Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,895 times

Advertisements

I found this thread on the Huntsville part of the Alabama forums. Here is a link to the original story. A Wiccan priest was invited to give the invocation at the beginning of the City Council meeting and then he was uninvited when the City Council discovered Mr. Blake was Wiccan. They cited "community fears" being the reason. Earlier this year, Mr. Blake had given the invocation at the beginning of the Huntsville City Council meeting, but at that time, nobody asked him what his faith was.

I'm not sure if the City Council actually had complaints from their constituents against having a Wiccan give the invocation or if they were just afraid that it might happen. It seems to me if you're going to have an invocation at the beginning of a government meeting, then you need to include ALL religions, not just one or two.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 02:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
What did they think he was when they first invited him, I wonder? If nothing went wrong the first time, what was supposed to happen this time?

Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
"Community fears" = politicians afraid of not being re-elected.

Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
I see a few problems here. First being why? Why does there need to be any sort of religion mixed in with a government event? I get that this is the Bible Belt, but still. Why?
And if there is to be prayers, then have the prayer be of a all encompassing and not faith specific. Or as was said, include prayers that represent the religions of those in attendance.

I commented on the other discussion, replying to a couple of things said in posts that are examples of what possibly could be deemed as 'community fears'.
One being the impression that Wicca is the same thing as witch, they are not. Wicca is a religion, witchcraft is a way of life and not a religion.

All boils down to people having fears about things they do not understand. Before anyone makes a claim, they should know what they are making such claims against.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:41 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
What did they think he was when they first invited him, I wonder? If nothing went wrong the first time, what was supposed to happen this time?
I was wondering the same thing. I read they didn't ask about his religion/faith before and there were no reported complaints at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
"Community fears" = politicians afraid of not being re-elected.
So true! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I see a few problems here. First being why? Why does there need to be any sort of religion mixed in with a government event? I get that this is the Bible Belt, but still. Why?
And if there is to be prayers, then have the prayer be of a all encompassing and not faith specific. Or as was said, include prayers that represent the religions of those in attendance.

I commented on the other discussion, replying to a couple of things said in posts that are examples of what possibly could be deemed as 'community fears'.
One being the impression that Wicca is the same thing as witch, they are not. Wicca is a religion, witchcraft is a way of life and not a religion.

All boils down to people having fears about things they do not understand. Before anyone makes a claim, they should know what they are making such claims against.
Agreed OwlKaMyst. You asked why - the answer is in bold. In my opinion, it is precisely because this is the Bible Belt that the City Council feels there needs to be any sort of religion mixed in with a government event. I always thought it was awfully presumptuous of some people to automatically assume everyone is a Christian and, more specifically, their version of Christianity. I do wish the folks who believe that they are being persecuted just because another faith is asking for the same rights they have would chill out and quit playing the persecution card.

Pagans have come a long way, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
I was wondering the same thing. I read they didn't ask about his religion/faith before and there were no reported complaints at that time.

So true! :-)

Agreed OwlKaMyst. You asked why - the answer is in bold. In my opinion, it is precisely because this is the Bible Belt that the City Council feels there needs to be any sort of religion mixed in with a government event. I always thought it was awfully presumptuous of some people to automatically assume everyone is a Christian and, more specifically, their version of Christianity. I do wish the folks who believe that they are being persecuted just because another faith is asking for the same rights they have would chill out and quit playing the persecution card.

Pagans have come a long way, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.
I believe the Tulsa city counsel (or OKC) has someone do a blessing at the opening of each new counsel. They have had a wiccan, a native american, several eastern faith reps and even a humanist. Then there is the great momnument on the state grounds battle.... I myself favor no more than a moment of silence for each to bless in their own way.

But if you must, you include everyone including the flying spagetti people and give each equal respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism