Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2010, 04:44 AM

67 posts, read 227,630 times

Advertisements

Hello,

what's your opinion about Schadenfreude? Do you think it can be deserved to feel that way, do you sometimes feel malicious joy yourself or do you think it's something totally unacceptable?

I'm just wondering because I've to admit I feel joy about a colleague's blunder which might get him into some trouble. Usually I don't wish anything bad happen to people but this particular person has a real nasty character and is full of himself.

Somehow I feel guilty that I feel Schadenfreude but then I tell myself this person got what he deserved. I'm not talking about my feelings, I don't show him my pleasure. It's rather a quiet joy. Does it make it any better?

What do you think?

Last edited by 2goldens; 01-06-2010 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,072,643 times
Much of our modern humor and media entertainment is based on obtaining joy or pleasure at seeing another person have a bad time of something or worse. If it's a fantasy like a fiction movie it's OK to show joy derived from someones misfortune. If it's is a real situation it would be rude and hurtful to exhibit joy from seeing some poor sot having a real bad time.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:25 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,452,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Hello,

what's your opinion about Schadenfreude? Do you think it can be deserved to feel that way, do you sometimes feel malicious joy yourself or do you think it's something totally unacceptable?

I'm just wondering because I've to admit I feel joy about a colleague's blunder which might get him into some trouble. Usually I don't wish anything bad happen to people but this particular person has a real nasty character and is full of himself.

Somehow I feel guilty that I feel Schadenfreude but then I tell myself this person got what he deserved. I'm not talking about my feelings, I don't show him my pleasure. It's rather a quiet joy. Does it make it any better?

What do you think?
I'm not sure I actually find joy in another's misfortune, or misery, but I have to admit there is a certain feeling of satisfaction in knowing some 'come-into-their-own' so to speak. I have had bosses over the years who could make a person's life a living hell, but I would try to counsel colleagues not to let it get to them, that the boss would eventually get his (or hers). Truth be told, it always did work out that way.

And in HS, all those many years back, the IT girls seem to show up at a reunion looking worse than the rest of us, or have been stuck as the IT girl from the 1970s. Oh, LOL.

I keep hearing that tune running through my head -- "can I get a witness?"

Old 01-06-2010, 09:56 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
what's your opinion about Schadenfreude?

If they were on Wall Street, corporate leaders or a CEO of some corporations that have NOT been running the business with the consumer in mind and general public in mind ~ then they all deserve what they get or worse. I would like to see them expand “hell” to make enough room for all of them, especially for those on the “board of directors” of insurance companies.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:15 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,721,399 times
It makes me feel malicious joy, sometime, though sometimes I'll just feel bad for the person. It sort of depends. I certainly love Avenue Q's song about it though!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,212,851 times
I had to look up "Schadenfreude" - never heard of it before but if it means finding pleasure in someone else's misfortune, when it's a Bernie Madoff, yes, I'm glad he got what was coming to him. Otherwise, no, I don't take pleasure in someone else's misfortune.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:48 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I had to look up "Schadenfreude" - never heard of it before but if it means finding pleasure in someone else's misfortune, when it's a Bernie Madoff, yes, I'm glad he got what was coming to him. Otherwise, no, I don't take pleasure in someone else's misfortune.
Glad you looked it up because I didn't know what it was, either. I don't speak German.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,406,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I'm not sure I actually find joy in another's misfortune, or misery, but I have to admit there is a certain feeling of satisfaction in knowing some 'come-into-their-own' so to speak. I have had bosses over the years who could make a person's life a living hell, but I would try to counsel colleagues not to let it get to them, that the boss would eventually get his (or hers). Truth be told, it always did work out that way.
I've seen that with people who've been rotten to others, sometimes with spectacular results!

I've heard the term as someone getting their comeuppance.

I've only ever heard come into one's own to mean to succeed against difficult odds.

http://www.learn-english-today.com/idioms/idiom-categories/success-failure-idioms.htm (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics