Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:04 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,014 times

Advertisements

People use to tell me I was one of the best conversationalists they had ever known. My mind is full of ideas and I am very well read about a thousand different things. I also have a talkative nature and can always think of things to say.

In general I am known as Mr. Friendly and most people like me, except on the street where I live (see my other post). Though in the last few years I have had a harder time meeting new people. I do not think I have changed that much, other people have. I rarely meet anyone now days who seems to have a gift of gab, or the ability to make small talk and keep the conversation moving on their end. It gets difficult when I am doing most of the conversation.

I feel the Internet and Instant Messaging on cell phones have eliminated many people's skills in small talk. How about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 02:33 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,536 times
Nice day today, isn't it? Think it might rain later??

LOL- I agree- I also think common courtesy tends to go out the window when words are typed rather than spoken- and humor gets lost as well.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post

LOL- I agree- I also think common courtesy tends to go out the window when words are typed rather than spoken- and humor gets lost as well.
As well as the subtly of sarcasm, irony, etc.

We want to see a good handle there Dingler!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:43 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Gee, I don't know guys. I never, ever seem to be at a loss for words! in fact, people can't get me to shut the hell up!!! Why, just look how many posts I've made thus far. If I'm not yapping in real life, arguing in a courtroom, or talking to myself, I'm on this and every other forum known to mankind spreading my good natured cheer and useless information to anyone and everyone who will listen!

Now come on, you know THAT deserves some rep points!

Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Are you kidding??? I'm a Truck Driver (with a Cee Bee Law De-gree) I know everything about anything and have waaay too much time to tell ya about it!

Old 05-21-2007, 04:53 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Twinkle Toes, yer welcome on the rep points! BTW, they sure screwed up those dinosaur scultures at Cabazon when they landscaped around 'em...

Old 05-21-2007, 08:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Some people don't want to talk unless they really have something to say.

In my experience, people who are the most talented at small talk don't talk much about themselves. The best small talkers (and thus, the ones most rewarded with positive feedback) are the people who draw out their companion--ask questions of him or her about themselves.
This can be a strong beginning to a friendship, and it can forever cement it.

I agree that texting and the internet have diminished person-to-person contact, however they have also enabled people thousands of miles apart to remain in touch....a bit of a trade-off I suppose.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,235,392 times
Well, if the people you meet are anything like me, when you are doing all that talking, anything pass 3 minutes you're talking to a wall, lol, as my mind is racing and thinking and planning in a million other directions.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:23 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,345,372 times
No problems here... but then again, I am of Irish descent and you know what they say about having the gift of gab... runs in my family definitely!!

Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,728,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate girl View Post

Yes, but the rain will not hurt the rhubarb if it is in cans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics