Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times

Advertisements

Florida should join other states in battling dangers of global warming....REad the whole article, evaluations by local Florida experts....

Scientists say 2006 continued the trend of the warmest years on record, with greatly above normal temperatures reported worldwide and polar ice caps melting at an accelerated rate.

Scientists have already said the monster hurricanes of 2004-05 that struck Florida and the Gulf Coast were fueled in part by higher sea-surface temperatures triggered by global warming.

But there are other signs of global warming in the Space Coast's backyard, too.

For centuries, tropical mangroves grew no further north than Brevard and Volusia counties, because it was too cold in the winter. Now, the plants are sprouting 200 miles further north, in St. Johns County near Jacksonville.

"If we're looking at the rate of (climate) change, there's no parallel to it in the past at all," says Mark Bush, a biology professor at Florida Tech in Melbourne. "Spiking temperatures would be one. The ice caps retreating. Everything is responding."

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dl...701160317/1004
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,448,326 times
What I've been living through the past few days convinces me that global warming doesn't exist.

Old 01-16-2007, 04:52 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
Florida need not worry. If global warming is, in fact, a reality, the state will be under water soon enough and won't have to worry about it....

Old 01-16-2007, 09:00 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,087,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
What I've been living through the past few days convinces me that global warming doesn't exist.

That cold was just a fluke. It has retreated to north Canada now and the northern states are in the 20s and 30s. It can get cold in your state if a cold front comes from Canada but usually its mild, sometimes even above freezing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Florida need not worry. If global warming is, in fact, a reality, the state will be under water soon enough and won't have to worry about it....

Not anytime soon. Sea levels are predicted to rise one meter in the next 50 years. This will flood coastal regions and oceanfront property but anyone inland need not worry. All the ice in the world would need to melt to completely submerge Florida.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:01 AM

850 posts, read 3,159,019 times
I wonder how long that would take?

Seriously, I understand the global warming issue, and I know there are things which must take place to protect the planet - but I have to wonder if these events we experience are not just an earth cycle.

There was an ice age, and then it warmed up, continents moved and changed - but there was no mass media around then to get everyone all upset about it.

So, I cannot help but wonder if we are in a natural progression which takes place every so many thousands of years, or if it is based ENTIRELY on the audacity of humans to interupt the natural ebb and flow.

'Not with any certainty' - a line from one of my favorite movies, but it does seem to be the truth among scientists. Medicine is a science, and they call it 'practicing' because things keep changing. Scientists can only base there projections on theory, facts from the past, readings they get from sophisticated equipment - but they still cannot say with 'any certainty' what will actually happen.

Just a thought.

Kimmiey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics