Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,925 times

Advertisements

some people here aren't exactly welcoming of newbies. some are very judgemental. others just ignorant. can't we all just get along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I rarely look.

I look at join date, number of posts and reps first, particularly if someone is saying something provocative. I think most people come to CD and do one of two things: post something bland like "Does anyone know a good piano tuner in the Boston area?" (that's what the bulk of CD is for and probably why they ended up here), or respond to someone else's post. People who say inflammatory things and joined this month, or have very few posts, are probably in it for the drama. I also look at the ratio of reps to posts, particularly in new people--everybody says inane things, especially as time goes by. But five posts, 10 posts, and little to no reps? Ignore.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,923,439 times
some newbies like to release themselves gradually.

do you tell your entire life story on a first date, or do you drop enough clues to try to arouse the other's interest ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotheranonymousposter View Post
some people here aren't exactly welcoming of newbies. some are very judgemental. others just ignorant. can't we all just get along.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I'm simply curious - this is the first time you've posted so from whence come your conclusions? I'm not sure what it has to do with the question, either.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:18 AM

Quote:
See, from this post, I infer that you just created this handle. Your join date is October 2009, and this is your first post. You made an opinionated statement that does not fit with someone who just stumbled upon CD, so I assume you are another poster who created this handle in order to speak your mind anonymously.

Right or wrong, that's what those stats about you tell me.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,925 times
yup, my first post... after reading through several threads/posts that is how I came to this conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm simply curious - this is the first time you've posted so from whence come your conclusions? I'm not sure what it has to do with the question, either.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellfire View Post
Well, you've given me something to think about. But where I live is so small, so Peyton-place, so incestuous. I like the cold, hard comfort of the anonymous post. It frees me to say the things about where I live and most of my neighbors without fear of reprisals.

Of course, i could lie on the profile but what would be the point?
I understand, completely, and I think that's a legit reason. I just distrust when people won't disclose even their hobbies.

As Antlered said, so much for socialization; but on a large board like this, I can understand why some would be reticent, especially with all the ID theft and stalking crap going around.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM

Eh, I just figure they are lazy. That's my excuse.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
With all due respect, that's just the kind of snack I've seen many trolls dangle off the bridge.

Only in time can you establish a rep - until then, we plan to keep you in chains and on a diet of moldy bread and rancid water.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Eh, I just figure they are lazy. That's my excuse.
LOL - at least you're honest about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics