Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 11:55 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,963 times

Advertisements

Here's an interesting lil thing, but some might say boy this guy has really gone off the deep end lol, but that's ok too.

if you could go back or forward in time what time frame would you pick

if you could pluck someone from a past time frame, who would you snatch

now in the future we may verywell have the opportunity to do a little space travel, would you take the plunge or keep both feet planted here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2007, 12:07 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,539,160 times
I would go forward in time to when time travel is possible.
I would snatch my son from right before he signed the contract for ROTC
Space travel-just up to take a quick look, then back-unless you don't age when you're in space!! On second thought, might be fun to float around up there for a while...

Old 01-14-2007, 05:05 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
I have to admit, I do like topics like this.
"Back in time", let's see: from 1974 thru 1999
(if I could have a stretch of time that long)
I done some pretty stupid things during those years, including:
Being financially irresponsible, being way to desperate to meet a lady and be in relationship, marring the wrong woman in the early 70's and staying in So. California wayyyyyyy to long. I have a nice life now, a few aches/pains from getting older, but would have loved to have met my wife after I got out of the Navy in the mid 70's, married her and we would have been married all of these past years. I had a real, real rough time being single!

"Into the future": Golly, nowdays thinking about what the future "could be like", might be extremely scary. I mean, living in the "Present" can be scary enough let along doing a jump into the future. BUT, I'd only go if my wife, and her family, could be with me. If not, NOT WAY!!

"Plucking someone from the past": If it could only be one person, it would have to be my wife's son (and now my son), Chuck. He died of cancer at way to young of an age and, at times, my wife misses him so much. I never got to meet the boy, but from what my wife tells me about him.......he was one wonderful kid. I could just see all three of us on our boat, out on a lake fishing together. I could just see him and I in a rodeo arena together team roping with my wife cheering us on. I'd better stop before I start really crying.

As far as Space Travel goes, again, only if my wife and her family could be with me.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:36 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,493,056 times
I would be too afraid to go back in time. I would be afraid that I would
s c r e w something up, that would enable my children to be born. For example, what if I didn't meet my husband? So as much as I would like to relive my highschool days with what I know now, I would do that as it might jeopardize what I have now (you can tell I took this question seriously, can't you!!).

The same to be said in the future-I wouldn't do that either. What if I jumped into the future, and one of my sons aren't there because they had died for some reason...then I would have missed part of the remainder of their lives...so I couldn't do this either!

As for snatching, well, if I wasn't married I know who I would snatch, but being as I am....I would ask my husband who he would want. He has had a lot of people on his side die recently, and I would allow him to pick somebody.

Man, I think I take the fun out of things

Old 01-14-2007, 06:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
I would go back 2 years and put my house on the market then instead of May of '06.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,227,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee View Post
Here's an interesting lil thing, but some might say boy this guy has really gone off the deep end lol, but that's ok too.

if you could go back or forward in time what time frame would you pick

if you could pluck someone from a past time frame, who would you snatch

now in the future we may verywell have the opportunity to do a little space travel, would you take the plunge or keep both feet planted here.
I would definitely choose the 1950s.

I would grab my mom and dad at least for a while because I'm know they're happier in Heaven.

I would definitely keep both feet planted as space travel doesn't interest me.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,644,210 times
I would go back to the pioneer days in US, so I could be part of something important in our history, i.e. building this country. Don't mind hard work, and don't like all the gadgets we have today. Have always wanted to learn to sew, knit, make quilts, haul water (just kidding!), etc. Also would be less population, noise, congestion, pollution, crime, etc. etc. Not an easy life for sure, but would probably be more fulfilling than any present day occupation. Alot of free land, if one willing to work it. More opportunity for having something of your own, especially more freedom than what we have now, less taxes? I would give it a try anyway.

Would like to bring my grandmother back, did not appreciate her when she was here, she died when I was an ungrateful teenager. Could have learned alot from her if I had been wiser.

Also NO interest in future travel. Too scary to see what is going to happen to this country in a few years.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:12 PM

215 posts, read 312,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I would be too afraid to go back in time. I would be afraid that I would
s c r e w something up, that would enable my children to be born. For example, what if I didn't meet my husband? So as much as I would like to relive my highschool days with what I know now, I would do that as it might jeopardize what I have now (you can tell I took this question seriously, can't you!!).

The same to be said in the future-I wouldn't do that either. What if I jumped into the future, and one of my sons aren't there because they had died for some reason...then I would have missed part of the remainder of their lives...so I couldn't do this either!

As for snatching, well, if I wasn't married I know who I would snatch, but being as I am....I would ask my husband who he would want. He has had a lot of people on his side die recently, and I would allow him to pick somebody.

Man, I think I take the fun out of things
I have to disagree with you...I was ready to be whimsical with a question such as this one, but I see what you're saying that the importance of the here and now would be jeopardized and whatever plans there are for us would be compromised..(now who's taking the fun out!!) Anyway, I like your thoughtfulness..

Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,963 times
well i think the first thing i would do would be go forward into time so that i could aquire a so called time machine that would enable me to transport myself anywere in time that i may choose at any given time, but then time would become irrelavant wouldn't it.

then with having this time travel at my disposal just think of the possabilities, go back into biblical times perhaps, how about visiting some of the great greek philosophers, mayby pop in on einstein, the greats that had wisdom beyond all.

be able to meet all the great musicians in time, possibly even find elvis somewere out there too.

just think of the money one could make in the stock markets. illegal naaaaaaaa, call it dollar cost averaging.

go into the future find cures for diseases.

we'll leave the loved ones out of the scenerio since that does tug a lil too much on the ol emotional strings, and as far as screwing things up well what the heck we can fix all that with the good ol time machine.

space travel, you bet your boots i would give it a shot, captain kirk move over lol.

after all isn't space travel basically just a time continuum after a certain point.

first stop to the moon for moon pies, then onto mars for mars bars , swing by saturn & mercury for a few cars.

oh well back to reality, but it's nice to dream since without dreams the mind has nowere to escape to.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:23 AM

215 posts, read 312,291 times
joe..you came up with the perfect solution..a "just visiting" approach..

Just as those adventurers jumped on ships to head to the New World 'way back when, I would also would want to head out to the planets just as you mentioned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics