Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,183,302 times

Advertisements

Have you ever just watched people and seen that when they meet someone with the same cultural background or upbringing they are generally nice, polite and curtious. Now that same person meets someone of a different culture and they close up.
I've caught myself shutting down or closing up and try quickly to recognize that behavior and correct it asap.
Why are we like that and what causes you (if it does) to behave like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 11:09 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,462,196 times
I think we are most comfortable with people who are like us, in appearance, social custom and culture. I think it is human nature to gravitate to those who are similar to who we are. It takes a lot to go outside your comfort zone and mingle with others who are different than you. I saw a black person for the first time when I was six or seven (not counting black people I saw on TV). I'm glad that children today are growing up in a diverse society. I think that overall it's good for people of different races and cultures to mix. It forces us to see that 'our' way isn't the only way and that there is no one 'right' kind of people or society.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:19 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
I've always been kind of fascinated by people from different cultures so I can kind of open up around people from different countries or who speak different native languages. When I was in high schoool the lunch table I sat at looked like a meeting of the United Nations.

Old 06-14-2009, 02:40 PM

2,177 posts, read 3,548,957 times
Only when I smell gas......

Old 06-15-2009, 04:55 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,200,867 times
I'll talk to anyone.....anytime....about anything. I'm a talker.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
My Aunt is like that. No matter where she is there she is talking with someone. Even in a doctors office she was chatting with another patient and found out they (herself and husband) were hopi indians, she got a recipe for indian flat bread, a website on how to cook it inside a kettle, and learned how to fix cactus to eat. She has a talent. Her husband is about the same way but he mostly talks engineering and how stuff works and history.

It is people like you and my aunt & uncle that make life so much more enjoyable and normal. Kind of reminds me we are all just human and evil doesn't lurk around every corner.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,462,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I'm a talker too but not so much that I annoy people. The funny thing is, I was painfully shy as a child. In middle school...about the ninth grade I came out of my shell. I wasn't a social butterfly, and I was still a loner, but at least I was able to get up in front of the class and give a book report without suffering internal turmoil.

It wasn't until I graduated from high school and got my first job...began making my way in the world did I become social and fully overcome my shyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics