Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,171,193 times

Advertisements

This afternoon, I turned onto my street from a main road. I'm going about 15 mph because my driveway is about 150' ahead. This moron ran a stop sign and almost T-boned me. We were both slamming on brakes and he started yelling at ME for going too fast! I put my car in park in front of my neighbor's and was in the middle of the road yelling at this idiot. I can't believe how angry I was, but I've seen people run that stop sign for ages & the city won't do anything.

I wanted to hit the guy.
Anybody else ever felt this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 09:02 PM

23,020 posts, read 34,397,699 times
I think you're lucky he didn't shoot you. No matter how angry you get, don't ever get out of your car, it's too dangerous.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:20 PM

134 posts, read 438,889 times
I've had a few close calls while driving in my lifetime, but I try to remain mellow while in traffic. Maybe the other driver is inexperienced or having a bad day. Who knows what's going on in people's heads. Also, I believe some people are just jerks and keep as much distance as I can from them. My job requires driving all over the country and I've seen my share of crazy stuff, but most of the time, I don't think it's personal.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
People in the act of road rage are dangerous as a loaded gun and I try to ignore them. If they want the road, I pull over if I can. When I was real young, I would get mad pretty easy, but my rage usually never went any farther than "the bird", I would not do that now. I try to avoid a person who seems mad, by outrunning them in my Monte..Thats fun!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:30 AM

90 posts, read 385,273 times
I understand exactly how you feel. I ride my bicycle to work and I can't believe how many people could care less that I'm on the road as well as them. I follow the road rules on my bike and I always stay as far over as the road will allow. People intentionally drive to the right side of the lane as to cut me close, turn close enough in front of me as to make me skid to a stop, and just as happened to you they will run the stop sign with no concern what so ever that I'm right there. Just about a month ago I had a young woman in a SUV, with 2 children in car seats, almost literally run me over trying to turn the corner in front of me so she wouldn't have to slow down. As she's going around the corner, flips ME the bird, and keeps going. I was hoping she would stop, because I was ready to pull her out of that precious SUV through the air conditioning vent and teach her how to drive.

RUDE PEOPLE SUCK!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,050,321 times
One of my friends was bicycling and some idiot on a cell phone turned in front of him and my friend flipped up over the hood of this guy's SUV. My friend was lying on the ground hurt and in shock and this guy stayed in his car talking on his phone for a few minutes, then got out - still on the phone - and chuckled to whoever it was he was talking to that "Some guy just hit the front of my car."

Old 05-10-2007, 07:00 AM

90 posts, read 385,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
One of my friends was bicycling and some idiot on a cell phone turned in front of him and my friend flipped up over the hood of this guy's SUV. My friend was lying on the ground hurt and in shock and this guy stayed in his car talking on his phone for a few minutes, then got out - still on the phone - and chuckled to whoever it was he was talking to that "Some guy just hit the front of my car."

How can someone be so cold hearted? I don't get it. And to stand there and laugh about it! That's cold blooded. But yet, turn the tables and let that be one of HIS loved ones lying there hurt, Lord have mercy, the world is ending.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Sunshine girl (and All) I see plenty of stunts every day (I drive a big truck and average 2,000-2,500 miles a week). I used to get so mad but piloting an 80,000 rig puts things in perspective for you IN A HURRY! Just like the good car drivers, you develop a VERY good sixth sense about when the other guy is going to do something stupid and plan for it. I guess my biggest frustration is other drivers (yep, my fellow professionals do it, too) that play "Beat the truck to the orange barrels". You guys don't know how tempting it is to run the idiot into the barrels, but I just can't...

I haul out of a warehouse that's just off a freeway exit. There is a traffic light at the end of a somewhat steep overpass after we cross over the interstate on the return trip. Most of the locals understand us and are safe and courteous in that area. But the occasional "Speed Racer" can't wait until we get up to speed and zooms around us to turn right at the light. Last winter, after a light dusting of snow, I saw a guy trying the same thing and I decided not to back off. He flew around me, hit the brakes and promptly skidded into the yard of the car dealership across the corner. No damage except to his pride. But I bet he won't do THAT again...

Old 05-10-2007, 09:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
Crewchief, my son is a truck driver ,so I can sure see where you are coming from. People don't understand that you can't stop or slow down like the cars can. Mainly they are very stupid for tailgating you.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:19 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,541,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Crewchief, my son is a truck driver ,so I can sure see where you are coming from. People don't understand that you can't stop or slow down like the cars can. Mainly they are very stupid for tailgating you.
AMEN, Bue62! I'm sure your son and I have a LOT of the same kinds of stories! I work for a large truckload carrier and deliver to a retail chain's stores in OH, KY and IN. In all fairness, "stupid" isn't limited to car drivers, though... I was amazed to learn that over 300 trucks have wrecked on the "Cut in the Hill" on I-71/75 going North into Cincinnati over the last 3 years.

Sigh...we just need more driver's ed for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics