Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 07:23 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,858,453 times

Advertisements

Welcome all you OT regulars! I believe I'm filling in for BJH, but I could just be lost and confused.

What type of birds do you see in your area that aren't seen often? Just one or two is fine?

How many years have you been adding to the atmosphere here on CD?

Why are we here?

I think BJH got caught with his hands in Alaskan Mutt's Stinky cheese stash. Told me he was tied to a snowmobile and dragged through town and then released with minor injuries. Mutt took him to DQ for a Dilly bar and all was cool. Really cool . Maybe it was a Blizzard.

Back to the Q's....

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance?

What song refers to the "Day the Music Died"? By Don Mclean.

What singer just passed that was well known for duets with Dolly Parton.

On this date:

1982 - Falklands Islands - Argentina invades Falklands Islands

1917 - U.S.A. - US Troops To World War I

1932 - U.S.A. - Lindbergh Pays Ransom

1979 - Russia - Anthrax Epidemic

1987 - U.S.A. - Speed Limit Increased to 65 MPH

Have you been staying home or are you going to parks and such for exercise?

Have you mowed your lawn or kept busy gardening lately?

All that cheap gas and no where to go. Are you frustrated?

That's about it on short notice. Well ...I got up late.

Two Cardinals sharing food.

Everyone stay safe and wear those masks. Have a great April considering the situation.

Last edited by SATX56; 04-01-2020 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM

11,375 posts, read 9,289,994 times
Welcome all you OT regulars! I believe I'm filling in for BJH, but I could just be lost and confused. - Thanks for your time!

What type of birds do you see in your area that aren't seen often? Just one or two is fine? - IDK

How many years have you been adding to the atmosphere here on CD? - Since January 2, 2012

Why are we here? - I assume you mean City-Data. I was on a good message board (Baltimore newspaper - online) for about 9 years. Found this shortly after that ended.

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance? - Toilet paper. I have not been able to find the brand I buy for several weeks. Had to settle for whatever I could get.

Spoiler
American Pie. Confusing song that was way overplayed. That part of the song had to do with the famous plane crash in 1959 that took the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper" J. P. Richardson

What singer just passed that was well known for duets with Dolly Parton. - IDK

On this date:

Have you been staying home or are you going to parks and such for exercise? - I need to get out more...

Have you mowed your lawn or kept busy gardening lately? - N/A

All that cheap gas and no where to go. Are you frustrated? - Thought about that today. But this needs to be done.

That's about it on short notice. Well ...I got up late. - Thanks!

Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
Welcome all you OT regulars! I believe I'm filling in for BJH, but I could just be lost and confused.

What type of birds do you see in your area that aren't seen often? Just one or two is fine?
I'm still seeing a few little humming birds along with those same old pigeons from time to time.

How many years have you been adding to the atmosphere here on CD? 14 years

Why are we here? nobody else will take me, so here I am. lol

I think BJH got caught with his hands in Alaskan Mutt's Stinky cheese stash. Told me he was tied to a snowmobile and dragged through town and then released with minor injuries. Mutt took him to DQ for a Dilly bar and all was cool. Really cool . Maybe it was a Blizzard.

Back to the Q's....

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance? We've got enough of our normal items of need to last for about four weeks. Normally we always have two or more weeks worth of food around other than milk & eggs.

What song refers to the "Day the Music Died"? By Don Mclean. That song same out because of the plane crash back in the 60's ? when Buddy Holly Ritchie Valen and the Big Bopper were killed. I think the crash was up in Wisconsin if I remember correctly on a cold winters day. I remember as a teen at the time the news story was all over the radio and they continually played their hit songs on the air.

What singer just passed that was well known for duets with Dolly Parton. Joe Diffie

On this date:

Have you been staying home or are you going to parks and such for exercise? Staying home as much as possible. It's been a couple of weeks now with only one or two appointments that we had to go out.

Have you mowed your lawn or kept busy gardening lately? Kept busy yesterday making cookies all morning.

All that cheap gas and no where to go. Are you frustrated? Yeah it's price is down but it's got no where to go but back up again. My cars are filled so I can't get more at this time. And you're right - there's no where to go.

We're staying home staying safe and keeping informed. Nothing else to do that could be any better! Thanks for filling in on the questions.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 04-01-2020 at 08:38 PM..

Old 04-01-2020, 08:23 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,433,940 times

The ones I recognize are all pretty common: blue jays, cardinals, doves, some with an orange chest, some that I refer to as “ringtones” but I don’t know what they’re actually called, an occasional woodpecker.

Nine.

Why are we here?

We registered.

Back to the Q's....

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance?

My staples like lentils and turmeric root are hard to find. Also corn tortillas for some reason.

American Pie and I think he’s referring to the plane crash that killed Richie Valens and Buddy Holly. I watched the movie La Bamba repeatedly growing up.

Kenny Rogers.

On this date:

Staying at home. My exercise routine has gone to crap. Trying to get back into it but haven’t been motivated to do hardly anything. I need normalcy.

I ordered some flower seeds and potting soil with my grocery curbside pick up and planted those today. I’ll see what happens.

I have fluctuating emotions.

Everyone stay safe and wear those masks. Have a great April considering the situation.[/quote]

Old 04-01-2020, 08:52 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

What type of birds do you see in your area that aren't seen often? Just one or two is fine? I got excited when I saw a sandhill crane once in my town in December 2010. Even had my camera (to photograph migrating gulls) with me so I was super excited. Even contacted Fish and Wildlife to ask what he/she might be doing here. Never saw another one here again. They are not uncommon birds but they are uncommon in my town.

How many years have you been adding to the atmosphere here on CD? Been on CD since 2006.

Why are we here? I don't know about "we."

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance? chocolate milk. Must be competing with a lot of stay-at-home kids.

What song refers to the "Day the Music Died"? By Don Mclean. American Pie

What singer just passed that was well known for duets with Dolly Parton. Kenny Rogers

Have you been staying home or are you going to parks and such for exercise? I go out on Mondays because on other days I'm expecting UPS or FedEx deliveries. But, it's to do stuff I have to do. This past Monday I renewed my car registration. Our County Clerk has a drive-thru right down the road from me. Tomorrow I'll take garbage to the complex dumpster. Have to get in my car to do that.

Have you mowed your lawn or kept busy gardening lately? The apartment complex landscapers were out there working today.

All that cheap gas and no where to go. Are you frustrated? Was thinking the same thing. Cheap gas and no place to go. The redbuds are in bloom, too.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:44 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Welcome all you OT regulars! I believe I'm filling in for BJH, but I could just be lost and confused. A sign of aging.

What type of birds do you see in your area that aren't seen often? Just one or two is fine? Albatross.

How many years have you been adding to the atmosphere here on CD? 13

Why are we here? Because we're lost?

Back to the Q's....

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance? TP and liquid soaps primarily, but most store shelves are still quite bare here with all regular food products, no matter what time of the day you shop.

What song refers to the "Day the Music Died"? By Don Mclean. American Pie/Richie Valens

What singer just passed that was well known for duets with Dolly Parton. Kenny Rogers, one of our favorites.

On this date:

Have you been staying home or are you going to parks and such for exercise? Home inside except for some store shopping and picking up some r/x's at the drug store.

Have you mowed your lawn or kept busy gardening lately? No lawn or garden anymore. Have been busy catching up on house chores, like shredding old papers, oiling door locks, replacing plumbing filters, pulling weeds, laundry, house cleaning, cleaning out the garage, etc etc.

All that cheap gas and no where to go. Are you frustrated? Yes. Both vehicle tanks are full and nowhere to go. Going to Target & grocery shopping (hopefully) tomorrow.

That's about it on short notice. Well ...I got up late. Me too.

Two Cardinals sharing food. Nice photo.

Everyone stay safe and wear those masks. Have a great April considering the situation. You too, good job.
These days I think we're going bananas.

Old 04-02-2020, 12:36 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,683,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

What type of birds do you see in your area that aren't seen often? Just one or two is fine? Not sure any I've seen anything particularly unusual.

How many years have you been adding to the atmosphere here on CD? Since 2008, I think.

Why are we here?

Back to the Q's....

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance? Flour and spaghetti pasta. And, of course, toilet-paper. Did see some bleach on the shelves again.

What song refers to the "Day the Music Died"? By Don Mclean. 'American Pie'.
But I never agreed that the music died.

What singer just passed that was well known for duets with Dolly Parton. Kenny Rogers?

Have you been staying home or are you going to parks and such for exercise? Home. But on sunny days I take walks. I also do run errands every few days.

Have you mowed your lawn or kept busy gardening lately? Mow, no. Garden, yes, some.

All that cheap gas and no where to go. Are you frustrated?YES! Just like the cheaper air fare rates now. Why go anywhere if I can't really do anything?

Everyone stay safe and wear those masks. Have a great April considering the situation.
No masks to be found around here. But I wear gloves everywhere.

Thanks, SATX56!

Old 04-02-2020, 01:02 AM

21,549 posts, read 8,731,914 times
Thank you for filling in!
I've seen (and heard) a woodpecker, a red-tailed hawk and an great horned owl.

I think I joined around 2014.
Why are we here?
I wish I knew. I think it's the culmination of many millions of years of evolution on a planet that had exactly the right conditions to sustain human and animal life. As far as we know, we're the only planet like that in the entire universe. So I think that just being here is kind of a miracle.
Some people have all the fun!

Back to the Q's....

Flour! I can't find regular all-purpose flour anywhere.
Spoiler
"American Pie." I find that song to be repetitive and annoying, and I always change the station when it comes on

Spoiler
Kenny Rogers

I went to the park once, but mostly I've been staying home.

I don't have a lawn or a garden, but there's some tidying up that I could be working on. It's just too cool and windy to spend much time working outdoors.

Not too much. I've always been a homebody.

Thanks, SATX!

Old 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM

30,541 posts, read 16,236,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post

that's ok..Just as long as you're lost and confused in your own home. No, wait. That might not be ok.

Baltimore oriole. They just pass through on their way from wherever to wherever. Pretty little things.

almost 10.

Why are we here?

we're not really.

Hope he washed his hands 1st. I had a blizzard once. Really yummy but I think I gained 5 lbs.

Back to the Q's....

toilet paper and cat food.

A very long boring over-played one.

Who's Dolly Parton?

On this date:

mostly home. Walk around the bock occasionally.

not yet. Still mud season here. Have been spreading mulch on nonrainy days.

not really. I still can drive around and admire the scenery. PA is a beautiful state.

Better late than never.

awww

Spread the love not the hate.

Old 04-02-2020, 05:05 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Good Morning

The ones that I do not see often around here and enjoy seeing them: cardinal and bluebird.

How many years have you been adding to the atmosphere here on CD? Six years

Why are we here?

We are hunkering down here with enough food to last a while. Waiting for the all clear. What staples have you found hard to get in the current circumstance? Chicken breast, sanitizer wipes and amazingly I could not find a can of stewed tomatoes in the store--needed them for a recipe *&^%

What song refers to the "Day the Music Died"? By Don Mclean. "American Pie"

What singer just passed that was well known for duets with Dolly Parton. Kenny Rogers-- dipping in the middle of the apocalypse - is the most “know when to fold them”

Have you been staying home or are you going to parks and such for exercise? There is a beautiful road here that runs along a river, river on one side and state park on the other side. I have been going there. If one continues the other way down the road, it runs along the railroad track on one side with the river on the other. Quite beautiful, quite quiet.

Have you mowed your lawn or kept busy gardening lately? Husband does the mowing and gardening.

All that cheap gas and no where to go. Are you frustrated? I still go to work a couple of days a week. So the cheap gas is appreciated. I am sad I can't get on a plane and go somewhere.

Feel like I am a character in the movie "Groundhog Day". This too shall pass... Hope you are having Spring like temperatures like we are...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics