Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,298,540 times

Advertisements

Just curious to hear from anyone who has ever willingly changed their name as an adult. I'm talking first name. Or first AND last.

I am engaged to be married and will change my surname to my partner's after we are married, because I don't like my surname at all and never have.

I am seriously considering changing my GIVEN name for the same reason. I would probably keep my middle name to appease my mother. I just have never felt like my name "fit" me and I think that at 38 I have had plenty of time to think on it. When I am at the doc's office and they call out my name I cringe! Okay so it's not THAT bad but to me it's just wrong and a total mis-match. The name(s) I have in mind flow much better with my future surname.

My mom admits that when I was born she didn't know what to name me. The hospital pressured her but for a week I was "Baby Girl ______". She told them she couldn't name me yet since she didn't "know" me well enough to know what name FIT. Well, they wouldn't let her go home without naming me and she was tired of being in the hospital so she just 'picked something' out of her list of possible names! It's not something that she thought long and hard over. I'm not named after a relative or anything with significance. It's just a name she picked because they were on her case!

The name I want for myself would also include an ancestor's name, and I am excited about the idea but I wonder how hard it is to get used to using it and get other people used to it seems like the bigger challenge.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
changed my name of CDF will do it again too.
it makes it harder for those that wana know to track your posts on google.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I meant real, legal name. Real life. But I think you knew that....

Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,445,927 times
I have thought about changing my first name. Lindsey is not my real name BTW.
My Mother LOVED this name but it has nothing to do with family names or heritage. Its a German name that is always mispronounced, always raises a clatter of conversation about why I am named this. I have never liked it.

I have thought about it and will probably do it but I have been saying that for a long time.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I meant real, legal name. Real life. But I think you knew that....
yes i did but i didnt do it my parents did.
at a young age.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:57 PM

27,350 posts, read 27,405,100 times
Yep, I have. And not for marriage either. The name I have now isnt my birth name.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:57 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,195,080 times
I think it was thoughtful and respectful of you to dicuss this with your mom since she named you. Since she has no problem with it I say go for it. Personally. I have a knickname that is used so much I'm thinking of changing my name and once even signed a check using the nickname instead of my real name. You are right in that it will be difficult to get others to call you by your new name but every time they call you by the wrong name just say, 'I'm sorry but it's >>>(insert name here).

Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

Why would anyone want to google CDF posts?
Never mind.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire View Post
Yep, I have. And not for marriage either. The name I have now isnt my birth name.
So how old were you when you did this? How long did it take for you and others to get used to the new name?

I've been "running it by" my friends and family and everyone likes the possible new name, everyone except my 17 year old son. He is vehemently opposed. Says he knew a girl in school with that name and she was a horrible person. LOL. You think he'll just get over that in time?

Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I have thought about changing my first name. Lindsey is not my real name BTW.
My Mother LOVED this name but it has nothing to do with family names or heritage. Its a German name that is always mispronounced, always raises a clatter of conversation about why I am named this. I have never liked it.

I have thought about it and will probably do it but I have been saying that for a long time.
Would you keep your original first name as a middle name or something? My last name is always mispronounced too. My first name is just really really ordinary and when I look in the mirror, I sure don't look like that name, if that makes sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics