Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you do? mulichoice answers
Talk directly to the person who the rumor is about for information 2 33.33%
Move out of town and find another city 0 0%
Talk with their supervisors or people responsible above them. 0 0%
Send an unsigned letter to the individual and tell them what you think 0 0%
Don’t get involved at all, even if you know that things are true 4 66.67%
Call the local talk radio host at the radio station in town. 0 0%
Don’t worry about it; things will fix themselves in time 1 16.67%
Write a letter to the mayor of the town 0 0%
Consider changing schools or churches 0 0%
Write a thread about this problem in C-D and hope they read it 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

For several weeks now you’ve heard a story or gossip going around your area of town about one of the people who you know that works at the school or church in your neighborhood. Seems everyone is talking about this person and what happened. You are concerned about the rumor and worry that if there is any truth to it, something should be done to correct the issue. What do you do?

update:

The topic of the rumor could be very harmful or damaging, on the other hand it could be nothing at all but important enough to you – that you have to do something about it or not. Guess it’s a question for some people as to ~ would you even react to a rumor going around and be concerned enough to do anything about it. So I can’t give you specifics – sorry.

Pick a hypothetical rumor that would allow you to react or not, and what would you do?

Last edited by AksarbeN; 03-21-2009 at 11:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I guess it would depend on what 'area' a person lives. In a small town, all it takes is for one person to discover something, and the whole town will know by sundown.
In a city, would wait it out and see of they would tell me themselves. Otherwise, would just take it with a grain of salt.
Dont say it, Mike.........

Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Aksarben I'd need to know a little more about what type of rumor it was?

Rumor that someone slept with someone?
Rumor that someone has a drug/drinking problem?
Rumor that someone is stealing from their employer?
Rumor that someone is a pedophile?

Lots of different rumors and I'd answer differently depending on what type of rumor it was.....

Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 PM

The topic of the rumor could be very harmful or damaging, on the other hand it could be nothing at all but important enough to you – that you have to do something about it or not. Guess it’s a question for some people as to ~ would you even react to a rumor going around and be concerned enough to do anything about it. So I can’t give you specifics – sorry.

Pick a hypothetical rumor that would allow you to react or not, and what would you do?

Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,675,600 times
Depends on how close I feel to the person. If the person is close to my heart, I go straight to them and ask. A person that I'm only on a hello, have a nice day kindda thing. I stay out of it. IMO gossip is rude sometimes cruel and I do not like it being passed on to me.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
Like mommytotwo I think the situation makes a big difference. A pastor having an affair with the secretary, while shameful, is not against the law. A teacher, having an affair with a 15 yr old student is another story. I think I would call AksarbeN and ask for help.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
This is right up my alley. Living in a community with like ages.......I've seen this happen a few times.
The story goes from one to the other and ends up nothing like it is told.
I have learned to be very very careful with what I say and what others say to me.

Most important lesson is stay out of it and do NOT get involved while being friendly with everyone.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:27 AM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
This is right up my alley. Living in a community with like ages.......I've seen this happen a few times.
The story goes from one to the other and ends up nothing like it is told.
I have learned to be very very careful with what I say and what others say to me.

Most important lesson is stay out of it and do NOT get involved while being friendly with everyone.

Ive seen that happen when I lived in apt complexes!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 PM

If I pick the right hypothetical rumor and it’s a friend of mine, I’d confront him/her and see what gives. If there’s nothing to the rumor then they might be able to get things turned around before it got even worse. If it’s not a close friend, then I don’t know how to approach the individual thus it makes it harder then if a friend. However if no one steps forward to help correct the rumored situation then it only smells worse and can get worse.

If the rumor involved minors at school or church then I’d want to check with the proper authorities there to see if there’s any fact or truth to it. You have to protect the kids but doing it tactfully to protect a persons reputation although it may have gone too far and already been damaged.

So yes, I would get involved based on the type of rumor and what the rumor was about. I don’t care what to consenting adults do on their own time, but don’t get children involved. And don’t be caught with taking funds from the organizations you might work for or volunteer at.

I don’t like hearing rumors nor do I repeat them, however they do need to be stopped before getting worse. Also if there is any legal issue or crime being committed it needs to be checkout.

Some rumors are stupid grade school types and no need to deal with them.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:05 PM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
If the rumor is about a friend I would go to the friend and talk to him/her about it. If the rumor is about someone I know but am not close with, I wouldn't get involved, which is exactly what is happening now.
I am staying out of it for now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics