Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 04:53 PM

88 posts, read 108,685 times

Advertisements

What is your favorite Pagan book? No matter what Pagan path you follow, just curious to hear what others love to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,892,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpygirl40 View Post
What is your favorite Pagan book? No matter what Pagan path you follow, just curious to hear what others love to read.
I love Terry Pratchett, but in particular the Tiffany Aching books. There's something very sensible about the way she goes about her life.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
I've never considered whether or not the books I love are Pagan. I guess I've never separated my library into that category.

But my overall favourite form of fiction is high fantasy, a la Tolkien. Usually set in medieval-type worlds wherein magic trumps technology and pure hearts triumph over evil ones. Gods are occasionally featured and/or mentioned in passing but rarely play a central role in the plot(s).

Trouble is, nobody is writing anything good in that genre anymore. Everybody's up-chucking derivatives of Goodkind or Jordan or Martin in as multi-volumed-a-contract as their agent can wrangle.

And that multi-contract deal is the death knell of many a fine writer.

But since you asked...

I'm very fond of Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy*. Aside from Tolkien's, Williams' trilogy is the only one I've re-read. And will again, Reaper willing.

His Otherland series is also nothing less than superb and set in some distant now.

I also used to enjoy Robin Hobb. Her first couple of trilogies were fine. Then she gradually became too wordy and the story faded into insignificance to me. Her last couple of trilogies were meh. I couldn't finish the last one. Stopped early in the 2nd book. Never cracked the 3rd.

I've since learned not to buy the first book or two of a proposed trilogy. If I'm still alive when all are in print and reviews have been intriguing -- then I'll buy the works. But, as in the case of Ms Hobbs lately, that's been a burn.

And my latest seems to be Patrick Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind. I got sucked in by the fervent, drooling reviews from credible sources. Still, I held off until the second book came out to similar acclaim before buying both.

I've waded my way through 400-some pages over the course of a year.

I used to read that in a couple-few days.

Could not relate to Kvothe. Another magician-fighter-bard-intellectual-uber-hero with carefully-manicured flaws.

Anyway, if this thread lives a while, I'll likely have more to spout.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 PM

88 posts, read 108,685 times
Most of the time I don't separate books into categories either, but sometimes I do like to read a specifically pagan point of view. I also love outdoor books. All of the Woodswoman books by Anne LaBastille have been great. I like to read anything with Alaska as the subject as well!
In the pagan category I like books by Cliff Seruntine and Starhawk, as well as The Salmon In the Spring by Frank MacEowen. But I am always looking for new titles!

Old 02-22-2017, 10:29 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Specifically pagan and not just fantasy fiction The Spiral Dance by Starhawk.

Fiction, anything by Patricia Briggs, although I'm not sure how much that counts as Pagan, for all the fae and retired gods and mythical creatures. Not too much religion to it, except for maybe one or two paragraphs involving Coyote and where he lives.

For fiction, Jim Butcher, Harry Dresdon takes his power from the mystic but fights side by side sometime with a pure knight of Christ. It's one of the best series for blending pagan religion with Christianity without going all preachy or judgemental.

Fiction: Kevin Hearne, the iron Druid series. Includes the concept of choosing your religion based upon which version of the afterlife you wish to live in after your death.

Last edited by oregonwoodsmoke; 02-22-2017 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-22-2017, 02:38 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
I do like the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

But, I will say it. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Harry Potter. Read all the books I don't know how many times (including listening to the audiobooks with Stephan Fry reading). I was just telling Hubby that it is time to listen to them AGAIN. Gotta have my Harry Potter fix.

Cat

Old 02-22-2017, 05:11 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I do like the Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

But, I will say it. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Harry Potter. Read all the books I don't know how many times (including listening to the audiobooks with Stephan Fry reading). I was just telling Hubby that it is time to listen to them AGAIN. Gotta have my Harry Potter fix.

Cat
I have not read them. I am thinking about it. Maybe I should listen to the audiobooks on my driving days.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
In re-reading my post up-thread I nearly feel compelled to apologize for the semi-rant. Just a literary sore spot for me.

Nevermind.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:35 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,283,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I have not read them. I am thinking about it. Maybe I should listen to the audiobooks on my driving days.

There are two audio versions-Jim Dale & Stephen Fry. There is several videos on YouTube comparing the two. Like I said in my previous post, I prefer Stephen Fry.

I can say this without giving anything away in the story but the first book (especially at the beginning), has a bit of Roald Dahl flavor to it until J.K. Rowling found her own voice.

Cat

Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
There are two audio versions-Jim Dale & Stephen Fry. There is several videos on YouTube comparing the two. Like I said in my previous post, I prefer Stephen Fry.

I can say this without giving anything away in the story but the first book (especially at the beginning), has a bit of Roald Dahl flavor to it until J.K. Rowling found her own voice.

Cat
Interesting. I did see the first movie, although I am sure that, like all movies made from books, there's a lot more in the book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism