Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 05:03 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,447,321 times

Advertisements

The difference between the North and the South - at last, clearly explained....

The North has Bloomingdale’s, the South has Dollar General.

The North has coffee houses, the South has Waffle Houses.

The North has dating services, the South has family reunions.

The North has switchblade knives; the South has .45's

The North has double last names; the South has double first names.

The North has Indy car races; The South has stock car races .

North has Cream of Wheat, the South has grits.

The North has green salads, the South has collard greens.

The North has lobsters, the South has crawfish.

The North has the rust belt; the South has the Bible Belt.

FOR NORTHERNERS MOVING SOUTH. .....

In the South: --If you run your car into a ditch, don't panic. Four men in a four-wheel drive pickup truck with a tow chain will be along shortly. Don't try to help them, just stay out of their way. This is what they live for.

Don't be surprised to find movie rentals and bait in the same store... Do not buy food at this store.

Remember, 'Y'all' is singular, 'all y'all' is plural, and 'all y'all's' is plural possessive

Get used to hearing 'You ain't from round here, are ya?'

Save all manner of bacon grease. You will be instructed later on how to use it.

Don't be worried at not understanding what people are saying. They can't understand you either. The first Southern statement to creep into a transplanted Northerner's vocabulary is the adjective 'big'ol,' truck or 'big'ol' boy. Most Northerners begin their Southern-influenced dialect this way. All of them are in denial about it.

The proper pronunciation you learned in school is no longer proper.

Be advised that 'He needed killin..' is a valid defense here.

If you hear a Southerner exclaim, 'Hey, y'all watch this,' you should stay out of the way. These are likely to be the last words he'll ever say.

If there is the prediction of the slightest chance of even the smallest accumulation of snow, your presence is required at the local grocery store. It doesn't matter whether you need anything or not. You just have to go there.

Do not be surprised to find that 10-year olds own their own shotguns, they are proficient marksmen, and their mammas taught them how to aim.

In the South, we have found that the best way to grow a lush green lawn is to pour gravel on it and call it a driveway.

AND REMEMBER: If you do settle in the South and bear children, don't think we will accept them as Southerners.
After all, if the cat has kittens in the oven, we ain't gonna call 'em biscuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 11:36 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,234,088 times
I dearly love all the comparison of North and South. Gimme the South any ol' day.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,297,154 times
Had to laugh especially at the one about grocery stores and the prediction of snow! (had to laugh cause it's so true!!)

Old 05-28-2010, 01:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,375,725 times
If you want hot tea in the South be sure to say so. Be prepared for a strange look from the server. This is iced tea country.

We call them French fries. Yankees call them cottage fries.

We shorten "Howdy" to "Hi-dee." We do not think your name is "dee." We are simply being friendly-like.

If you are from Cook County, IL. practice adding a word or two after you end a sentence with "with."
For instance, "We're going to the movie. Want to go with?"
Southerners will be waiting for the end of the sentence. With what, with who. After a year in Chicago I started ending sentences with "with."

If you run into my relatives on Long Island please tell them that "No. She does not have marbles in her mouth when she talks."

Folks down here often change one syllable words into two or more syllables. For instance. My BIL's name is Chris and my sister pronounces it as two syllables. It's down right funny. I almost bust a gut when I hear it.

When we say "fixin" we do not mean be are repairing anything. We are simply getting ready to do something. "I'm fixin' to go to the store."

Some of the older folks in these parts will be glad to "carry you to the store." That means they will give you a ride in the car to the store. My grandmother could not have possibly picked you up physically.

Hi-dee, y'all. Be sure to come back now, ya' hear?

Last edited by Ketabcha; 05-28-2010 at 01:40 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 01:25 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,350,177 times
Young Lisa this is darn sci-an-tific. God bless the South!!!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:46 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,056,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Had to laugh especially at the one about grocery stores and the prediction of snow! (had to laugh cause it's so true!!)
I didn't get that one ...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:19 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,209,508 times
I pert near blew Dr. Pepper through my snot box.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:37 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,056,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I pert near blew Dr. Pepper through my snot box.
Thanks for er ... um ... sharing ....

Old 05-28-2010, 07:15 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,779,636 times
I resemble them there comparisons.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,093,364 times
You need to do one about southerners moving up north. My friend is from Georgia and he's a fish out of water up here. I always get a kick of it too when I see someone in a cowboy hat and a NASCAR-themed suitcase trying to read a subway map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics