Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 03:15 PM

18,132 posts, read 11,774,358 times

Advertisements

Let's discuss Handicapped Parking Abuse here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 04:04 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,654,514 times
It's bad.

[/thread]

Old 01-01-2009, 04:45 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,369,197 times
Default ~ Handicapped Parking Abuse ~

I see it all the time, people who have the plate but it's probably because of a family member, they take a space and there is nothing wrong with them, I think it shows a very self centered person to do such a thing.
I was in a wheelchair for a year and had a hanicapped plate but very seldoom used it.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,654,514 times
In all seriousness though, looks can be misleading. I have a friend who has Multiple Sclerosis and when she's on a good day she looks like a perfectly ordinary, able-bodied person. If the MS attacks though then she can go from being able to function normally to hardly being able to walk in an instant. As a result, she has to park in handicapped bays even on good days (she does have a sticker so it's all authorised) but if someone saw her then they might think that she isn't disabled. You do have to be careful about jumping to conclusions about people simply based on their outward appearance.

If someone is genuinely able-bodied and is just parking in the handicapped bay because they're too lazy and/or arrogant to think they have to walk an additional 50 yards like everyone else, however, then they should have the book thrown at them. In my opinion, a hefty fine and a temporary driving ban should be imposed unless they have a hell of a good excuse.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,340,897 times
I think the MVD give those decals to anyone who asks. I see people with decals hanging from their mirror then they get out of the car and sprint into the store with a "gottcha suker" grin. I wonder why they have these decals, but just as quick I remind myself it is non of by business. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 PM

4,348 posts, read 3,564,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
It's bad.

[/thread]

You know, I could not possibly have said it better myself. Actually, there's so much ignorance out there, especially people selfish enough to "jockey for position" by parking as close as possible to a building, whether they stay a few minutes or a few hours. That's the biggest problem of all, in my book. Ignorance. It's too rampant.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:51 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,424,673 times
I live in a small town of 2000 people and for the first time somebody got fined for parking in a spot! Got a nice $400 fine too. I was shocked to see it happen in such a town. People getting punished that is, not doing the deed.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,753,206 times
We have a tendency to park "out" for the exercise. Keeps the door dings down, too. This will change at some point. My Polio (pretty much 100% recovery at age 4) will get even with me as I get older. So my gauge will be how far away I can comfortably park and then, finally, get a sticker.

A fair punishment for someone using these spots, in addition to an obnoxiously high fine, would be a broken leg or two. Give them a taste of why they shouldn't do that..

Old 01-03-2009, 02:46 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,683,773 times
I had an interesting situation at RT66 Dragway. My wife had gone to the track with my son. He was working the event and could park inside the pit area. She was riding around on her electric scooter and was coming home with me. I arrived and parked her car in a handicap spot and put her sticker in the window. Parking in the muddy lot about 3/4 of a mile away and driving her scooter there was not an option. The State Police at the event ran the number on the sticker and determined it was not issued to me. I had to call her and have her drive her scooter there and show her DL to avoid a $500.00 fine. I was going to call her and meet her somewhere anyway but the parking lot was not my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics