Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Flavoring Suspected in Illness

Calif. Considers Banning Chemical Used in Microwave Popcorn.

SOUTH GATE, Calif. -- She was once in constant motion; her co-workers compared her to a roadrunner because of the way she darted around the workplace. But now Irma Ortiz sits at the edge of her couch, too winded to sweep her patio or walk her son to school without resting. She is slowly suffocating.

Ortiz, 44, is among a group of California food-flavoring workers recently diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare and life-threatening form of fixed obstructive lung disease. Also known as popcorn workers lung, because it has turned up in workers at microwave-popcorn factories, the disease destroys the lungs. A transplant is the only cure.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,539,708 times
John1960, you and Dingler come up with the strangest topics. I think Vasinger must have sold his "thread starter" kit!

Five easy ways to begin a conversation at a dead party...

How about rats with cancer respond to prayer...

Tobacco beetles cure lung cancer...

My foot hurts, anyone know why? DOH, must be in my mouth again! neg point! neg point!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:51 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,469 times
When I read the topic, I thought it meant that the people were eating the popcorn while IN the microwave.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:00 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Flavoring Suspected in Illness
Calif. Considers Banning Chemical Used in Microwave Popcorn.
SOUTH GATE, Calif. -- She was once in constant motion; her co-workers compared her to a roadrunner because of the way she darted around the workplace. But now Irma Ortiz sits at the edge of her couch, too winded to sweep her patio or walk her son to school without resting. She is slowly suffocating.
Ortiz, 44, is among a group of California food-flavoring workers recently diagnosed with bronchiolitis obliterans, a rare and life-threatening form of fixed obstructive lung disease. Also known as popcorn workers lung, because it has turned up in workers at microwave-popcorn factories, the disease destroys the lungs. A transplant is the only cure.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Without reading the info at the link I can tell you that this is relatively old news. The "butter" used in the microwave popcorn is extremely bad for you - I think I read about this 2 years ago (it's not real butter). Combine that with the fact that popcorn itself isn't good for you (ask any gastrointestinal surgeon/Dr.) because any swallowed kernal shells literally cut up your intestinal lining and many times get stuck in it (when they get stuck sometimes they remain benign while skin grows around it). I think it is rather safe and conservative to state that staying away from popcorn isn't a bad idea for anyone's health.

I love popcorn though - so this isn't easy news for me to swallow

Old 05-07-2007, 05:03 PM

926 posts, read 1,460,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Without reading the info at the link I can tell you that this is relatively old news. The "butter" used in the microwave popcorn is extremely bad for you - I think I read about this 2 years ago (it's not real butter). Combine that with the fact that popcorn itself isn't good for you (ask any gastrointestinal surgeon/Dr.) because any swallowed kernal shells literally cut up your intestinal lining and many times get stuck in it (when they get stuck sometimes they remain benign while skin grows around it). I think it is rather safe and conservative to state that staying away from popcorn isn't a bad idea for anyone's health.

I love popcorn though - so this isn't easy news for me to swallow
I think that could be a case for many things...peanuts being another. Diverticulitis, (sp?), can be a result of some of these, 'foods'.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,767,542 times
Ok, heres a popcorn story for all of you...who doesn't love popcorn at the movies?? My Mom was once a manager of a movie theatre chain in New York. They would send her to different movie theatres to train the staff. Well, on one visit to an upscale theatre in Manhattan, she asked them how often they cleaned out that big butter dispenser. You just poured the fake butter into the top after removing the lid. Well, it turns out, they just kept pouring. When my Mom opened up the top and got on a ladder, several mice were floating on top.....

Old 05-07-2007, 05:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
My. husband has eaten microwave popcorn almost every night since it came out..He even crunches the kernals..How long can I expect to keep a big supply of microwave popcorn on hand? Oh, did you say which one is the most harmful...Thank you for this valuable thread

Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Does setting it on fire count?

Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
Well at least they are dieing for a good cause ?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM

155 posts, read 941,997 times
The smell of that c($*P cooking in the micro is enough to kill someone. Makes me nausious everytime some one makes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics