Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can others contribute to another's suicide by yelling "jump"?
No, the person is mentally unstable anyway and would do it eventually, if not then 12 19.05%
Yes, their words can be the tipping point to suicide 27 42.86%
The may contribute the last straw, but have no responsibility for the decision to jump 18 28.57%
Not sure 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:58 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

If a person is on a ledge about to jump and others below are yelling "jump, jump" and then that person jumps, do you think the people who yelled jump contributed to the suicide?

(sorry, bad title..another, another....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 06:04 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,570 times
In my opinion...NO. I think if a person who is attempting suicide is in that frame of mind and have that 'no other way out' tunnel vision...it won't matter what the people below will yell. However, having said that, if a person isn't 'comitted' to comitting suicide and are doing it as a cry for help, it may have an impact on them. Either way, I don't think the people below are contributors.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:25 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
My mother committed suicide. I know that words pushed her back from the brink once, and words pushed her over the edge many years later.

Choose your words wisely. You never know what kind of an impact they might have on another person.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
the person thats hollaring the loudest to jump,,,id be aiming for that bastard...

Old 04-18-2007, 06:32 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
My mother committed suicide. I know that words pushed her back from the brink once, and words pushed her over the edge many years later.

Choose your words wisely. You never know what kind of an impact they might have on another person.
I'm SO sorry. I agree, choose your words. But I think if it's in their mind, it's gonna happen regardless, especially once they get that tunnel vision. The 'last words' whether of encouragement or not I think contribute very little to the end result. It may have an immediate impact, but the end result will be the same. Of course, this is MY opinion and is debateable.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your mother.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:37 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,765,301 times
Yes, Evey, I am truly sorry about your Mom too. I don't beleive that anyone can prevent a suicide, while words may prolong it, unless the person seeks help and medication and actually finds it, the though is always there and eventually they will seek PEACE. Mental illness is a complex thing, unless you have been exposed to it, say another family member or close friend, you can't understand. Sometimes they do seek help and nothing works for them, only making the situation more and more discouraging.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:12 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Oh Evey, I'm SO sorry to hear that. It has to be such a heartbreaking thing to have happen.

My vote is for "words being the final straw". In most cases, I don't believe that someone is driven to suicide by another, but they can contribute to someone just not being able to tolerate life anymore.

Old 04-19-2007, 09:24 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Oh Evey, I'm SO sorry to hear that. It has to be such a heartbreaking thing to have happen.

My vote is for "words being the final straw". In most cases, I don't believe that someone is driven to suicide by another, but they can contribute to someone just not being able to tolerate life anymore.
Thanks for all of the support, both here & in all of the PMs.

I am inclined to believe that this was the case with my mother. She got to where she just didn't believe there was a reason to continue. Life was not kind to my mother, but I don't think she looked for the positives that were there. Sometimes the negatives are much easier to see.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the person thats hollaring the loudest to jump,,,id be aiming for that bastard...
Too funny.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:12 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Default so sorry-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post

IMO they cant be driven by just one person- BUT everything has an impact. Remember the movie "Its a Wonderful Life" where the angel tells George most people dont realize the effect they've had on people- until its too late? This is so true.

I try to treat people as I would want to be treated. What goes around comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics