Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM

437 posts, read 929,779 times

Advertisements

our bats, polar bears, penguins and so many others are going to become extinct if we don't do something. raise awareness people. stop using pesticides. and fertilizer (they truly harm our enviroment) we also may become extinct if we are not careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:26 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
we also may become extinct if we are not careful.
Could we start with the bankers and politicians?

Old 04-14-2009, 12:50 PM

possibly...but it's just will they listen and do something about it?

Old 04-14-2009, 04:06 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iColt1 View Post
our bats, polar bears, penguins and so many others are going to become extinct if we don't do something. raise awareness people. stop using pesticides. and fertilizer (they truly harm our enviroment) we also may become extinct if we are not careful.
we humans are creating the 6th great extintion!!!! when the krill is gone we will be gone. we humans eat everything now.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:46 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,740 times
I have always thought of the human animal being the only animal alive that literally destroys its own environment to survive.

I must admit I am divided in this debate... so many errors and so much destruction has already occurred that what ever we do now could all just be in vain even if "everyone" got on board. the other part is that there is no way we can get everyone or enough people on board to make a significant change, only delay what will come in the end. I do however believe we can make great strides in technology to actually survive what may come since I believe the earth will wash itself clean in the end.

But what is truly to come and when....? How will it affect us and how do we prepare? To many unanswered questions and too many politico's mumbo-jumbo to deal with... makes me wonder if the movie Wall-E could be a reality someday? Or The Day After? Will an ET come a save our planet for us? Or will we just blow ourselves up in anger and justify it as religious rights?

Don’t get me totally wrong. I do believe that things can be done and should be done to try an make life cleaner and nicer on this planet ( or at least locally ). I am just noticing the fight I have with my own father who would rather mow they yard and trash the clippings into the garbage then use the mulcher on his mower and allow the clippings to go to ground and recycle itself. We just got our new dual garbage pick up automated trash/recycle bins. Teaching that old dog a new trick is going to rough... I can imagine trying to do that for an entire city of old dogs and stubborn mules.

Here is to doing what we can with what we are dealt with... for I would much rather see a brighter future then continue to cry at the losses along the way.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:00 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Fewer bees each year, means fewer corps, which equates to less food.

Man has become educated enough to know what is cause and affect. So what we have a choice to continue down the same road, or make a change and improve. Even if it is a little improvement is it change for the better. We can sit around and do nothing or do something ~ if something helps then we can save ourselves if not then we become extinct and died trying.

In all of the animal kingdom man is the species that will “mess in his own house”, and in this case we are destroying it. There are answers to the problems but is man smart enough to understand the issues? Is he willing to do something or nothing?

Look at all of the illness and health issues we have today which never occurred or were less percentage in people years decades ago. Something is wrong with what we eat, how we eat, and how we grow it. We poison the land, water and air and fail to control the manufactures that continue this practice. Remember hearing MTB used in gasoline? It’s a poison that was burned in the car engines and the exhaust put it into the air, and the air carried it onto the land, and the rain washed it into the rivers and every body of water in North America. Every fresh water lake has MTB that causes cancer in it. We eat the first so how did you enjoy your MTB last time you ate it?

Scary,,, hell yes, but only if we do nothing about it.

Oh,,,, and my understand is that MTB in gasoline didn't need to be there in the first place!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 AM

what is MTB? and don't forget. fewer bats means more insects. more insects means putting more pesticides on crops. which hurts our and not to mention others enviroments!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Default MTBE not just MTB

I’m bad,,, it’s MTBE not just MTB

MTBE gasoline additive used in the late 70’s to reduce emissions. Here’s a link with more information.

Drinking Water Contaminants - The gasoline additive, MTBE

Old 04-21-2009, 01:29 PM

36,523 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
The biggest threat is loss of habitat. Are we willing to control our populations and stop development?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:39 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Polar bears are not in danger because of man. They will adapt to their habitat as they did a million years ago. The ice is melting...just like it has been for the last million years. Polar bears will cross breed with grizzlies as they've already begun to do...and thrive nicely on shore.
Who or what is killing bee's? I have thousands around my place all summer.
I've not heard anything about penguins being in trouble. I don't think they are good for eating anyway...and they really contribute nothing to the world other than looks right?
Bats? Thats another new one on me...I have not heard of any bat's being endangered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics