Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:19 PM

285 posts, read 1,206,006 times

Advertisements

What belief system would I fit into? I was raised and baptized as a jehovahs witness but I dont believe in that religion/cult anymore.
Please respect my beliefs and just figure what belief group would I fit into? : )

I believe in God! I call God either God and Father thats it for me! But I call God, God
I would like to be accepted into a church but nobody has my beliefs! I dont know what I am! Some Christians would judge me and call me evil!

If its alright I would like to tell you my beliefs and you can decide which religion I would fit into.

Higher Power: I do believe in a higher power that God is invisible and that God is spirit!
For Gods name I call him God or Father I find it inappropriate and disrespectful to call God by personal (if God even has one in the first place) I would never call my own father by his name I think it would be disrespectful and rude I call him dad because hes my dad! So why would I call God by his first name!

Jesus: I am conflicted with this a little bit. I believe that he existed but a part of me believes that he was just a very spiritual intellectual man who taught people to be peaceful and love one another to make the world a better place like a Buddha. Another part of me believe that he was a teacher but also the son who was a spirit and incarnated into a human to teach people about God and wanted to let people know that God wants the people on earth to love and be peaceful to another! Even though alot of evil people wanted to kill him! Like how I can see MLK not Jesus but another example like Jesus wanted to spread peace to people not to judge about their skin.

Trinity: I didnt believe it at first, and I didnt understand it! Plus I was raised as a jehovahs witness and they dont believe in the trinity they believe that "Jehovah" is Jesus father and the holy spirit is "Gods" "active force" so I wasnt taught to believe in the trinity.

But now when I thought about the Trinity, I can see where people believe in it. For example water can appear in 3 different states solid, liquid and gas they come in 3 different forms, but at the end of the day its still water.

Me: I have a body, mind and a spirit which is the soul all 3 in 1

Me again: I am a son, an uncle and a cousin all 3 in 1

So in a way I can believe in the Trinity!

Plus God made us in "his" image, if God made us into humans its possible "he" could turn into a human since God created us!

Spirits: I do believe in spirits HOWEVER I believe that everyone is a spirit in a way, the "ANGELS" were the good people who were on earth, and the "DEMONS" were the bad people who were here on earth, I also believe that there are spirits who were good humans yet something had bad happened to them when they died (murdered) and wants revenge and to get even to the person who killed them and want answers as well or to get out the truth from them!

Death/Afterlife: I believe that there is defenitley an afterlife, but I dont know specifically what happens. HOWEVER I can believe that we are spirits living in a human experience when we pass away we tell God what we've learned. I can believe that we can reincarnate a little bit because recently I noticed that in life that how everything is a cycle! The water cycle it can be solid like ice and changes to liquid and then when exposed to heat it evaporates and turns into a gas and it repeats again and again! I.E when it rains.

Also the sun it appears almost every day (Day,Night, Day, Night, Sun ,Moon, Sun, Moon, etc) Also the seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. Spring is birth, Summer is mature/adult, Fall is sickness and decline and Winter is death and the seasons repeats itself with Spring as rebirth and the cycle keeps on going! Plants can die but can grow again.

(THIS IS A THOUGHT NOT A BELIEF)
V
Who knows if we had a troubled life we could keep on rebirthing after we die until we learn and finally when we've learn and see what God wants us to understand we can finally be with God! Not saying this is a fact but this is a thought

Bible: I find it very complex I know that people would like the bible to peaceful but in reality that book has made a great divide in people spreading violence wars and hatred towards one another. Its nasty and it makes me angry when people had said God said that. When in reality man had wrote those words in that book NOT God! God is not a violent spirit as it portrays in the bible, personally I think the writers that wrote the bible ought to be ashamed of themselves. Plus there are contradictions in the bible which is changing one thought into another. I believe that God is perfect and that bible and the other holy books Quran and Torah are far from perfect.
But for the bible I do see some stories that have good intentions and good lessons, that we can learn from!

Heaven: I dont know about if its a place or a state

Hell: HOWEVER for hell I believe its just a state not a literal place, I believe people who are truly just wicked and heartless people, they will be lost

Abortion: I believe that killing unborn babies is wrong HOWEVER I believe a woman should have the choice to do so esp if it would threaten the unborn child and the womans life! Thats why I believe it should still be aloud to be practiced! I also find it evil when a woman is pregnant knowing that her baby will be very sick, suffering and dying after when the baby is born! Otherwise if the unborn baby or the women isnt in danger and the women still doesnt want the child I believe that they should have the baby and give it up for adoption because there are hundreds of thousands of couples who cant have children!

Homosexuality: God made everyone that is all, no one chooses who they love. As long as somebody genuinely loves another person whatever the gender is, it doesnt matter! I just believe when it comes to a man with a woman they have the ability to make another human being, but see they still have that love just as a man with a man who has love also and a woman with a woman also share love to one another!
There is nothing wrong with heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality, pansexuality and asexuality.
How I see it is that the benefit with heterosexuality is that you can reproduce or being with the opposite sex you can produce, with homosexuality and asexuality (lack of interest when it comes to sex) they both cant reproduce, I mean which is good, so the earth wouldnt be over populated!

Plus Im gay myself! lol

Evolution: I believe God created us, I believe weve adapted in ways over history but when it comes to evolution I dont believe in that.

Adam and Eve: I do believe that theyve existed but I dont believe in the fruit thing I believe that is just a story for moral reasons meaning to make the right choices in our lives or suffer the consequences whether good or bad!

Prayer: I do believe in prayer and that you can pray to God!

Meditation/yoga: I dont practice them but I want to start!

Magic: I also kind of believe in magic good and bad, however you shouldnt practice bad magic or else you will suffer bad karma. Im getting into practicing candle magic by reading about how to do it. I dont know if its going to work but im going to try.
Ive also bought a book that says that there are actually spells in the bible, certain scriptures that can be used for different purposes. I would just need a bible though, maybe ill get a liberal translation bible.
Im into palm readings as well, I like to have my palm read

I dont judge religions because I know that all the religions arent right or wrong. I believe it doesnt matter what you believe in because everybody is different and everybody wasn't raised in the same culture so everybody is going to have different beliefs. For me as long as you respect people and Gods creatures and just a good person in general then you will be with God when we pass away.

There are hundreds of thousands of religions, you think God really expects us to know which religion is right or wrong? I don't think so

SO WHAT BELIEF GROUPS WOULD I MOSTLY FIT INTO? : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 02:44 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
None really- my own view and beliefs are not a neat fit into anything either.
I'm most like pantheism, but some of what that rejects, or ignores is something I believe.
If you are looking for a 'church' to belong to, check out the Unitarians. I think that you would find many like yourself that question the same things you question as well as still holding on to some traditional beliefs, just in a different light.
Unitarians are understanding and cater to this diversity of individual belief.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Don't be in a rush to label yourself. One size doesn't fit all.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Since your beliefs fall along the Judeo-Christian axis, I suspect that the pagan forum is not the best place for you to ask.

Sorry.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Since your beliefs fall along the Judeo-Christian axis, I suspect that the pagan forum is not the best place for you to ask.

Sorry.
I think it's the perfect place to ask. Pagan is not a cut and dry form of belief, where as Christianity is.
Had he expressed this on a religious forum, he'd probably get smaked around a bit because he deviates from the Christian ways at times.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
A non-Standard Christian is a pagan in the Christian (read: dominant) worldview, so I think this is as good a place to ask as any.

However, I can't help you with your question. There may certainly be like minded people, though. Good luck.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
It's kind of a cop out to say this, but you'd probably find a comfortable home in a Unitarian Universalist church, which doesn't direct you to follow any particular belief system. UU churches are very gay friendly and typically have active pagan and meditation groups, but they have a Judeo-Christain heritage. If there is a congregation near where you live, you should check it out.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:43 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
You might want to investigate the Episcopal Church. The beliefs will vary according to whom you talk. However, there is one teaching that helps a lot of people

The Bible is the Word of God. BUT, (and this is important) it was written by Man, translated by Man, interpreted by Man, and Man makes mistakes.

You are supposed to read and study and THINK. The final decision is what YOU feel in your heart is right. If you believe something because someone told you that THEY know the way, it's not YOUR belief.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I agree with Owlkamystic...that you would definately fit into a Universalist Unitarian congregation. The UU's are a diverse, welcoming community.....in our opening statement the minister of my last church would say....."Welcome.....Who ever you are, where ever you come from, who ever you love.....where ever you are on your spiritual journey....You Are Welcome here."

You have obviously given your personal beliefs a great deal of thought....that is also typical of Universalist Unitarians. I hope that you find a congregation near you and give it a try. I think it might be a good fit. Good Luck.

The United Church of Christ (Congregational) is also a welcoming and liberal thinking church.....more Christian based than the UU's tend to be.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,643,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I agree with Owlkamystic...that you would definately fit into a Universalist Unitarian congregation. The UU's are a diverse, welcoming community.....in our opening statement the minister of my last church would say....."Welcome.....Who ever you are, where ever you come from, who ever you love.....where ever you are on your spiritual journey....You Are Welcome here."

You have obviously given your personal beliefs a great deal of thought....that is also typical of Universalist Unitarians. I hope that you find a congregation near you and give it a try. I think it might be a good fit. Good Luck.

The United Church of Christ (Congregational) is also a welcoming and liberal thinking church.....more Christian based than the UU's tend to be.
My minister says the same thing. He happens to be homosexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism