Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 05:37 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times

Advertisements

Due to a wind storm in our area, the apartment buildings in my block were without power from 11:30 a.m. yesterday until 1:45 a.m. this morning. At first, when I got home from work at 3:30, the lack of power was really no big deal. Okay, so I couldn't check my e-mail, see what's new on C-D , microwave some popcorn, or make myself a cup of coffee. I dealt with all of that very well - until it began getting dark. Yes, we have flashlights, and I dug up some candles, too. In fact, my apartment still smells like scented candes! Still, there's something a bit unnerving about being so totally in the dark - no street lights, nothing!

I decided to go out last night (I go dancing every Thursday), so I had to take a shower early, because showering by candlelight or flashlight wasn't very appealing. I couldn't blow dry my hair. I didn't have enough light to put makeup on. I bet I was a scary sight last night!

I don't watch TV very much, so I didn't miss that. I felt very cut off due to the lack of e-mail and Internet, though! I decided that if one thing had to go, it would be cable TV.

What are the rest of you dependent on (that uses electricity or otherwise)? I feel like such a wimp compared to pioneers who crossed this country in their covered wagons!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 06:00 PM

192 posts, read 864,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
What are the rest of you dependent on (that uses electricity or otherwise)?
I'd say I'm most dependent on having hot water (fueled by oil, but the burner needs electricity to run!). I can deal with having no lights for a time, though in winter having no heat (again, burner needs electricity) would be a serious problem. I have a laptop, but the cable modem needs a power source! (Should I buy a UPS, I wonder???)

I would be highly peeved if all of the food in my refrigerator and freezer were to spoil as a result of a power outage.

I use a cell phone, so if need be I could recharge the battery with the charger in the car (assuming I don't run out of gas, or that the gas stations aren't without power either).

Old 04-13-2007, 06:16 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
Funny, when you live in FL you get quite a collection of generators, power inverters, and battery operated gizmos. I would have to agree with hot water and I will add A/C.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:54 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,687,108 times
We have had our power cut 3 times this year here in NC. Due to construction workers accidentally pulling up underground cables, etc.

And my main dependence I found was missed, is my fridge and ceiling fans.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:55 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Well I have natural gas for my cook stove. I can heat water that way if my gas water heater quit. And the oven will heat the whole house even at 30 below. I lived here a whole year with oil lamps and candles for light, and a wood stove to heat and cook on. I did have a little honda generator to run the tv and a toaster tho. I gotta have toast with breakfast and doing it on top of a wood stove sucks. After a couple weeks I never missed having electric lights and stuff at all. Being in a storm where the lights go out is kind of scarey yet fun!

Old 04-13-2007, 09:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I decided to go out last night (I go dancing every Thursday), so I had to take a shower early, because showering by candlelight or flashlight wasn't very appealing. I couldn't blow dry my hair. I didn't have enough light to put makeup on. I bet I was a scary sight last night!
For one I doubt that was a scary sight. And for 2, showering in candle light. For lack of any better words, that sounds outrageously hot.

ANYWAYS!

Quote:
What are the rest of you dependent on (that uses electricity or otherwise)? I feel like such a wimp compared to pioneers who crossed this country in their covered wagons!

What do I use that requires electricity that I am dependent on. Well mainly my cell phone, and dead honest that's about it. If I couldn't talk to a certain someone I'd go insane!

And most of you are like yeah liar, your computer, your video games and all that stuff.

Honest I could do without my computer and my video games, you give me a basketball and nice spring day, you won't see me inside until it either gets cold or until the mosquitoes suck most the life out of me. I think that they work for the red cross honest with how much blood they take!

Maybe not even a basketball, I will walk forever if the weather is nice. Literally, when I was on vacation, I walked everywhere. I wasn't old enough to rent a car, I had no idea where I was walking, but I found my way back everyday. One time I went to a little store and someone there was talking to me and said he asked if I needed a ride because he was worried I was going to walk into a not so nice neighborhood. I was grateful for the kindness and said no thanks. It's really rare to find that these days.

Well, no one asked for a story so I'm done lol.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:14 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
My company makes its living on power failures. Every time there's a power failure, I have power generation techs making calls around Anchorage to fix the genset they have been neglecting for the past 10 years.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:20 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,703,722 times
There's one more facet that hasn't been mentioned yet. I'm way back in the woods so trees coming down in a storm often take out the power lines. When that happens my well pump no pump That means you get to flush the toilet once.! But the power is often out for 12 or more hours. As we all know guys just step outside and descreatly take a leak. The ladies on the other hand.......

I have an easy work around...outside on the deck is about 450 gallons of hot water in the jacuzzi. That and a bucket refills the toilet tank. I always have a couple of gallons of bottled water on hand for making coffee etc ... (heat water on outdoor grill and pour thru coffee maker !! )

Old 04-14-2007, 01:07 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzou View Post
For one I doubt that was a scary sight. And for 2, showering in candle light. For lack of any better words, that sounds outrageously hot.
Maybe I should have said that showering alone by candlelight holds no appeal!

And thank you for your story. I'm also glad to see that you get out and play basketball, and actually have a life!

Old 04-14-2007, 09:33 AM

393 posts, read 1,880,607 times
Default Out for a week

Yikes in a NC ice storm I was out for a week........!!! Heck I come from one of the coldest places you can live in the midwest and never had an experience like this before.

If I had been working at the time, I could have used the electricity at work but of course I had quit my job about 3 weeks before that......It was a nightmare! I don't have any family, or friends in the area so I spent alot of time at the bookstore, along with many others.......The worse part was coming home to sleep. I could deal with cleaning up at public retailers and such......LOL. My fish died, and my cats were miserable!

One experience I will never forget!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics