Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Christians wear little crosses. Other faiths have their symbols which show the world that someone is of that faith. Pagan faiths have their symbols too.

Do you choose to advertise? Do you wear something which may draw attention, as we can wear our symbols just as others can? Do you keep it more quiet?

I call myself eclectic wiccan, with strong 'green' connections. I also love silver, and have a beautiful combo of the triple godess and a pent in 91 percent silver which goes on a choaker. Funny in California I had people try to 'save' me but in the bible belt nobody bothers me about it. But I also have other things, like a necklace of knitted cord and a crystal, snowflake obsidion, and obsision. All three pieces came to me in a special way and that makes it a good protection symbol.

Where you live, and in your belief, are the symbols understood or noticed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:16 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I keep mine under my hat.

Literally.

Over the years, I've come across hundreds of bird feathers. Most of the small ones I tuck into the inner band of whatever cap I'm wearing that day. I'm now the proud owner of several, feather-stuffed hats. (With every new one I pick up and place, my GF mutters "Birdbrain.") I keep larger ones in wooden, clay, or stone holders around the house.

I often wear a fossilized stone around my neck which contains the earthly remains of a millions-years- deceased Trilobite-type creature and usually a woven wrist bracelet on my right arm. Whether these items "say" anything about my beliefs, I have no idea.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Too late to edit, so I'll add that I also carry a small stone in my pocket etched with a figure of a Great Blue Heron. The heron is eldest among my totems.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Christians wear little crosses. Other faiths have their symbols which show the world that someone is of that faith. Pagan faiths have their symbols too.

Do you choose to advertise? Do you wear something which may draw attention, as we can wear our symbols just as others can? Do you keep it more quiet?

I call myself eclectic wiccan, with strong 'green' connections. I also love silver, and have a beautiful combo of the triple godess and a pent in 91 percent silver which goes on a choaker. Funny in California I had people try to 'save' me but in the bible belt nobody bothers me about it. But I also have other things, like a necklace of knitted cord and a crystal, snowflake obsidion, and obsision. All three pieces came to me in a special way and that makes it a good protection symbol.

Where you live, and in your belief, are the symbols understood or noticed?
I don't advertise my religion, but I wear my pentacle like a Christian might wear a cross. If someone wants to know, they can ask.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
I wear an assortment of emblems of my power animals, or animals, that represent the forces I am trying to focus on at that moment. I also wear golden apple and pentagon charms depending on whether I want to focus on order or chaos that day.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Wow, nobody else on this whole forum?

A co-worker just started wearing this immanse, ornate, sterling silver pentagram around her neck. If she weren't one of those people who talks you to death I might want to ask her about it.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Wow, nobody else on this whole forum?

A co-worker just started wearing this immanse, ornate, sterling silver pentagram around her neck. If she weren't one of those people who talks you to death I might want to ask her about it.
I wonder about people who bling thier faith.

And for the question of wearing something that reflects what I believe; well, I have a shirt with an owl wearing glasses that says 'Its not how you look, but how you see'. And I have the string of religous symbols that spell out 'coexist' tee shirt.
Not really 'wearing' but is something of an extention of the concept; I have bumper stickers 'LOVE is our SOUL purpose' and 'I would rather "Thank the Goddess" which includes God, than "Thank God" which excludes the goddess'. Which for me is more of a statement about equality and balance than it is about religion.

Old 09-05-2013, 04:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I wonder about people who bling thier faith.

And for the question of wearing something that reflects what I believe; well, I have a shirt with an owl wearing glasses that says 'Its not how you look, but how you see'. And I have the string of religous symbols that spell out 'coexist' tee shirt.
Not really 'wearing' but is something of an extention of the concept; I have bumper stickers 'LOVE is our SOUL purpose' and 'I would rather "Thank the Goddess" which includes God, than "Thank God" which excludes the goddess'. Which for me is more of a statement about equality and balance than it is about religion.
I wear a small, high quality silver pent. I figure if people can wear crosses and so forth then I can wear mine. It's not huge and my earring, which I make for a hobby, is probably more noticable. I agree about huge blatent things, that they may not say what you want. What I want is my beliefs to be as respected and unremarkable as christan ones, and I won't hide, but I'm not making a big show. Plus I LOVE silver jewelry and would be wearing something silver. I also wear symbolic things like the choaker with three stones, a crystal, an obsidion aero shape, and a piece of snowflake obsidion. Its about protection and enlightenment. People do notice it but like it. But its symbolism is just for me. All the stones were either finds or gifts so they have personal meaning.

I used to have a bumper sticker when I had a car that said Born Again, and again and again ...

Someone tried to tear it off but I had a spare which got glued on. Miss having a car, for more than lack of stickers.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:03 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I have a bit of difficulty understanding th concept of "advertising your faith".

I show my faith with my behavior. I don't wear symbols, because it is no one's business but mine what my faith is.

There is no such thing as missionary work in my faith. You are called or you are not. There is no recruiting. Without recruiting, there is no reason to open conversations with strangers about my faith.

Do Christians, Wiccans, and Jews wear symbols so that they can connect with each other? I really don't know. What I do know is that I can tell someone else is a Pagan, usually within a couple of hours., or two days at the most. That's because they show their faith with their behavior.

Just my personal life experience, but it seems to me that people of the assorted and various Earth based or nature based religions gravitate to each other, even before religion is ever mentioned.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
I wear a simple cross, but neither consider it "advertising" nor "blinging" my faith.

What ridiculous things some people choose to ascribe to others based on superficial observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism