Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:07 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

Alice dropped the 5 & dime name in another thread and it brings back memories and good times for me. Ok,,, so what was it that you enjoyed so much at the 5 & dime? Why did you go there?

I remember having a small (very small allowance each week) and I could ride the bus for a dime that would take me into town from out in the suburbs. I then could have lunch at the 5 & Dime Woolworth Store’s lunch counter for under 50 cents, and still had money for buying a small toy, comic or save it for several weeks and getting something special. More often then not I would save it and earn extra money doing chores in the neighborhood, then I’d have enough money for some real neat stuff. And now I wonder where did all my neat stuff go?

Please bring back the smaller stores and lets get away from the big Walmart Super Centers,,,,, I just want the fun days back where the clerks knew you and lived in your neighborhood without all the automatic price readers and checkout stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 11:39 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Growing up we had a 5 & dime that still had their original soda fountain from way back. I could pick a lug of Strawberries in the morning and earn $2, ride my bike the 5 miles into town and stop by for a float (Brown Cow), a bottle of Pepsi for the ride home and a small bag of chips. Then I would stop by the sporting goods store next door and buy a box of .22 LR shells to go shooting in the afternoon (wasn't supposed to sell to me, but the owner would put Dad's name down as the buyer and away I would go). Did this every single day all summer long, the only thing that would change was where I stopped and what I picked in the mornings.

I miss the old 5 & dime. They made the best floats in the world back then. We have the modern incantation of the 5 & dime downtown still, but it isn't the same. They do have the wooden coins for the kids that are worth 25 cents now instead of the nickle, and the owner remembers sneaking into the original 5 & dime for a float once in a while (her dad owned the competition in town, but didn't have a soda fountain .) The kids can still buy penny candy, and small toys. Or save up for some bigger toys or CD's. Plus there is something for adults as well. Plus they are the only pharmacy left in town. The owner as well as all the clerks know everybody in town and if a kid forgets his cash at home, a simple call to OK will send the kid home with what they wanted and the parents will stop in next time through town to pay for it. It is nice having clerks ask about your parents, even though they haven't lived in town for almost 30 years now, and knowing it isn't just being nice, they really want to know how they are doing and send along a "Hi".

Old 11-12-2008, 11:54 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,514,656 times
I am originally from, Branson Mo.
I have such wonderful memories of ...Dick's 5 & Dime.
And Also, of a little Drug store named, "Anderson's Drug Store."
It had a soda fountain. You could buy a ..Double Dip Ice cream for a nickle.
Okie
p.s.
Oh! And Richard's Snack Shop. Great Memories!

Okie

Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,744,493 times
I worked at a 5&Dime called Kresge's when I was a teenager. We had an incredible boss who let us play our music and actually have fun at our jobs. I do remember the snack bar. Great memories.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:11 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
When I was a youngster, the nearest five and dime was about 5 miles away. It was always a treat to go there on shopping days and I remember the wood floors smelled so good. And oh the goodies a boy/girl could get for a nickel.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
We didn't have any where I grew up but when we went to West Virginia to visit family they had one and I just remember the wood floors and all the good stuff they had for kids. They always seemed to have candy that I didn't have back in Maryland. Oh the penny candy lipsticks and wax lips.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,237,341 times
A Cherry Coke.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
The counter and booths at Woolworth's lunch counter. They made some of the best sandwiches. We had Woolworth's, Kresge's and J.J. Newberry's in Scranton. I forget which one had it but one had the main floor and a basement (Lower Level) to it while the other 2 were only 1 floor each.

Last edited by East Coast Wanderer; 11-12-2008 at 04:03 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
You want to know what I miss about the five and dimes? Those wonderful creaky wooden floors and the smell of something. I guess it was the blend of candies, lunch counters, perfumes or what have you. But they sure were comforting. The tin ceilings were a marvel too!

Old 11-12-2008, 10:03 PM

1,252 posts, read 2,645,977 times
Christmas and Halloween at the five and ten was a lot of fun and are my best memories. Wax candy, comics, gleaming garland, grilled cheese at the lunch counter. The scent of perfumed candles always seem to hang in the air. In the quiet basement, the squeaking floors from above somehow seemed to beckon me to further explore the upper level again and I could never resist the impulse.
Best of all was a friendly smile from a sweet cashier who's face told it all...that she was happy to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics