Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
I feel like the people from City-Data have become my friends and so I need to share my latest scare with someone other than my husband. He took care of the problem, but thinks I'm silly for getting upset. This evening, my daughters and I were out in the backyard practicing their softball skills. My husband was up at the fire station meeting with his fireman buddies. Upon completion of our softball session, the girls and I went on out to the garden to pick some of the squash. I was bent down parting the large green leaves of the plant to expose the yellow buds when my oldest exclaimed, "What is that?" I looked down and right upon my flip-flopped foot would appear to be the largest tarantula I've ever seen crawling across my foot. It was about 5 inches in diameter and had babies hanging on its back. We all three screamed as I kicked it off and we sprinted to the house. Of course the girls took off on their own, before me, with intentions of saving themselves. Anyway, because of my lifelong arachnophobia, this was traumatizing for me. I can still feel it crawling on my foot. If any of you have read some of my posts on the Texas forum, you would know that we have seen these occasionally where we live, but never this big. My husband came home when I called him and he went out to kill it. He admitted that it was the largest one he'd seen around here, but he has been laughing at my state of distress ever since. I have to wonder, am I the only one that turns into a big baby over spiders?

No youre not. I was on a jobsite once, not that long ago, where some sheetrock was in the way of an outlet that needed to be checked out. As I was sliding it out of the way, this HUGE tarantula came RUNNING out from behind it, towards me, and yes, I jumped back, dropped about 4 sheets of drywall, every sheet split too but I didnt care, and ran like heck! Of course to this day, now I look before moving anything. Spiders, scorps, tarantulas, whatever, dont have a place in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 03:12 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,333 times
Ok - I know this was originally posted a long time ago - But I am cracking up! There are tears in my eyes - I got this image while I was reading of me out there with my own kids going through this - except I'm still screaming LOL.......your not alone.....I'd still be running - Like Forrest Gump!

Old 01-25-2008, 04:12 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
My daughter had a friend who totaled her car because a spider was in it and she freaked. Luckily no one was hurt.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:44 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,673 times
My husband would've screamed "like a girl" if that humungous spider crawled across his foot! If it had been a snake then I would've peed myself and probably never stopped running!

Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
My husband would've screamed "like a girl" if that humungous spider crawled across his foot! If it had been a snake then I would've peed myself and probably never stopped running!

Funny you mention that. Way back when I was married, my husband too, was scared to death of spiders. We were driving to Az from Calif to visit his sister in Show Low, when along came a spider from the sun visor, dropping slowly on a web, onto the steering wheel of the van. Yep, he reacted just as I would have, and nearly wrecked us all, but his dad was in the front seat and managed to take control of the wheel before he lost it. Needless to say, he also took over the driving, the rest of the way there.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:14 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,376 times
I'd have probably pee'd myself... amoungst other things!

Funny story: I went on a vacation with my Mom and Grandma (rip) to Hawaii. We rented a condo there. So, one afternoon, I decided to head to the laundry room to do some laundry. My Mom thought I'd drop the laundry off and come right back, but once I got there, thre was oodles and oodles of trashy romance novels on some book shelves in there. Being 15, you know I had to stick around and read all the naughty bits in the books. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/citadel.gif (broken link)

After a while, my Mom started worrying about where I was and came looking for me. Just as she entered the door of the laundry room, a HUGE cockroach (which the locals refer to as "Kona Cruisers... 'cuz they're gigantic), fell from the top of the door frame and right down my Mom's top.

She freaked out (who wouldn't) and ran, screaming, from the laundry room, across the courtyard (where all the patios of the condos faced) and ripping her top off as she ran!

That had to be a sight!!!! http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/crackup.gif (broken link)

Old 01-25-2008, 05:55 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
It's been my experience that even the phatest oldest ol phart like me can usually outrun the nimblest tarantula

Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 AM

23 posts, read 91,876 times
Hay,
I am so sorry you went thru that.
I am beyond terrified of creepy crawlies, I don't know what a 'T' looks like, and pray to god I never find out.
Your post reduced me to tears, and I felt your fear..
I am from Australia, and my hubby originally from Lubbock,Txs,but living in Phx Az
I only found out last year that these beasts are in Az, and therefore refuse to live there.
We decided on NM, as it is a bit cooler, but reading posts on this site has made me decide against it.
And back to the same question,what state in the USA are these beasts NOT in?
God forbid, if I saw one, I know I will die of shock, I am so afraid of all the 'devil creatures', not just the T's..
Before I go into a room, I always check there is nothing in the ceiling corners or on the walls.
Hubby thinks I am insane, as he is fascinated with all that stuff, but for me it is a real phobia that has controlled my life.
I don't know what to tell you, other than I think you are brave.
Maybe get someone to come spray around the house & yard??..
Take Care
Ange ..
[/i][/i][/i][/i]

Old 02-19-2008, 09:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
Well, I do apologize to all of the tarantula lovers out there. Actually I didn't kill it, my husband did. Perhaps I should have asked it in for a soft drink and some cookies. I have to say the reason my husband killed it was because it was bigger than my youngest daughter's foot and she refused to go back outside until he killed it. There are still plenty of spiders outside to take care of those nasty things you speak of. I would rather my children be outside getting excercise and sun than stay huddled in the house to preserve the life of a monster tarantula and her babies.
Well I hope youre happy. You just killed a innocent WOLF SPIDER and her babies, out of obnoxious fear and, pardon me (for lack of better word), stupidity. TARANTULAS DO NOT CARRY BABIES AROUND WITH THEM!!! Yep, you just killed a wolf spider, not even remotely close to a tarantula. That same spider you just killed has probably eaten more cockroaches and other harmful bugs that you can think of. Dont be so quick to kill things, especially things you know NOTHING about.

And another thing to feel silly about? Tarantulas are HARMLESS and generally very gentle. Get over your fears and quit hackin harmless creatures to death because you dont know a damn thing about them. Educate yourselves, people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for flying off the handle here, but thats ridiculous!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,182,644 times
Steve-o, congrats for defending the spiders. You have every right.

I, however, am like the OP, and cannot stand spiders...at all. I freak out just as much as the OP, maybe worse. I even had the nerve to watch Arachnophobia and had nightmares for about a year. I just don't like bugs, any of them. I have my DH kill them if I see them in our apartment or immediately call the management office if I see any in our area. Ewww....I am glad I skimmed over the original story or else I would be having nightmares tonight. And yes, I agree logically that I should be ok re spiders, like you say Steve-o, but my mind just can't agree. <<<<cowering in a corner>>>>>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics