new husband, and is very successful.

The only advise I can think of is stay focused on what you want, stay positive, and make a long term plan, put it in writing, and look at it everyday. Best of luck to you and enjoy the rest of your birthday!

Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,483,906 times
lots of people suffering out there ---worse with student loans.
i would find a place and stay in it.
job hopping is stressful voluntary or otherwise.
other option cross train in vocational.
i have been back 3 times to jr college in my life well worth the effort made.
as a rule self employment is not the cure for long stints of unemployment.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
lots of people suffering out there ---worse with student loans.
i would find a place and stay in it.
job hopping is stressful voluntary or otherwise.
other option cross train in vocational.
i have been back 3 times to jr college in my life well worth the effort made.
as a rule self employment is not the cure for long stints of unemployment.

I am not sure how you came up with: as a rule self employment is not the cure for long stints of unemployment. That is far from what I was talking about. Not even close. Waaaaaaaaay off!!!

Thanks for replying to the best of your abilities.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM

KSG, thanks. Great post. Best wishes to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgator View Post
Happy Birthday!

I am sorry that you are in this situation but I feel the same way. I graduated a bit more recently but feel as if I am working in circles. I looked back at these last few years and realized I havent made much progress in my career. I would have never thought that 4 years after graduating I would be a temp answering phones and such. I have never been able to work at a job for more than a year and cant imagine myself doing so. In the past 4 years I have had over 6 jobs and lived in 3 different states.

This year I told myself that I need to work on me and plan out some clear cut goals to advance my career. I have been temping at a software company for a few months now and have been doing a good job and my boss recommended me for a job here. I just had my interview today so I hope things go well. I really want this job because it would be a real career booster and they have a generous benefit package for tuition reimbursement. Next year I am planning on applying to grad school and any extra money would help.

I understand how hard it is to be motivated and have a positive outlook when nothing seems to be going your way. If you have a good resume and good work experience then you have been successful. While you are trying to look for you "ideal" job maybe focus on some other aspect of your life you have more control over and excel at that.
Even though I wasnt where I was career-wise, 2 years ago I completed a marathon and that gave me confidence in other aspects of my life. But you should keep working toward your dream and your still young and have time to open your own business. My aunt went to medical school in her late 40's, single, with two kids. Now she is doing what she loves, has a new husband, and is very successful.

The only advise I can think of is stay focused on what you want, stay positive, and make a long term plan, put it in writing, and look at it everyday. Best of luck to you and enjoy the rest of your birthday!

Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,882,889 times
In the 22 years I've been in the Information Technology industry, yes there were times when I guestioned my abilities, I was asked to take on projects, and there were times I felt nervous about some of them, but it's like anything else in life, when you get out of what's called "The Comfort Zone" and take on challenges in areas you've never ventured in before, you'll learn, and you'll gain abilties to tackle those challenges. People give me the credit, but I only give the Lord the credit for blessing me with the abilities to tackle such challenges.

If you start questioning your abilities, turn to the Lord, if your heart is rigtht with him, he'll be able to guide you, and believe me, I'm speaking from my own experience.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:14 AM

250 posts, read 937,731 times
I think it depends on your definition of "success". When I was in my 20's and 30's, I thought there was nothing I couldn't do if I just put my mind to it. Now I believe there are certain things I have a distinct advantage in doing - and there are things others have a distinct and significant advantage over me in doing. For example, I am not the most outgoing person in the world... selling myself or any thing to strangers is not my cup of tea. In many career tracks, this can be a big limitation - and it is a limiting factor in my own field, I might add. I have dealt with it by partnering with a guy who really is very outgoing, great conversationalist, and can generally tell the prospects what they want to hear. In other words, he promises them the moon, then I have to figure out a way to deliver it. But if I had to make those sales by myself, I would not be doing nearly as well as I am. Similarly, he'd find himself in big trouble, too, if he really had to find a way to deliver all the stuff he promises. Put us together, and there is a synergy there that works out for both of us.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:16 AM

27,365 posts, read 27,414,874 times
We control our own destiny, whether we want to be successful or not, we can make it happen with the effort and the desire. For some of us its going to take time, the right education the the willpower to keep going. Not everyone will become financially successful in life but many could be happy in other ways. I still aim to live out in the country, somewhere in S Dakota or Wisconsin, where growing my own food and running a few animals is my work, but can only do the best of my abilities to make that happen. To me, having a lot of money isnt my idea of success, though we need it these days just to live, and many have worked their way to the top, which is commendable, but my family and a simple country life is more realistic to happen.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,366,829 times
Go out and enjoy your birthday!!!!! See it as a fresh start for your life ahead. Never give up on your dreams. Ok, sometimes we hit a detour or fall flat on our faces but the dream is still there.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:36 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,264,893 times
Happy Birthday to you!!
Keep your head up.
There have been many news clips lately about job markets that boom during recessions and if I can find the list I will send them.
A good life is a choice and you have such a good outlook and a drive to it follow through.
Best of luck to you! Keep your head up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics