Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 08:37 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,007,300 times

Advertisements

Greetings. Other than to post a few crappy questions now and then, you won't see much of me until about the end of August. I have to get a bunch of things done at home before I head off to a celebration being held in my honor. Will be lots of stinky cheese and cheap beer consumed.

Saturday's Questions:

Do you have a fireplace or wood stove where you live?

If so, do you use them?

Do you have any portable heaters or air conditioners to use where needed.in your home?

Ever written an article or story for a magazine?

Ever thought of writing your autobiography?

Items such as cucumbers, apples, and potatoes...do you peel them before eating?

Well, I guess that is all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 08:50 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,554,390 times
Saturday's Questions:

Do you have a fireplace or wood stove where you live? There's a fireplace

If so, do you use them? Sorry to say I don't. When my parents lived here my dad plugged up the flue to keep the heat from going out when the fireplace wasn't in use

Do you have any portable heaters or air conditioners to use where needed.in your home? We cool our house with 2 portable air conditioners. We have one in the den and one in my bedroom. Best thing we ever bought!

Ever written an article or story for a magazine? I wrote several for a newspaper in high school

Ever thought of writing your autobiography? Wouldn't want to bore everybody to death

Items such as cucumbers, apples, and potatoes...do you peel them before eating? Sometimes I peel potatoes before cooking, usually don't peel them if I'm frying them.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:58 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Fireplace in livingroom. It has become a collection place for whatever.

Central Air and Heat Pump. Electricity bill this month is $125.

I don't remember writing for a magazine but have been published in National Essay Book as a teen.

I have about a page written of my life growing up in the mountains of North Carolina. I even have a title for the book but got bored fast and thought about how it would be received. I don't think anyone wants to know how much better life is in an area they look down on than any other place in this country.

As to peeling the vegetables: Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:13 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Greetings. Other than to post a few crappy questions now and then, you won't see much of me until about the end of August. I have to get a bunch of things done at home before I head off to a celebration being held in my honor. Will be lots of stinky cheese and cheap beer consumed.
Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Saturday's Questions:

Nope
Do you have any portable heaters or air conditioners to use where needed.in your home?
Nothing portable.
No.
Sure
Cukes, have peeled them in the past, just wash them anymore.
Apples, no peeling.
Potatoes, usually peeled. Almost never have them anymore. Don't need the starch.

Thanks, Mutt. See you later for the Sunday Qs.

Old 07-28-2023, 09:17 PM

21,552 posts, read 8,733,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Congratulations, I hope your celebration will be lots of fun.

Saturday's Questions:

Yes, we have a fireplace.
If so, do you use them?
No, we haven't used it in years.
No, we don't.
Yes, when I was working in publicity for the TV station, I wrote some feature articles for the San Francisco Chronicle's Sunday supplement.
Yes, I've been told that I should do that.
Cucumbers, yes. Apples, no. Potatoes, sometimes (I love potato skins).

Thanks, Mr. Mutt!

Old 07-28-2023, 09:55 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,799,037 times
Ooooh that sounds like fun, whatcha being honored for? Bring the good cheese and expensive beer this time. You don't want to look unworthy or cheap. Don't bring the moose.

Saturday's Questions:

No, for emergencies I have lots of candles and a small portable propane heater that I haven't had to use for several years. Actually it's still unopened and unused. It's nice to have a heat source if the power goes out for a long time.

If so, do you use them?
I probably wouldn't even if I had a fireplace or stove. I'm allergic to gas heat so can't have that either.

The heater I mentioned and no portable a/c, I have to open the windows and turn fans on if the air goes out.

No but I did get written about, if that counts. It's a long story but basically I pointed out in a letter to the editor of the local idiot newspaper, about his sad little paper and the many errors in spelling and grammar I found. The jerk didn't mention my name, but he went on a rant about the letter I sent. He was so cruel and mean, and all I was doing was looking for a job as a proof reader.

I have. And, I did. Getting closer to making that call to a publisher.

Yes. Unless they are those 'new' potatoes, their red skin in very thin and edible. Those are the best potatoes there are, imo.

Thanks Mutt for the Q's and congratulations on being "honored".

Old 07-28-2023, 10:08 PM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Greetings. Other than to post a few crappy questions now and then, you won't see much of me until about the end of August. I have to get a bunch of things done at home before I head off to a celebration being held in my honor. Will be lots of stinky cheese and cheap beer consumed. Prost!

Saturday's Questions:

Do you have a fireplace or wood stove where you live? No. I'd love to have a fireplace. We had one in our home when I was growing up and I still miss it.

If so, do you use them? N/A

Do you have any portable heaters or air conditioners to use where needed.in your home? Not presently. I used to have a little ceramic space heater but it died. I never replaced it. I either walk around to warm up or put an Afghan on my lap if I get cold.

Ever written an article or story for a magazine? Only if the high school newspaper counts.

Ever thought of writing your autobiography? No. It would be boring!

Items such as cucumbers, apples, and potatoes...do you peel them before eating? Usually, no. However, in the wintertime when veggies in our local stores are shipped from lord-knows-where and have thick coats of wax on them to preserve them, I peel them. The wax is supposedly harmless, but I find it yucky and disgusting. Usually, I avoid buying cukes in the wintertime because of the wax coating.

Well, I guess that is all. Thanks for the questions, Mutt!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-28-2023, 11:48 PM

14,784 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Congratulations on your celebration! Enjoy!
Let the stinky cheese and cheap beer flow!

Saturday's Questions:

No...I use to have a wood burning fire place years ago and I loved it though.
If so, do you use them?
N/A...but since then I have developed adult onset asthma, so it would probably irritate
bother my breathing nowadays.

Yes upstairs and downstairs.
Although we have central air and heat....it's getting old and in extreme temps need
a little extra...plus the portable ones have a dehumidifier and that helps me breath better at times.

No.
No, That would bore everyone to death.
Not generally...but sometimes I do and sometimes I don't!

Thanks for the Questions Mr. Mutt!

Old 07-28-2023, 11:57 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Saturday's Questions:

Do you have a fireplace or wood stove where you live? Yes.

If so, do you use them? No, Used too but they're more of a smelly nuisance and bad on the sinuses.

Do you have any portable heaters or air conditioners to use where needed in your home? No.

Ever written an article or story for a magazine? Yes for Car Craft auto magazine which got published and paid for it too.

Ever thought of writing your autobiography? Have already, need to update it for family only use.

Items such as cucumbers, apples, and potatoes...do you peel them before eating? No, the skins are healthy for you.

Old 07-29-2023, 12:13 AM

6,876 posts, read 4,880,771 times
Pppppttoui! Cucumbers are nasty. I don't eat them. Sometimes I peel potatoes. Depends on how I am cooking them. I always peel apples.

I have a wood stove. It's an dark blue, enameled covered, cast iron Waterford from Ireland. Easily heats 2500 sq feet and could do more. When I've been snowed in and the electricity has gone out I have never been cold.

I have a portable ac. The kind on wheels. It's sort of a pain in the neck to set up. Fortunately I haven't needed it this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics