Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times

Advertisements

Ok, I had to do jury duty yesterday. I really don't mind, it gets me out of the office, something different, civic duty...blah blah blah...

I've always dressed in my, well dressier, work clothes (you know, the ones you wear when you know you have a meeting?).

As I sat around people watching...that's PC for being nosy.....I noticed people in shorts, jeans, flip flops, t-shirts and tennis shoes.

This just struck me as odd that people would wear these. Who knows maybe that's all they had?

I'm not passing judgement, I'm just curious.

And no I didn't get called and DID get sent home early.

So what do you wear when you go to Jury Duty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:21 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,114 times
I've never been called...... yet

Old 02-12-2009, 07:25 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
We've became a country of careless slobs. I'm the first one to get comfy but I know there is a time and place. When I was a child my mother would have me wear a dress to go to Manhattan. Back in the day, people used to dress up for air travel. Ever see people get off a plane today? You'd think they all landed in the Hudson River!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:36 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
We've became a country of careless slobs. I'm the first one to get comfy but I know there is a time and place. When I was a child my mother would have me wear a dress to go to Manhattan. Back in the day, people used to dress up for air travel. Ever see people get off a plane today? You'd think they all landed in the Hudson River!
This is pretty much true. Our society has definitely become more casual in its dress. I won't comment whether I think this is good or bad, but it is what it is.

For jury duty, I usually just dress as I always do to go to work. (Business casual which for me translates into possibly a dress, a skirt or slacks.) I probably would not feel the need to "dress up" any more than that for jury duty. Just normal work attire.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:47 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
I’m with kaykay on this one. Business casual is fine, however shorts, tank tops, flip flops just doesn’t make it for a courtroom. Defiantly do not wear stripes!

Last edited by AksarbeN; 02-12-2009 at 08:07 AM..

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 AM

103 posts, read 503,379 times
I'm supposed to show up for jury duty this coming Monday morning...odd, I think, being that it's President's Day.
But anyway, all the summons says about the dress code is that shorts and uniforms are not allowed. I guess anything else is fair game...but flip-flops seem a little too casual.

I think I'll just wear some comfortable khakis and a nice shirt...jeans seem, I don't know, disrespectful or something.

This may seem weird, but I kinda hope I get picked. Haven't ever gotten to serve before...have been sent home early when the case was settled out of court.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,759 times
I'd wear business attire such as slacks and dressy shirt or sweater. I think in a prefessional or business setting, folks should dress accordingly. It shows that you care that others perceive you in a positive and business-like way, IMO.

On a side note, I was at a job fair recently and the company stated they would be doing on-site interviews for customer service type jobs. Here's some highlights......

1. Better than 60% were dressed in jeans, sweatshirts, tennis shoes, baseball caps or sweatsuits.

2. Several people showed up with their children in tow. No babysitter, I suppose.

3. I noted several folks in the waiting area (pre-interview) chomping gum and blowing bubbles. The folks doing the hiring were in and out of that area regularly.

My interviewer told me they were having trouble finding qualifed candidates who seem to understand what the words "appropriate" or "professional" mean. Sad.

As a previous poster said, many folks have become nothing but slobs. No doubt they would show up for jury duty in their PJ's and slippers and a bowl of popcorn to enjoy the show.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 AM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,507 times
I got called and picked 2 years ago. Wore a nice business suit. Well noticed jeans, tennis shoes, clothing t tight for the body it was on, neeless to say I went to my kakies, always liked them. They were ironed and more comfortable.
I actually enjoyed that case, it wasn't a criminal one. I could get used to jury duty.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
I've been called four times, served twice.
I wore business casual.
I remember seeing people with kids and some rather sloppy attire, too.
I actually sympathize with the people with kids; not so much the sloppy attire, though.
I am a huge believer in comfortable clothing, but sometimes I just don't want to see a guy's hairy legs, ya know what I mean?

Old 02-12-2009, 08:58 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m with kaykay on this one. Business casual is fine, however shorts, tank tops, flip flops just doesn’t make it for a courtroom. Defiantly do not wear stripes!
I'd stay away from wearing "safety orange."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics