Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 07:59 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times

Advertisements

Hoping everyone is warm and comfortable wherever they are. Meanwhile let's take a look at . . .

Today's Question(s):
(If you've not lived in one or more of the following, you can tell us what you imagine living there might be like. )

-What are your likes about city/suburban living?

-Dislikes about city/suburban living?

-Likes about country/rural living?

-Dislikes about country/rural living?

Bonus:
Ever visited someone's house who kept it too cool or too warm for your taste and did you do/say anything about it?

Foodie/Beverage Question(s):

Country ____________

Cinnamon __________

Canned ____________

Just To:
Have you lived in a place where the telephone area code(s) changed?

If so, did you resist the idea or find it an inconvenience, like had to have cards reprinted, etc.?

Thought for Today:

The words LISTEN and SILENT have the same letters.

Happy Thursday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 08:21 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,291,726 times
Today's Question(s):
(If you've not lived in one or more of the following, you can tell us what you imagine living there might be like. )

- Great food stores, lots of competition and variety.

-Dislikes about city/suburban living? - The crime in this city is appalling, but I live in a good area.
Traffic is a nightmare...

I strongly dislike being approached for money. Not that it happens everyday but still...

Seeing homeless people is depressing.

-Likes about country/rural living? - Less traffic, cleaner air, better nature scenery.

-Dislikes about country/rural living? - Driving far for limited grocery stores. Likely poor job markets. Limited entertainment options.

Bonus:
Ever visited someone's house who kept it too cool or too warm for your taste and did you do/say anything about it?
- I've only been a guest in someone's home once in the last 5.5 years.
Before that, yes and yes. Too cold for winter.

Country biscuits

Cinnamon bagels

Canned beans

Just To:
- Nope

If so, did you resist the idea or find it an inconvenience, like had to have cards reprinted, etc.? N/A

Thanks, bjh!

Old 11-13-2019, 09:03 PM

21,551 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Today's Question(s):

I like city living because it's convenient to shopping, parks, restaurants, health care and cultural activities, and because when I was working, my commute was short. Suburbs have the advantage of offering more space and bigger yards plus easy parking.
-Dislikes about city/suburban living? ,
City living can be challenging because of high housing costs, traffic, noise, parking and crime. Suburban living can be boring because of the cookie-cutter houses and because you have to drive to go anywhere.
Fresh air, lots of space, more privacy, cheaper housing, friendly neighbors, fishing and hunting
Isolation, small-minded provincial attitudes and long drives to medical care and shopping, which may be inferior to what you can find in cities and suburbs. Also, it may not be easy to find competent tradespeople such as plumbers, contractors or repair people.
Bonus:
No, but when my 87-year-old aunt came for a visit, we had to turn the heat up because it was too cool for an elderly lady. We normally keep the thermostat set at 68º all year round.

Country Ham
Cinnamon Rolls
Canned Tomatoes

Just To:
No
If so, did you resist the idea or find it an inconvenience, like had to have cards reprinted, etc.?
N/A

Thought for Today:

Coincidence? I think not!

Thanks, bjh!

Old 11-13-2019, 09:39 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Today's Question(s):

-What are your likes about city/suburban living? Lot's of things to do. Close to shopping & doctors.

-Dislikes about city/suburban living? Too many people, traffic, smog.

-Likes about country/rural living? E-z going laid back, friendly people, fresh air.

-Dislikes about country/rural living? Too far from doctors & shopping.

Bonus:
Ever visited someone's house who kept it too cool or too warm for your taste and did you do/say anything about it? Too cool put on a jacket or sweater, too hot take off some clothes.

Country fried steak.

Cinnamon rolls, buns.

Canned SPAM.

Just To:
Have you lived in a place where the telephone area code(s) changed? Years ago yes.

If so, did you resist the idea or find it an inconvenience, like had to have cards reprinted, etc.? Didn't matter or effect me one way or another.

Woofie says nice job bjh

Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 PM

38,909 posts, read 22,906,011 times
Today's Question(s):

-What are your likes about city/suburban living? Lots to see and do, many options for dining and shopping, access to amenities and such things as healthcare services.

-Dislikes about city/suburban living? Traffic during rush hour can be a challenge, housing can be expensive, people can be rude and inconsiderate, especially on the roads.

-Likes about country/rural living? Lots of open land, cheaper housing, friendly people.

-Dislikes about country/rural living? Limited job opportunities and limited access to services such as healthcare.

Bonus:
Ever visited someone's house who kept it too cool or too warm for your taste and did you do/say anything about it? I went to one friend's house and I thought it was too stuffy and warm, but I didn't say anything.

Country breakfast

Cinnamon buns

Canned peaches

Just To:
Have you lived in a place where the telephone area code(s) changed? My current hometown/region has had the telephone area code change twice.

If so, did you resist the idea or find it an inconvenience, like had to have cards reprinted, etc.? Not really. It was just a matter of getting used to using the new area code when giving out the phone numbers.

Mid-November already. Happy Friday Eve!

Old 11-13-2019, 09:58 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
My only real small-town living experience was for about a month, in my college town. After my senior year, I decided to hang out until my lease expired in June, after the vast majority of the students (including both of my roommates) had left and the town was pretty much dead. It was a very strange, lonely, and depressing experience.

I've spent most of my life in large metro areas and probably would not relocate to a small town unless I had at least a couple friends there already (or I were moving there with them) and had a very definite plan about what I wanted to accomplish there that would take up a lot of time and mental energy (like writing a book).

Variety of places to go and activities. You can meet more different kinds of people just because of the variety of industries bringing people there and the large size to draw from. Easy to catch flights to wherever. You live somewhere that people have heard of and care about.

Rush-hour traffic is the main thing. Light rail alleviates this; buses generally do not (even if part of their route is on HOV lanes, those can still get slowed down, and part of their route will just be on regular streets). Whenever I can, I hang out in a cafe close to my office until 7 or 8 pm to let the traffic die down.

No drunk people shouting at 1 am and breaking bottles on the ground. That was the main thing. Even so, it's easy to find neighborhoods in urban areas where you don't have to deal with this.

Very depressing. The only real social outlets I had were FB and video calls with my friends back home. The sameness and lack of stimulation were also really getting to me. I do not enjoy being alone with my thoughts for extended periods of time.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:07 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Today's Question(s):

-What are your likes about city/suburban living? More things to do if you want to get out of the house

-Dislikes about city/suburban living? Houses are too close together in some areas

-Likes about country/rural living? Good to know your neighbors and have some neighbors where you all help each other out from time to time

-Dislikes about country/rural living? Not much. Maybe a nosy neighbor every now and then

Bonus:
Ever visited someone's house who kept it too cool or too warm for your taste and did you do/say anything about it? Was about to suffocate from the heat in my wife's cousin's house during the summer. Didn't say anything because it wasn't our house and I imagine they had it that way for a reason.

Country ham

Cinnamon toast

Canned biscuits

Just To:
Have you lived in a place where the telephone area code(s) changed? Yup

If so, did you resist the idea or find it an inconvenience, like had to have cards reprinted, etc.? Not only did we have our area code change but, when you dial a local number, even when I call my next door neighbor's land line, I have to dial the area code too. I've never had a card with my number on it.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:34 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Today's Question(s):

I would never lump suburbia with city living. Will only address city living and rural living. Also, leaving out anything to do with kids since I never had any so I don't know which is better for them.

-What are your likes about city/suburban living? More indoor choices of things to do in a large city. More mental stimulation available.

-Dislikes about city/suburban living?Too much traffic in the city (Number 1). Tourists. City taxes. Parking meters. Too expensive to live in the city or you settle for less space but pay through the nose for it anyway. Too much crowding in the city. Too much filth in the city. Too few trees in the city unless you like being herded into a park. Too many sick people breathing/coughing/sneezing on you in the city especially on public transportation. Too many homeless yelling things at you in the city. Too many streets smell like pee (DC) in the city. Too much parallel parking in the city. Too few people even look at you in the city. Too much deliberately overlooked crime in the city because the police have bigger fish to fry. Too much walking in the city so if you are carrying things, you have to shop more often and I don't like shopping. City people don't leave the city except for vacation and don't know much about people/places less than 50 miles away from the city line. People in cities expect activities to come to them. They don't travel out of the city for them so they are insulated except for things right around them and wherever they go on vacation when they do leave but what is that, 2-3 weeks a year?

-Likes about country/rural living? Less people. Less traffic. More trees, grass, birds, animals, wildflowers, mountains, lakes, ponds, outdoor activities/sports. No dressing up. More outdoor choices. People know more about neighboring towns than city people know about neighboring towns because rural people have to drive everywhere to get to places and things they need so they see/experience things for themselves.

-Dislikes about country/rural living? Good hospitals are further away especially if you need some kind of specialty treatment. I suppose if you like nightlife and indoor activities (museums, plays, indoor concerts, dining out), rural living isn't for you. This wouldn't impact me.

Bonus:
Don't remember so I guess it didn't bother me that much.

Country fried steak

Cinnamon buns.

Canned peaches

Just To:
It changed a few years after I moved.

If so, did you resist the idea or find it an inconvenience, like had to have cards reprinted, etc.? It didn't impact me except I had to change everyone's phone numbers that still lived there on forms, accounts, phone, etc.)

Old 11-14-2019, 12:54 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Good Morning, oh my it is freezing outside--19 degrees! yikes! Going to love my remote starter today!

Today's Question(s):

-What are your likes about city/suburban living? I did it for about six weeks (city). Loved being able to walk to places.

-Dislikes about city/suburban living? I don't feel as safe.

-Likes about country/rural living? Quiet

-Dislikes about country/rural living? No dislikes.

Bonus:
Yes--kept quiet about it.

Country ham

Cinnamon roll

Canned tomatoes

Just To:
yes, happened a long time ago
Couldn't resist the idea, it was going to happen anyway. It was a bit of a difficulty getting used to it.

Happy Thursday!

Old 11-14-2019, 01:37 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Hoping everyone is warm and comfortable wherever they are. Meanwhile let's take a look at . . .

Today's Question(s):

Everything is handy. It's where the action is.
It isn't nearly as peaceful as in the country.
Peaceful. No neighbors close enough to disturb you. Solitude.
Too far to get to any supplies and of course emergency services more limited or response time is longer.

Bonus:
Usually not a problem though.

Country __fried chicken__________

Cinnamon ___rolls_______

Canned _____tuna_______

Just To:

Accepted the inevitable.

Thought for Today:

Happy Thursday!
Thanks BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 11-14-2019 at 01:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics