Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
It was once considered impossible to control automatic processes like your heart rate or blood pressure or temperature.
You most certainly couldn't not feel pain if you were stuck with a needle.
Hypnosis and various other methods are now taught so you can do these things.

Perhaps Reiiki doesn't work the way it's practitioners think it does but I see no reason to pooh-pooh it entirely or attribute any success with it as 'magic' or or miracle
A few years ago Acupuncture and Acupressure were seen as "quackery treatments" now there accepted forms of medical treatment. One day Reiki treatment will take it's ranks amoung "accepted" treatment. I have a couple of friends that pratice Reiki, I see nothing wrong in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 12:20 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Thanks to all the posters here for your responses. This is all interesting reading and I enjoy your perspectives. Keep them coming.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:22 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Just another scam artist or snake oil salesman scamming the gullible. They victimize people that go absolutely stupid when someone plays the 'god' card and will accept any absurdity.
This is what I thought too when I first heard about it, but I wanted get different perspectives on it. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 PM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
This is what I thought too when I first heard about it, but I wanted get different perspectives on it. Thanks.
The ways I view "spiritual healing": It is an ability of the spirit, not a gift of the spirit because everyone has that ability. A gift is something that is given to you, an ability is something you are naturally endowed with.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:50 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
A few years ago Acupuncture and Acupressure were seen as "quackery treatments" now there accepted forms of medical treatment. One day Reiki treatment will take it's ranks amoung "accepted" treatment. I have a couple of friends that pratice Reiki, I see nothing wrong in it.
No, acupuncture and acupressure are still considered unproven quackery.
Be Wary of Acupuncture, Qigong, and "Chinese Medicine"

Old 11-29-2011, 06:40 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,326,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No, acupuncture and acupressure are still considered unproven quackery.
Be Wary of Acupuncture, Qigong, and "Chinese Medicine"
The problem with sites like these is they are bias to any view that opposes their own. They don't show reports that state otherwise. They only show reports that support their own view. I could show you many links to reports that show the effectiveness of reiki, accupressure, and the like.
You of course would not accept them as they are from sites that support the practice. I have not found one site that is neutral to this sort of thing. I. Guess it all boils down to what site you want to believe and what view you want to take.

The river tells no lies, but the dishonest man standing on the banks still hears lies.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:46 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I met this woman who is into New Age and said she was going to see her "enlightenment teacher" and "spiritual healer." What in God's name is this all about? I had never heard of "New Age" or this concept of a "spiritual healer."

Somebody please, "enlighten" me.
"Spiritual healer" = someone who is getting rich off of stupid people. It's almost magical how those dollars pile up in the account.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:09 PM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
The problem with sites like these is they are bias to any view that opposes their own. They don't show reports that state otherwise. They only show reports that support their own view. I could show you many links to reports that show the effectiveness of reiki, accupressure, and the like.
You of course would not accept them as they are from sites that support the practice. I have not found one site that is neutral to this sort of thing. I. Guess it all boils down to what site you want to believe and what view you want to take.

The river tells no lies, but the dishonest man standing on the banks still hears lies.
Did you miss the many instances of research done by AMA and other credible groups on these quack remedies...Never mind what the site says, just look at the research....I'll bet you just glanced at the site and came up with your bias claim...

I'm sure there ARE many sites supporting these practices, but is there any evidence that any are valid, other than meaningless testimonials?

Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Yes I have. I was once just like you. Then one day I realized that I had an opinion about such things that was formed because I misunderstood. My desire to understand grew and then I experienced what I never thought I would. I saw firsthand spiritual healing. Since then, I have been treated, and treat those that seek it out.
Same. I have seen a quadriplegic woman become paraplegic. I also used a lot of new age stuff in the process of regaining my hearing. So I have both witnessed and firsthand experienced healing through new age things. Ever since, I believe in it adamantly. I also do energy work on friends and family, though I don't want to do it for money or make a profession out of it or anything. People can believe what they want, and they can disagree with me, but I can't argue with what I've experienced firsthand.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:58 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Placebos for the gullible, as far as I'm concerned...If you go see one of these nuts leave your wallet at home...
How do you explain people with medically recorded conditions that are then medically recorded to be gone? Conditions that are usually considered to be incurable (paralysis, deafness, for example)? Also how do you explain spiritual healers who don't charge money? There are a lot of them out there. They just aren't as heard about and talked about as the ones that charge up the wazoo. Yes, there are phonies out there to make a buck but that doesn't mean that all spiritual healing is a scam. The most authentic spiritual healers you'll meet are the ones who are willing to do healing on you in your living room for free, and who are willing to teach you their techniques so that you're not dependent on them for money. I never charge for my techniques and I always teach my friends and family so they can do it on themselves. And the techniques are just an approach--the energy itself has nothing to do with me. That's just a property of the Universe. I don't pretend to own that or have dibs on it or anything. Anyone has a connection to that energy and you don't have to go pay someone $500 an hour to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism