Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,226,924 times

Advertisements

I have a cell phone for work and am on call 24/7. A canoe rental in another area has the same phone number, only with a different area code. They have a website that has the number listed with my area code. I am getting phone calls all the time for them and for a few months have given the callers the correct area code. We have contacted the business and asked that they correct their website for more than a month to no avail.

The problem is that if an emergency call comes in to me and I don't answer, they call the next person on the list. So I can't let the calls go to VM. I've gotten six calls for this business so far this weekend. Now that it is summer, they will only increase.

I was fed up a few days ago when at a family get together and just told the caller that the springs had been closed by the state due to an alligator attack. She asked when they would reopen and I told her that "we" would be applying to the state in the fall to be permitted to reopen. Now I am feeling bad about it, but don't know what else to do. It won't stop the calls (or the added cost of the extra minutes on my cell phone), but it kind of made me laugh. But then I felt kind of bad about it.

Maybe I can work a deal with the place for free canoe rentals or something in exchange for giving the correct phone number. After giving the correct area code, I have told a couple of callers how much they will like it, as I have been there before.

How would you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 11:34 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,420,918 times
I know what your going through. I had a number that was one number off from a local news program. They would have give-a-ways, call and if your # whatever you win. They did this at 6 a.m. everyday. You answer the phone and they're screaming DID I WIN
I had to change my phone number Maybe that's what you should do.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:55 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,543,110 times
I would get in touch with the canoe rental company again and tell them if they don't fix it, you'll start telling people that they're no longer in business.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:56 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,853,184 times
contact your Attn General office.... contact your phone company and write a letter to the canoe rental place. (send certified and keep a copy) Letting them know that under no certain terms that you will accapt any more delay in changing the phone number on thier website. You let them know that this is impacting your job negitively and that you do expect that they will make the proper adjustments with in a week or additional action will be forth coming legally. Oh and also list the time and whom you talked to previously.
If I recall correctly if the situation is not changed either by your phone company (if you can change your number I am assuming you cannot), that this offense on their behave is a legal problem that is creating a problem within your company since you are on call if you are on the phone with their customers you can't help yours.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,853,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
I would get in touch with the canoe rental company again and tell them if they don't fix it, you'll start telling people that they're no longer in business.
I would agree with that but I don't think he can legally. If he does then they might be able to sue him.

But I have to admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea!

Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,245,736 times
Could you speak with your own service provider and see if they can just change YOUR number? You shouldn't have to to.....but it may be the only way to stop the madness.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:39 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,680,354 times
I had this happen and after contacting the company that had posted my phone number they changed their advertising and gave me $200.00 for my extra phone time and my trouble.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,431,649 times
I like the gator story. Stick with it and they'll change their website.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,543,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
I would agree with that but I don't think he can legally. If he does then they might be able to sue him.

But I have to admit I LOVE LOVE LOVE the idea!
But if all they have to do is make a correction on their website, maybe giving them an ultimatum might help.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:56 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,582,327 times
fuzzy... I like your solution. 'They' should be more responsible. I get phone calls for the pharmacy and a tire company. Annoying when the calls come in at the wrong times for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics