Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:32 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times

Advertisements

I was wondering everyone's opinions on what age limits should be for certain things (i.e. smoking, driving, drinking, etc.) I'm curious because I disagree with a lot of the laws regarding those things...I once went to get a third hole pierced in my ear (my first my mom got me at age 7 and my second, a friend did in the locker room at school...mom punished me)...but I was told that if I was under 18, I had to have a parent with me. Meanwhile, I was 17 and drove myself to the mall to have it done. So, I was old enough to drive a car and potentially run down some innocent people, killing or maiming them, including myself, but I wasn't old enough to pierce a third hole in my ear.....go figure.

Same with smoking...you must be older to smoke and slowly kill yourself but if you're younger, hey, here's some keys, go cruising, weaving and playing chicken on the road!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
smoking, shouldnt be allowed at all, but 21 atleast, Driving 18 is ok if they take classes, drinking, 21 is fine(but some ignore this)

Old 09-26-2006, 08:37 AM

504 posts, read 1,763,979 times
Drivers liscence, 16 with a high school diploma, or up to 18 with a high school diploma after eighteen anyone.
Tatoos are permanent 21 and brochures giving out and signed stating the costs of removing and letting people know they fade.No one under 21.
Piercings are not always permanent so 18,sorry parents rule when you live at home.
Voting at 18.
Drinking is a tough one, I like 21 but feel if someone is in the military and willing to give thier lives they should be entitled to do anything that a 21 year old should do.
Getting married at least 30 with parental consent.
Having babies over 30, with a degree in child care.
Smoking is a hard one no one is mature enough to start and that includes me, ex smoker of 35 years, and probably spent over 50,000 in that time. Now it costs so much more, the law says 18 and I agree, another parents rule if you live at home.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:55 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
This is a bit hard. On the one hand, people have the right to do as they please. On the other hand, good laws should be in place to protect people and control outright anarchy that is a good balance. Below is my personal feelings on it.

Sex - never before marriage.
Driving - at 21.
Drinking - never, it should be outlawed.
Smoking - same as above.
Drugs - same as above.
Tattoos - never.
Piercings - never.
Enter the work force - 21

Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
This is a bit hard. On the one hand, people have the right to do as they please. On the other hand, good laws should be in place to protect people and control outright anarchy that is a good balance. Below is my personal feelings on it.

Sex - never before marriage.
Driving - at 21.
Drinking - never, it should be outlawed.
Smoking - same as above.
Drugs - same as above.
Tattoos - never.
Piercings - never.
Enter the work force - 21

I agree with all except the workforce. You cant stop those under 21 from having a job to earn a living! Sorry, but thats not right. I know hundreds of people who had their first job at 16-18, my sister included. Driving at 21? Thats a bit restrictive, but I guess if we have public transportation and buses to take anyone under 21 to school and work. I say raise the driving age to 18, not 21. Drinking was illegal in the 1920s and most people say itll never be outlawed again. Drugs are already illegal. Tattoos and Piercings will never be illegal. Tons of teen women pierce their ears. I am all for abstinence, great idea!

"Getting married at least 30 with parental consent.
Having babies over 30, with a degree in child care."

Wont happen. Most people wont ever marry if they needed their parents approval and waited till 30 to do so. They will just live together and start a family without marrying, in fact I know some people who do just that because marriages nowdays dont last.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:40 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Drivers liscence, 16 with a high school diploma, or up to 18 with a high school diploma after eighteen anyone.
Tatoos are permanent 21 and brochures giving out and signed stating the costs of removing and letting people know they fade.No one under 21.
Piercings are not always permanent so 18,sorry parents rule when you live at home.
Voting at 18.
Drinking is a tough one, I like 21 but feel if someone is in the military and willing to give thier lives they should be entitled to do anything that a 21 year old should do.
Getting married at least 30 with parental consent.
Having babies over 30, with a degree in child care.
Smoking is a hard one no one is mature enough to start and that includes me, ex smoker of 35 years, and probably spent over 50,000 in that time. Now it costs so much more, the law says 18 and I agree, another parents rule if you live at home.
This is great, I agree with everything you said.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:02 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,333,474 times
Well, I definitely think 18 is too young to go to war, but if the government thinks you're old enough to serve your country at 18 and old enough to vote for who runs your country--then I think you should be considered an adult with everything.
With the amount of traffic now on the roads, I do often wonder if 16 isn't too young. I guess that has to be a parent's call.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:17 AM

622 posts, read 2,708,782 times
I think these suggestions are all crazy! (except pixie and grammy)

smoking not allowed at all? drinking not allowed at all? it should be our own right to choose if we do these things, drugs included. the war on drugs is an infringement on our rights!

getting married at least 30? what does that mean for all the young moms and dads out there, when their government tells them they cant get married? sex shouldnt be allowed until you are married- at 30!!??? what if you dont believe in god? what if you dont believe sex before marriage is a sin, like me? then doesnt that infringe upon my right to choose my own religion and morals? (bill of rights amendment #1)

enter the work force at 21? how would my family have survived, then, when i was younger and had to help my mom pay the bills!?

are we not adult enough to decide to get a tattoo until 21? please!!!

just because you believe something, doesnt mean you can force your beliefs on others. i can think of a few governments that behaved this way, and they werent good ones.

are you all advocating a totalitarian government here? i dont know about you, but i dont look up to the founding fathers of this nation because they insisted on restricting our rights. i look up to them because they had the foresight to PROTECT our individual rights! that is what democracy is all about. i doubt you'd get voter support for any of these suggestions, thank god.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:24 AM

502 posts, read 2,295,389 times
Many woman are having problems having babies after 30 so maybe take it down to 25.

Old 09-26-2006, 11:25 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariatherese View Post
I think these suggestions are all crazy! (except pixie and grammy)

smoking not allowed at all? drinking not allowed at all? it should be our own right to choose if we do these things, drugs included. the war on drugs is an infringement on our rights!

getting married at least 30? what does that mean for all the young moms and dads out there, when their government tells them they cant get married? sex shouldnt be allowed until you are married- at 30!!??? what if you dont believe in god? what if you dont believe sex before marriage is a sin, like me? then doesnt that infringe upon my right to choose my own religion and morals?

enter the work force at 21? how would my family have survived, then, when i was younger and had to help my mom pay the bills!?

are we not adult enough to decide to get a tattoo until 21? please!!!

just because you believe something, doesnt mean you can force your beliefs on others. i can think of a few governments that behaved this way, and they werent good ones.

are you all advocating a totalitarian government here? i dont know about you, but i dont look up to the founding fathers of this nation because they insisted on restricting our rights. i look up to them because they had the foresight to PROTECT our individual rights! that is what democracy is all about. i doubt you'd get voter support for any of these suggestions, thank god.

I used to smoke and while I think it is stupid and people shouldnt do it, like I said above atleast 21 before they make that decision. Drugs, I do think should be legal for over 21 it is their bodies to mess up, tattoos, it's your body, I got mine at 16 so whenever they want, marriage thats a persons right to do but at least 18, same with having kids, I had one 16 ,too young. Work force atleast 15-16, people need money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics