Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,373,361 times

Advertisements

Happy Monday January 22, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
If you have a portable/mobile device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.), does it have a case/shell/holder-
and/or a screen protector (transparent material, to cover the front) ?
How do you carry it around-in a bag with strap or handle, clipped to belt loop, in your pocket, or other ?

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of ?
How many of those have you tried ?
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ?
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ?
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ?

LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apple_cultivars

Bonus:
Which kinds of laundry (clothing you wash) do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead ?

Just for Fun:
Have you ever witnessed tumbleweeds tumbling, in real life ?
Have you seen a snow fence or sand fence
(made of webbed orange plastic, or wood & wire-to minimize or redirect drifting accumulations) ?

LINK —>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_fence

Today in History:
1947: KTLA in Los Angeles becomes first licensed commercial broadcast tv station west of the Mississippi River
1949: Birth of singer-songwriter Steve Perry (Journey)
1965: Birth of actress Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun, Trumbo)
2002: Kmart Corporation (chain of big box dept. stores) files for bankruptcy

Today’s Word:
votary /ˈvōdərē/ (n.): Narrowly, someone who has dedicated him or her self to a life in service to a religious order.
Broadly, a devotee, an adherent to or promoter of a philosophy/lifestyle/cause, admirer or worshipper of a venerated figure.

Today Is:
National Blonde Brownie Day

-this week is-
International Hoof-Care Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower middle-

Thought for the Day:
“Perpetual devotion to what a man calls his business is only to be sustained by perpetual neglect of many other things.”
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Wishing all y’all out in C-D land a glorious and delicious Monday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 11:54 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Happy Monday January 22, everybody-and welcome to QOTD. Happy to you too cloven.

Today’s Question:
If you have a portable/mobile device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.), does it have a case/shell/holder-
How do you carry it around-in a bag with strap or handle, clipped to belt loop, in your pocket, or other ? I don't have any of this/that stuff.

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of ? Many.
How many of those have you tried ? Many.
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ? Honeycrisp.
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ? Honeycrisp.
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ? With.

Bonus:
Which kinds of laundry (clothing you wash) do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead ? Have no idea, laundry is not my job here, I'm not allowed to cook or do laundry for safety sake. I do other things to make up for it.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever witnessed tumbleweeds tumbling, in real life ? Yes, they're all around me here in the desert. One of my favorite songs is "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" by the Son's of the Pioneers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UiSMyyj-Ac

Have you seen a snow fence or sand fence Yes both kinds.
(made of webbed orange plastic, or wood & wire-to minimize or redirect drifting accumulations) ?
LINK —> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_fence

cloven

Old 01-22-2018, 12:09 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Today’s Question:
If you have a portable/mobile device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.), does it have a case/shell
/holder- and/or a screen protector (transparent material, to cover the front) ?
No, no, no and no. How's that for negativity?
How do you carry it around-in a bag with strap or handle, clipped to belt loop, in your pocket, or other ?
Have carried a phone on a belt clip or in a pocket.

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of ? 8.5
How many of those have you tried ? 3.25
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ? Granny Smith
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ? No idea.
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ? With.

Bonus:
Which kinds of laundry do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead ?
Anything that says "Dry Clean Only" that can be washed in cold water.

Just for Fun:
What do you mean? Like
Have you seen a snow fence or sand fence?
Seen the describe fences, but not in use to control snow, sand, or leaves.

And to you.

Old 01-22-2018, 12:48 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,969 times
Today’s Question:

If you have a portable/mobile device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.), does it have a case/shell
/holder- and/or a screen protector (transparent material, to cover the front) ?
Tablets and phones yes to both a protective rubber case and screen protector purely because I am extremely clumsy

Both tablet and phones in my cavernous handbag - no wonder it weighs a ton!

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of ? Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Pink Lady, Granny Smith
How many of those have you tried ? All of the above
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ? Golden Delicious, everytime!
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ? Golden Delicious, always available in my local store
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ? Preferably without, more so when in conversation with someone face2face and you accidentally spit one out at them!

Bonus:
Which kinds of laundry do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead ? rugs & mats; and whatever the washing label recommends

Just for Fun:
Have you ever witnessed tumbleweeds tumbling, in real life ? Yes, whilst holidaying in South Africa out in the middle of nowhere
Have you seen a snow fence or sand fence? Snow fences hardly at all, but sand fences yes

Thank you, Cloven

Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 AM

21,548 posts, read 8,729,914 times

Today’s Question:
and/or a screen protector (transparent material, to cover the front)?
Yes, I have both, although the screen protector wore out and needs to be replaced.

How do you carry it around-in a bag with strap or handle, clipped to belt loop, in your pocket, or other?
Normally it's carried in my handbag. At the gym I carry it in a waist pack.

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of?
I can think of nine off the top of my head:
Spoiler
Red Delicious, Jonathan, Winesap, Macintosh, Honeycrisp, Fuji, Cameo, Pink Lady and Granny Smith

How many of those have you tried?
All but two.
Spoiler
Cameo and Winesap

Is there a particular apple variety that you like best?
I like Fuji apples best because they're juicy and very crisp..

Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know?
Over a lifetime I'd have to say Red Delicious because those were the default eating apple when I was growing up. There were only two kinds of apples that I knew of back then - red or green. Nowadays I mostly buy Fujis.

Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin?

It doesn't matter. I like apples with or without peel.

Bonus:

Which kinds of laundry (clothing you wash) do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead?
Anything knit or delicate; washable wool shirts; cotton shirts that had better not shrink one single millimeter or they won't fit me any more.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever witnessed tumbleweeds tumbling, in real life?
Possibly as a child. We used to live in Southern California, which is basically a desert, and I saw lots of desert flora and fauna such as jackrabbits, yucca trees and that sort of thing. I may have seen a tumbleweed then, but I really don't remember.

(made of webbed orange plastic, or wood & wire-to minimize or redirect drifting accumulations)?

I think I've seen those at Lake Tahoe.

Thanks, cloven!

Last edited by Bayarea4; 01-22-2018 at 01:47 AM.. Reason: Forgot to answer two of the Qs. Also, spacing.

Old 01-22-2018, 02:55 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
[quote=cloven;50777073]Happy Monday January 22, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:

I have a laptop, but it sits plugged in on a shelf for emergencies when the desktop gets sick. The poor wretch never gets to travel.

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of ? Maybe a half dozen, though I grew up in an area where apple orchards were cash crops.
How many of those have you tried ? Probably a dozen I would guess.
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ? Pink Lady
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ? Pink Lady
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ? With

Bonus:
Which kinds of laundry (clothing you wash) do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead ?

Everything goes on a clothesline. Dryers are unusual where I live, mostly foreigners and better off locals aping foreigners have them.

Just for Fun:
Have you ever witnessed tumbleweeds tumbling, in real life ? Once, in California in the mid-Sixties...it just came tumbling across the road.
Have you seen a snow fence or sand fence All my life. I have always lived in snowy country or in sandy areas. My first memory is of a wooden snow fence.

LINK —>

Today in History:
1947: KTLA in Los Angeles becomes first licensed commercial broadcast tv station west of the Mississippi River
1949: Birth of singer-songwriter Steve Perry (Journey)
1965: Birth of actress Diane Lane (Under the Tuscan Sun, Trumbo)
2002: Kmart Corporation (chain of big box dept. stores) files for bankruptcy

Today’s Word:
votary /ˈvōdərē/ (n.): Narrowly, someone who has dedicated him or her self to a life in service to a religious order.
Broadly, a devotee, an adherent to or promoter of a philosophy/lifestyle/cause, admirer or worshipper of a venerated figure.

Today Is:

-this week is-
International Hoof-Care Week Mine sure need it.

Thought for the Day:
“Perpetual devotion to what a man calls his business is only to be sustained by perpetual neglect of many other things.”
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Igual. It is getting warmer earlier in the day....at last.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:07 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,987 times
Happy Monday January 22, everybody-and welcome to QOTD.

Today’s Question:
My older laptop which is now sort of retired has a carrying case. My current laptop is bigger and does not fit in the case so I just shove it in my book bag. My cellphone goes in my pocket.

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of ? A few
How many of those have you tried ? A few
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ? Not really
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ? Been years since I last ate an apple
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ? Not a fan of apples

Bonus:
When it comes to laundry everything goes in one load and all gets dried in the dryer.

Just for Fun:
I have. Any tumbleweed you see blowing along is heading for Pasco Washington. The two summers I worked at the Pasco airport I spent a lot of time burning tumbleweeds.

Lots of them in Alaska

Old 01-22-2018, 03:32 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Happy A"mazing" Monday!

Today’s Question:
and/or a screen protector (transparent material, to cover the front) ? Yes, a mini iPad, a laptop and iPhone--all have cases to protect them.
How do you carry it around-in a bag with strap or handle, clipped to belt loop, in your pocket, or other ? Unless I am traveling somewhere, the laptop stays home. The iPhone and mini iPad stay in my handbag.

Extra Credit:
How many of those have you tried ? Lots, at the Farmers' Market they always have lots sliced up so one can try the different varieties. We have quite a few Apple Orchards around here.
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ? I like sweet, crisp apples--Honeycrisp, Fuji, Gala
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ? Gala
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ? With, provides a bit more nutrition.

Bonus:
Which kinds of laundry (clothing you wash) do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead ? Easier to say what goes in the dryer--towels, bedsheets, undergarments, socks, sleepwear. Pretty much everything else gets hung to dry, the dryer is evil to clothes!

Just for Fun:
(made of webbed orange plastic, or wood & wire-to minimize or redirect drifting accumulations) ? Of course!
LINK —>[/i][/color] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_fence

Have a lovely a"mazing" day!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:19 AM

11,373 posts, read 9,288,232 times
Today’s Question:

Recently got the phone which was unexpected.
For now in my pocket, no cover.

Extra Credit:
How many of those have you tried ?
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ?
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ?
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ?

I can name some but I do not buy or like them. I've tried several...

Bonus:

A couple of nightshirts.

Just for Fun:
- No to this part.

Thanks, cloven.
Happy Monday to all!

Old 01-22-2018, 04:50 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,320 times
Today’s Question:
and/or a screen protector (transparent material, to cover the front) ? School techs put a plastic protector on the cover of teachers' laptops and something called a mCover over the keyboard.
How do you carry it around-in a bag with strap or handle, clipped to belt loop, in your pocket, or other ? I have a laptop at home & one at school; don't carry either far.

Extra Credit:
How many types of apples do you know the name of ? Nine
How many of those have you tried ? All. The trees in my favorite orchard are labeled, so people know what they're picking.
Is there a particular apple variety that you like best ? Honeycrisp or Macoun
Which kind have you eaten most recently, if you know ? The last half bushel picked in the fall had a variety, so no idea what I ate last.
Do you prefer apples with-or without-the peel/skin ? Either, no preference

Bonus:
Which kinds of laundry (clothing you wash) do you avoid putting in the dryer, and let air dry instead ? Anything that needs to lay flat when drying

Just for Fun:
Have you ever witnessed tumbleweeds tumbling, in real life ? Haven't
(made of webbed orange plastic, or wood & wire-to minimize or redirect drifting accumulations) ? Many snow fences; a few sand fences on the Cape.

LINK —>

Today’s Word:

Today Is:

-this week is-
International Hoof-Care Week

Today’s Picture:
Entrance & exit are at lower middle-

Thought for the Day:
-Robert Louis Stevenson

Thanks, cloven!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics