Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:15 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,255 times

Advertisements

My husband and have made some adjustments to how we live in an effort to watch our spending. Like everyone else, we are feeling the pinch of the downturn in the economy. What are you and your family doing to make your dollar stretch farther right now??? I'd love to hear some new ideas!

My family's ideas:
1.We consolidate our errands and try to do them all at once, when
possible, to save a little gas.
2. We cut out a lot of junk food from our grocery list. We didn't need it
anyway.
3. We rent movies at Blockbuster instead of going to the theater for new
releases.
4. We decided to delay buying another house till we see if the real estate
market is going to stumble any more.
5. Our outside activities are things that are free or at least inexpensive.
Such as......We ride our bikes more for the exercise and take walks on
the greenway. We go to festivals that are close by, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Youre not aiding the problem by doing such things. I mean, youre aiding yourself, but not the economy.

We're handling the slight downturn by spending more money. We're not overspending, but we dont sit home and mope around. We go out for ice cream, to the theater, buy plants, online shopping, etc.

Contribute to the economy if you want to see a change. Dont forget, every dollar you spend helps out someone else's place of employment.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 PM

24,452 posts, read 25,987,852 times
Ok, I'm kinda with Steve-o on this. I've been stimulating the economy this year. New HVAC, new roof, new e-windows and last week a new car. But, we to are not overspending on frivolus stuff like clothes, jewelery, junk food and other misc stuff.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:22 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Lightbulb keep your eye on the issues

Mrs. AksarbeN and I have been reducing our trips each week and combining errands and shopping in an effort to make the best use of the trips. However it’s hard to keep up with so many things that are happening at all the time. Just when you think things are covered there’s an unexpected surprise.

The most important thing we both have been staying informed about the presidential craniates and parties. For political reasons our economy and so many issues that have occurred over the past administration have caused problems within our nation and have affected so many friends and family members due to the actions or lack of actions by those political figures running the country. It is no longer a personality celebrity option of the political candidates but what he will do with the “issues”! This nation is in trouble and the issues are important ~ not their personal celebrity status and how they look on stage. We need leadership and honesty on issues not mud slinging talk! Your vote in November will be the biggest help with your personal economic needs.

I just found out the other day that our health insurance will be dropped and no longer being provided, this means that I have to go and find something else to cover our needs. The costs are amazing when I check into different companies. This will be a big issue for me when I vote in the weeks to come. The nation has had some people in office for too many years with little or no help on the health issues for Americans. Veterans have been ignored, elderly have been ignored, children have been ignored, single working Moms have been ignored, and it’s time that a real change takes place with people who have NOT been in Washington for years and who are just now talking about things they have never bothered with for decades. Issues ~ not just talk this time. Voice your choice ~ you’ll have to live with it!

http://www.reuters.com/article/vcCan...080909?sp=true

Factcheck link can point out health care issues:

Last edited by AksarbeN; 09-10-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 09-10-2008, 01:44 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
We have cut back in some areas, not in others. I drive all over for my business so I can do errands pretty much anytime.

We aren't eating at restaurants as much. Partly because of cost and partly because of portions. Why do restaurants insist on giving me enough food for three people? Cut the portion in half and charge me half as much. You'll end up ahead because I'll show up more often. You're losing money on me with the way it stands and it's not likely to change. Sharing meals doesn't work for us, my wife loves fish and I can't stand the taste. I have also noticed the price of alcohol has gone nuts. When we do go out I drink water. I say no thanks to $2.00 beers that cost $5.00.

We dumped our local cable movie channels and are using Netflix. Costs less and we are watching more movies. Very nice. We are also considering dropping the rest of cable and going with Qwest and Dish for all cable/TV. We are just plain tired of the constant price hikes.

In other areas we replaced our $5,000.00 roof this year, bought a $5,000.00 sewing machine for my wife (anticipating retirement), spent $2,000.00 in the back yard, and are taking a trip to Tennessee in October where we will spend about $1,500.00 between surveying and getting our lot cleared. That doesn't count the cost of the trip. We might be going to Vegas in December.

So, yes we are boosting the economy. We're just not doing it in restaurants or shopping malls.

As for the elections and the parties running for office. I don't believe a word any of them say. As soon as they get in office they'll do what ever they want, after all they're in office. Your vote no longer counts, and from the previous 8 years it is obvious that the memory span for voters is woefully inadequate.

About the only thing I've made note of, and that's because it's evidence, not blah, blah, blah, is the voting record of McCain. Over 90% with Bush. That scares the bejeezus out of me.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:50 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
I'll agree with Steve-o to a point. My paycheck is the same but my expenses have gone up.
We've given up a few things but are far from pouting in the house.

We too rent instead of going to the movies. We'll buy store brands on some items.
No more impulse buying....both of us now stop and really think about if we "need" it or just "want" it.
We cancelled our Talladega Race tickets because now it would cost $250.00 just to get there and back. We will use that $$ plus the cost of tickets on something else.
We still enjoy taking long motorcycle rides with our friends to different areas of our State. We still eat out when we want too.

We've been amazed at just how much $$ we wasted. It goes into savings now for a rainy day.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:00 PM

2,769 posts, read 7,233,665 times
I'm not doing anything different.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:20 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre not aiding the problem by doing such things. I mean, youre aiding yourself, but not the economy.

We're handling the slight downturn by spending more money. We're not overspending, but we dont sit home and mope around. We go out for ice cream, to the theater, buy plants, online shopping, etc.

Contribute to the economy if you want to see a change. Dont forget, every dollar you spend helps out someone else's place of employment.
The "economic downturn", or as I refer to it "The Economic Correction", has not affected me too much. I've only reduced gasoline consumption. Energy-related items, like use of electricity at the house has never been a problem for me. I live by myself, and I have a very energy-efficient house, with a heat pump for both A/C and heating. I can keep the thermostat set between 80 and 82, and the house is very comfortable.

My strategy is the more we reduce energy usage, the less money we put in the pockets of oil company execs and Aye-Rabs (OPEC oil shieks) who are spending billions on luxury items, like the Airbus A380 the Saudi king or prince bought and plans to customize to make it his own flying castle.

Like you Steve, I do my part to keep the U.S. economy healthy by keeping my purchasing balanced, and I never pay with credit cards.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:25 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Like you Steve, I do my part to keep the U.S. economy healthy by keeping my purchasing balanced, and I never pay with credit cards.
Absolutely! Couldnt agree more.

Hit the oil turds where it hurts, right in the pocketbook! Ive been watching my speeds lately, and have noticed an incredible gain of around 75-100 miles a tank by doing so. I refuse to even buy cigs from the gas stations anymore. All of my friends have done the same.

But at the same time we also have been going out to eat more often, buying more stuff, and spending $ where it counts. We have also been avoiding (as much as we can) stuff made in China.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:21 AM

641 posts, read 2,370,277 times
How can I save money when I don't have any to save?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics