Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 PM

489 posts, read 621,490 times

Advertisements

I am a Christian, and every year, I hear apologetics about why Christians should not celebrate Halloween ( because it is based on pagan/ occult themes). I realized I have never really known a pagan, much less asked one how the average one celebrates this holiday today. I would be curious to know what significance this day has to you religiously, and how you celebrate it. Thank you in advance, for anyone who would want to post about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
I am a Christian, and every year, I hear apologetics about why Christians should not celebrate Halloween ( because it is based on pagan/ occult themes). I realized I have never really known a pagan, much less asked one how the average one celebrates this holiday today. I would be curious to know what significance this day has to you religiously, and how you celebrate it. Thank you in advance, for anyone who would want to post about it.

Thank you for asking. Like with anything we tend to celebrate it differently I'm sure.

For me personally I celebrate it as I am having dinner I sit a place out for those I have lost of late, not everyone of course just those who have say passed in the last couple of years or so. I cook food as if they had come over for dinner just like anyone else. As I sit down I invite them to come join me/us. I remember them by thinking of times that we had together & the memories I shared with them. I don't talk to them but I do talk to a fellow pagan/s who I have invited over about people who have passed. At the end of the meal I talk to food that I cooked for those I invited & sit them outside & give the rest to the Gods. It's more about remembering them then anything else, thats the way it is for me anyhow.

As a whole most Pagans believe tha this time of year the veil between worlds are at thier thinest allowing those loved ones to come visit us.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:37 PM

489 posts, read 621,490 times
Thanks for sharing. I think I had heard about the "veil" concept before. So, for you, it's mostly a time for honoring deceased family members?

Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing. I think I had heard about the "veil" concept before. So, for you, it's mostly a time for honoring deceased family members?

Family, friends some even seek advice from them. I guess it depends on thier path. But yes for me it's remembering those who have passed.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:00 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
The best one was a sort of hybred Halloween. I had a stuffed animal dressed as a vampire. (it was a BIG stuffed bear) and a table. I did my alter and it was sitting to the side unnoticed. and I had thirteen candles burning. I had this display of various real massacres with a stick and a death count to represent the real menace in the world. And I had candy and tomato juice (labeled blood) and cups. I ask if they wanted blood of tomato or candy.

Surprisingly I emptied the tomato juice that night. Everyone thought it was wonderful and 'spooky'. I don't think anyone noticed the alter or knew it had been used to define the space they entered.

My alter went inside and I did a private ceremony for myself, but there were lots of good energies all around.

I have a brand new porch here, (the old one was rotting out) but the kids are to few and far between.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:

One thing I did forget to add is that Samhain is also the Pagan new year.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
Hi CA mom,
Jusy to add a tiny bit of clairification- Not a pagan new year to all pagans- Samhain (pronounced sow-in) is Celtic in origin and not all pagans follow the Celtic path.
In these modern times, Samhain is one of 8 Wiccan Sabbats. Other Sabbats have been absorbed into modern culture such as Groundhogs day which is Imbolc.

As for the occult aspect, it bothers me that religious leaders call Halloween occult which leads to what they are saying is occult. That is just an attempt at brainwashing.
By definition, occult simply means hidden knowledge. The knowledge was hidden not because it was bad or evil, but because it gave people power and that was a threat to the early church. The tradition lives on today.
Occult is not about blood sacrifice or doing harm. Back when spirituality and science was studied together by alchemists, their scientific findings had to be kept hidden. To share such a discovery would be heresy. I'm sure the alchemists valued their lives so kept the knowledge hidden.

I fall under the outskirts of the pagan umbrella. I dress up and hand out candy, carve pumpkins and all that stuff for the sake of fun!
However, I do know the origin and purpose for all the traditions.
Way back when, turnips were carved, not pumpkins. That would be wasteful.
Dressing up made it so the bad spirits would not recognize a living human and bother them. We humans had to blend in to be safe.

I tend to be a bit sensitive and have an odd connection with death and the dead. I do not happen to notice any thinning of a veil between here and the spirit world. If a ghost or spirit wants to be noticed, it will do so when ever it chooses to.
However, All Saints Day and Dia de Los Muertos coincide with Halloween and have that same theme of respect and honor for the dead.

Last edited by OwlKaMyst; 10-30-2012 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Corrected autocorrects mistakes

Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
I'm not a follower of any indigenous Celtic religion so for me Halloween is a cherished childhood holiday with costumes and candy.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:57 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Being part Irish, part Seneca and all Discordian pantheist, I celebrate it the way most people do -- by leaving apples for the ghosts and dressing up (this year I was an ant -- my power animal for this half of this year). Tonite I finish carving the pumpkins, roast the seeds, light them up and then we all watch scary movies together. Vincent Price anyone?

Old 11-03-2012, 02:34 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
It has no religious meaning at all. I like the little kids in costumes, though, and the miniature candy bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism